Hornby Announce L&MR 0-4-2 "Lion"?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Edge said:

I was literally writing the same thing and spotted your thread before I posted :)

lord, please have mercy on my wallet, I’m already giving Hornby £1000 this year...

It sounds as if it was coming out next year - or at least that was the initial intension. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting . Odd timing . You do wonder if they caught whiff of someone else doing it . I was surprised that it didn't appear in 2021 catalogue  as I felt sure they would capitalise on success of Rocket 

Not one for me I'm afraid . Seduced by the Tri-ang Rocket I bought one and it now sits in the bookcase as an expensive ornament .  Will be interesting to see if this starts period 1 layouts . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, tractionman said:

it's a nice looking loco, 'Lion', here in 1930 from Flickr (live link):

Exactly. Another bon-bon for the 1930s LMS modeller, along with the carriages. All that's needed now is a George the Fifth (from 5:08):

Oh, and some fully-lined ex-LNWR carriages...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

For me a bucket list locomotive, as i went to Rainhill 150 when i was very small and enjoyed a number of rides behind Lion when she was allowed out to play from Liverpool Museum. Looking back it is remarkable that the loco was restored for use, we were very lucky to see her in steam. 183 years old now.

I wonder how many locomotives we are off from being able to recreate Rainhill 150 from ready to run products? 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, banburysaint said:

I wonder how many locomotives we are off from being able to recreate Rainhill 150 from ready to run products? 

"Yes, yes, she'll run. She's as good as she ever was. I'll stake my living on it."

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, tractionman said:

it's a nice looking loco, 'Lion', here in 1930 from Flickr (live link):

Liverpool-Manchester Railway - LMR 0-4-2 steam locomotive Nr. 57 LION (Todd, Kitson & Laird Locomotive Works, Leeds 1838)

cheers,

Keith

So , the only two locomotives that definitely ran with these carriages from Hornby (Lion + replica Rocket) have both been done ......

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 3