Loco image showing in block

Krazykrisbell

Hi

I've been trying a number of different software solutions to controlling my DCC system and I want to display the loco image in the blocks as it moves around the layout.

So far I've tried Rocrail & Itrain 5 neither if which seem to have the required ability.

Can anyone recommend a solution that will work for my requirement ?

Thanks

Chris

• 1 month later...

It definitely wasn't iTrain because what he wants is not available in iTrain which only leaves RocRail from his choices - but I don't think that RocRail will do what he wants either ;)

Perhaps he went for TC9 as that will present 'images' in blocks

3 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I don't think that RocRail will do what he wants either

My reading of the RocRail docs seems to indicate that it can display the image of a loco in a block. I have not tried to do this on my copy of RocRail as yet.

See here:

https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=rocgui-gen-en&s[]=block&s[]=displays&s[]=loco&s[]=image

Yours,  Mike.

Thanks, I was unaware that this could be done and saving the one picture in the link I have been unable to find any other examples. I note that it seems to replace all the block info therefore wonder how you tell which train the loco is attracted to? If you only have one loco of the type shown in the picture I guess that lack of information will work, but what happens when you have 2 or more examples of the same loco?

I think I will stick with the textual information that iTrain provides as it is more useful :)

38 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Andy, you shouldn’t assume anything.

read the link and you will see that you can’t ;)

Update

having looked at the roc rail docs a bit more it’s not really clear if both can be shown at the same time. There appears to be some tiny icons in the display box that may open other info. 

Well guys you're right , I opted for Rocrail , which does a good job at displaying the image in the block. It can also display the loco ID not sure it it can at the same time though.,

The Rocrail software seems quite flexible, in this area at least. The software , via the loconet feedback from the DR5088's , also detects the loco being removed from a block and placed in another block or just plain removed.