Bachmann's other lines - Thunderbirds are go!

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

I notice the Mole is nearly OO/EM/P4 scale. Put it on a Lowmac and turn the screw on to deal with tunnels...

good luck with that, i have built the mole from Aoshima, from which these kits are derived, and it is huge, even in almost oo gauge. it would dwarf a lowmac wagon!

when you look at the mole, you can only imagine how big a 1/72 Thunderbird 2 would be!

• Like 2

for anyone interested in the 144 scale Thunderbird 1 and 3 i have built them here in my thread.

I've also built, fireflash, FAB 1, The Mole and Thunderbirds 4 and 5. i can upload pics for those interested. 

i have the recovery vehicle and excavator yet to build. 

fingers crossed Bachmann re-released Zero-X. 

Edited by Dan Griffin
added a link
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Seems a bit strange covering these non-railway items — merely because they are distributed by Bachmann — when you haven't in the past covered Airfix kits, which are distributed (and indeed "made") by Hornby, or Corgi (same applies). Does this represent a change in policy, and will you be giving coverage to similar products distributed by rival concerns to Bachmann, for example those mentioned here?

• Like 3

Very interested to see what these are like. It looks like they are going for the pre-coloured plastic route. If so, they will have a real job on their hands matching the gold standard that is the Bandai Star Wars kits. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

One thing that really annoys me is that. Take Corgi for example. They have a superb diecast aircraft collection (I have one of their Spitfires displayed on Draxbridge and a Sea King lying about somewhere...)  but all of the aircraft are different sizes. Take the Lancaster for example. The model is a lot smaller that the Spitfire and Hurricane when in reality, the real thing is bigger than the both of them. 

You do know they do the aviation archive range with them all in 1/72? The smaller models are done to the box size which is common across all diecast toy ranges and are in the kids toy ranges. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

It's gonna be pretty big i imagine

I think TB2 is supposed to be about 250 feet long so it'll scale out at more than 3 feet. There's a reason most

airliner kits are 1/144.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

You do know they do the aviation archive range with them all in 1/72? The smaller models are done to the box size which is common across all diecast toy ranges and are in the kids toy ranges. 

I am aware that Airfix and Revell do kits in 1:72 scale. i have a few myself

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pretty sure Corgi do (or have done) a 1:72 Lancaster. Big, with a price to match.

The talk about different scales and "scaled to fit the box" reminds me of Matchbox models when I was young. Some were OO scale, some as large as 1:64, some about 1:100 and some more suitable for 'N'. More recently, Minitrains have done pretty much the same thing with their HOe models…

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I am aware that Airfix and Revell do kits in 1:72 scale. i have a few myself

Corgi do too 

https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Corgi-AA32626-Avro-Lancaster-B1-PA474-Battle-of-Britain-Memorial-Flight-172_N108532357

They’ve also done the Vulcan, B17 and Catalina and no doubt more in 1/72. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Pretty sure Corgi do (or have done) a 1:72 Lancaster. Big, with a price to match.

It’s about the same as a loco £130-150 so not bad for a fully finished metal model of that size. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Does this represent a change in policy,

No but it's interesting and it helps illustrate there is more to Bachmann than just model railways. Besides, it looks like a few have enjoyed the diversion. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

These are diecast?

Yes. They’ve been doing them for years, it’s a huge range and very nicely done. Must be 20 or more years now. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No but it's interesting and it helps illustrate there is more to Bachmann than just model railways. Besides, it looks like a few have enjoyed the diversion. 

Plus a few are in near railway scales and might be shoehorned in if you’re doing something at home akin to the GMR tv layouts ;)  I built R2D2, C3PO, various other figures and a speeder bike on our HO club layout years ago and popped them in inconspicuous places for kids to find. 

• Like 5

Having looked, i cannot see if they have maintained the mechanisms in the mole and Thunderbird 5. 

With careful building they work and work well. My mole for example moves forward/reverse and the drill and lights work.  Thunderbird 5 has lights and revolves on its stand and Thunderbird 4's front lights worked. 

it'll be interesting to see if these features have been kept as the price (on rails) is the same as the previous Aoshima prices. 

• Like 2

The Rails e-mail includes more items ;

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/3400/thunderbirds-model-kits

THUNDERBIRD 1 MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10001 | 1:144 Scale

£29.99

More details

THUNDERBIRD 2 WITH THUNDERBIRD 4 MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10002 | 1:350

£29.99

More details

THUNDERBIRD 3 MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10003 | 1:350

£35.99

More details

THUNDERBIRD 4 MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10004 | 1:48 Scale

£45.99

More details

THUNDERBIRD 5 WITH THUNDERBIRD 3 MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10005 | N/A

£75.99

More details

THUNDERBIRDS FIREFLASH MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10006 | 1:350

£45.99

More details

THUNDERBIRDS THE MOLE MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10007 | 1:72

£45.99

More details

THUNDERBIRDS FAB 1 MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10008 | 1:32

£29.99

More details

THUNDERBIRD 1 LAUNCH BAY MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10009 | 1:350

£45.99

More details

TRANSPARENT THUNDERBIRD 2 MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10010 | 1:350

£45.99

More details

THUNDERBIRD 2 LAUNCH BAY MODEL KITBy AIP | Code: AIP10011 | 1:350

£89.99

More details

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Seems a bit strange covering these non-railway items — merely because they are distributed by Bachmann — when you haven't in the past covered Airfix kits, which are distributed (and indeed "made") by Hornby, or Corgi (same applies). Does this represent a change in policy, and will you be giving coverage to similar products distributed by rival concerns to Bachmann, for example those mentioned here?

Possibly due to interests of the OP?

There were previous threads in the Hornby section for Airfix and Scalextric but very few people contributed. I remember discussing the Wacky Races and Looney Tunes sets for example.

Jason

• Like 1