Bachmann's other lines - Thunderbirds are go!

AY Mod

• Moderators

BACHMANN EUROPE LAUNCHES NEW KIT RANGE WITH FIRST MCC ANNOUNCEMENTS

AiP.jpg

Following the success of its quarterly British Railway Announcements which were established at the start of 2020, Bachmann Europe Plc today unveiled its first ever Model, Collect, Create (MCC) Announcements.

Showcasing items from its extensive portfolio of model and hobby brands, the MCC Announcements will provide a quarterly update on new plastic kits, toys and collectables available from Bachmann stockists in the UK, and around the world. As with British Railway Announcements, new items unveiled in the MCC Announcements are due to arrive with Bachmann stockists over the course of the next three months. Headlining the announcements, Bachmann unveiled its new brand Adventures in Plastic (AiP) which provides nostalgic model kits for the discerning collector and modeller alike.

AiP launches with a range of ThunderbirdsTM plastic kits, produced under licence from ITV, which are sure to be popular. Bachmann also unveiled a new and exclusive Easy Model 1:144 scale Vulcan B2 Bomber. Depicting XM607 which played a pivotal role in the Falklands War and is now preserved, this model is fully assembled and painted and is supplied complete with display stand. Updates were also provided on the range of licensed Natural History Museum (NHM) Dinosaurs and the popular Toyway 1:12 scale Mk1 Chopper Bicycle; with further colour schemes announced whilst Bachmann confirmed further production of the popular Yellow and Orange variants.

TW41601.jpg

FAB NEW THUNDERBIRDSTM KITS LAUNCHED BY AiP

Thunderbirds.jpg

AIP10011.jpg

Headlining its first ever MCC Announcements, Bachmann Europe Plc today unveiled a range of ThunderbirdsTM plastic kits produced under its Adventures in Plastic (AiP) brand.

Comprising 11 different kits across a number of scales, modellers can construct detailed models of the vehicles from the original Thunderbirds TV series including all five Thunderbird crafts plus Fireflash, The Mole and Lady Penelope’s iconic car – FAB 1.

Debuting in the UK in 1965, ThunderbirdsTM has subsequently been watched by viewers around the world and even now is aired on Britbox to the delight of adoring fans both new and old. With prices starting at £29.99, each of the 11 kits are in stock in the UK ready to be dispatched to Bachmann stockists from the week commencing Monday 15th March 2021.

ROARSOME FUN GUARANTEED WITH NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM DINOSAURS

TW29100-1.jpg

As part of its Spring 2021 MCC Announcements, Bachmann Europe Plc today showcased its Dinosaur Collection produced in conjunction with the Natural History Museum.

Now available with new packaging which incorporates a fun and educational fact sheet, these authentic toys are safe for Dino fans aged three and over. Developed under the guidance of the Natural History Museum's researcher Dr. Paul Barrett, each creature has been painstakingly modelled and is then hand finished with authentic decoration, reflecting the latest data available from fossil records, and each is reproduced in 1:40 scale. With eight sets to choose from, these authentic Dinosaurs are sure to inspire the next generation of palaeontologists and are available from Bachmann stockists now.

BACHMANN VULCAN TAKES TO THE SKY

PKEA33309.jpg

Bachmann Europe Plc today announced its next exclusive Easy Model aircraft as part of its Spring 2021 MCC Announcements.

Available exclusively from Bachmann stockists in the UK and around the world, the new model depicts the Vulcan B2 in 1:144 scale. Modelled on XM607 which is now preserved at RAF Waddington, this Vulcan played a pivotal role during the Falklands War, successfully completing the first Operation Black Buck sortie, the RAF’s most daring attack since Operation Chastise – the Dambusters raid in World War Two. XM607 was piloted by Martin Withers during the first Black Buck sortie. Martin would go on to be Chief Pilot of the Vulcan To The Sky Trust’s XH558 and was at the controls for the final flight of XH558 in 2015.

The Vulcan B2 is the next Bachmann-exclusive aircraft to be produced by Easy Model and the first to be produced in 1:144 scale. A series of 1:72 scale models is already available from Bachmann stockists including the Eurofighter Typhoon, F-15E Strike Eagle and a collection of five aircraft which commemorate D-Day. All Easy Models are supplied fully assembled and painted and include a display stand.

Online catalogue - https://issuu.com/bachmann-europe/docs/mcc_spring_brochurehi

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm delighted with the Thunderbirds range, well done Bachmann! And also slightly relieved not to see this one in the listing, given how much time and money I've already sunk into it:

zerox12.jpg.41e8f1408dbafb065363aa452dd655dd.jpg

And here's a more affordable Fireflash (1/350th) from last year:

GA7.jpg.6daa74d12c2a96ca7f0fb516826c4ead.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Weird diversification!  Hornby tried doing ranges of stuff away from their traditional core and it didn't go well...

Dont Bachmann Europe distribute a variety of ranges ?  I think this is just an extension of that  rather than diversification .  I know they distribute Roden kits as I also model airliners and they have a rather nice 1/144 Super VC10. 

I think the Thunderbirds stuff will be great . Unfortunately its just 55 years too late for me!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the models and scales in the Thunderbirds sets, I'm guessing they owe something to the existing Aoshima kits. But those haven't always been easy to obtain (I've only seen a few of them in model shops) so it'll be good to have them more readily available on shelves.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

OK so who's going to be first to build a 7mm layout using the Natural History Museum Dinosaurs - at a scale of 1:40 that's almost O Gauge!!

Mike

The dinos in Crystal Palace gardens are quite close to the railway line.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Weird diversification!  Hornby tried doing ranges of stuff away from their traditional core and it didn't go well...

Not so much a diversification as a broadening of the range of brands they distribute into the UK retail market.  Provided they can do it profitably (why else would they do it than in order to make a profit?) it broadens the business base and will probably help cash flow.  Don't forget that in many respects Bachmann Europe is as much a channel to distribute and market other brands as it is a marketing and distribution front line concern for a Chinese model railway manufacturer.   Nobody seems to have thought it 'weird' that they are the UK distributor for the Woodland Scenics range - which is US owned and  has nothing to do with the Kader parent company.

So hardly 'diversification' in the way Hornby has tried various things over the years but distribution and marketing of other brands in the hoody area.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Maybe we will also see Captain Scarlet themed vehicles and aircraft in the future.

A fully detailed SPV would be a must have model !

Ahhh Destiny Angel  !   Now I did have an Airfix 1/72 Angel Interceptor . One of my first kits as a boy . Glue everywhere (some things never change ). Strangely enough my parents thought nothing about letting me lose on an airfix kit and a tube of glue . Parked at the back of the room it was a good way of keeping me quiet for a while .   

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The Angel Interceptor was re-released a while back with a superb set of decals. I started this one the day Gerry Anderson died:

angel.jpg.5eea42e257edd09f156108351b9e328d.jpg

It's labelled as 1/72nd scale but I think it's agreed to be a bit small for that, unless the WAF Viper (the production variant from which

the Spectrum version was adapted) was an unusually small fighter.

Can you tell I'm into this stuff?

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Legend said:

Ahhh Destiny Angel  !   Now I did have an Airfix 1/72 Angel Interceptor . One of my first kits as a boy . Glue everywhere (some things never change ). Strangely enough my parents thought nothing about letting me lose on an airfix kit and a tube of glue . Parked at the back of the room it was a good way of keeping me quiet for a while .   

I seem to remember ruining an otherwise half decent attempt at building one by painting a very wobbly black A on the underside of mine....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

I seem to remember ruining an otherwise half decent attempt at building one by painting a very wobbly black A on the underside of mine....

I thought that came in the Decal set .  Might be wrong , was a long time ago !

1 minute ago, Tim Hall said:

I don't remember one, but I've been to bed since then....

Mines handpainted as well, so unlikely to have been a decal supplied with the original kit.

They failed to provide them for the ones on the Japanese made kit of Cloudbase that I have as well...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Why oh why do they always mix scales? !!

I understand some would appear huge / perhaps be too expensive, and others too small ... but it just makes more sense.

Pity.

I think TB1 and TB3 for me ...

That Vulcan's superb ... as was the original.

Interesting mix of products and ideas.

Al.

• Agree 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Bachmann includes the entire Pocketbond range, which is very extensive - https://www.bachmann.co.uk/category/construction-kits

Andy and I have drooled over some of this when we've filmed at Bachmann events in the past and during our walk around the warehouse.

I notice the Mole is nearly OO/EM/P4 scale. Put it on a Lowmac and turn the screw on to deal with tunnels...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
Just now, atom3624 said:

Why oh why do they always mix scales? !!

There's not really a good compromise scale that works well with all the Thunderbirds models, unfortunately. If you decide that TB2 is the most iconic one, and set the scale accordingly, you end up with a tiny TB1 and a huge TB3.

• Agree 2

The Anderson kits that I bought about 30 years ago were all made by Imai - having just checked a couple of boxes from them that I use for storage of model parts/transfers.

The scales were all over the place with those as well, so much so that the Cloudbase model looks if it has used a rubber ruler like LGB/Piko for their G scale model trains!   The Interceptors are huge compared with the scale of Cloudbase itself. The Thunderbird ones are a lot more basic and didn't come with transfers.

I have Captain Scarlet and UFO models from them as well as the Thunderbird ones.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Why oh why do they always mix scales?!!

One thing that really annoys me is that. Take Corgi for example. They have a superb diecast aircraft collection (I have one of their Spitfires displayed on Draxbridge and a Sea King lying about somewhere...)  but all of the aircraft are different sizes. Take the Lancaster for example. The model is a lot smaller that the Spitfire and Hurricane when in reality, the real thing is bigger than the both of them. 

13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I notice the Mole is nearly OO/EM/P4 scale. Put it on a Lowmac and turn the screw on to deal with tunnels...

And Thunderbird one is almost N scale 1:144 so I can see that appearing on a few N gauge Layouts (mine included)