Building a 'Star' Class locomotive at Swindon

That’s wonderful and I note the BFI state the correct build date.  Interesting to note the different attire of the younger guy supervising the boiler test as well as the older, bowler hatted supervisor looking at both the final assembly and painting.

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I think that's more likely to be a paint shop with a glass roof, rather than outside. 

I reckon the Paint Shop had closed by 1913.  i'm not sure if Peck has a date for the closure and i can't check at the moment as the bookcase which contains it is in the sewing, aka dining, room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can find no reference to the closure of the old paint shop from a cursory skim of Peck.

In the film, judging by the brick facade and its window in the background, I still think the tender painting and insignia application are taking place outside, probably to give the camera good lighting conditions.

• Agree 5

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

That's annoying… try this one:

Not as good quality, & some of it seems out of sequence, but still interesting. If that doesn't work try a hunt for "GWR Great Western Railway engine building at Swindon 1912. Film 951" - one of the Huntley Archive series. Heavily watermarked & lo-res but still…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1