Hornby Announce L&MR 0-4-2 "Lion"?

MGR Hooper!

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Can anyone point to drawing/photo of what it looked like before it was restored to c1840 condition? It was in use as a loco until c1874, and its hard to believe that it didn't get modified during its life.

There are photos of it after it was removed from the dock where it was in use as a pumping engine and it looked pretty much as it is now apart from it had no tender and it had a different type of firebox.

spacer.png

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Todd,_Kitson_and_Laird:_Lion

https://www.newton-le-willows.com/?p=1751

Try and find the book about it's restoration

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lion-Story-Oldest-Working-Locomotive/dp/0906367042/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lion+locomotive&qid=1615230045&s=books&sr=1-1

Ignore the revisionist theories though. Of course it's Lion and any notion otherwise is total nonsense.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10

When the lms overhauled her the owning group had little money so gave the lms cart blanche to do what they would. Tender is a replica of a furness railway locomotive tender I believe and the rest the works flight of fancy. Il have to dig out my book on lion I think. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

The firebox was always like that, the outer casing is false.

It's had a new firebox since then though. Two I think. The current one is a roundtop.

I can actually say I'm one of the few people who has driven the thing. :D

I was meant to do a full firing turn, but I couldn't for various reasons but did have a go at driving it. 

Jason

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, paullad1984 said:

When the lms overhauled her the owning group had little money so gave the lms cart blanche to do what they would. Tender is a replica of a furness railway locomotive tender I believe and the rest the works flight of fancy. Il have to dig out my book on lion I think. 

The tender is from a FR 0-4-0 which were converted to tank engines.

Two of which survive. One was rebuilt back into a tender locomotive.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, scots region said:

I can't find the page, could I get a link?

I think from the smiley he’s being a bit tongue in cheek, considering the recent farrago of Hatton cancelling hundreds of pre orders. I’m sure I’ll pre-order it in due course, but not from Hattons. Once bitten etc.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

The tender is from a FR 0-4-0 which were converted to tank engines.

Two of which survive. One was rebuilt back into a tender locomotive.

Jason

Wrong type of tender, if you look at furness 20s tender it's a completely different design. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paullad1984 said:

Wrong type of tender, if you look at furness 20s tender it's a completely different design. 

That's a replica though and tenders did get swapped around.

The tender Lion got was found somewhere in Barrow. I can't remember the full story off hand but it came from a FR 0-4-0 and had been in use for other purposes since the locomotives were converted. Probably a water or sludge carrier.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's a replica though and tenders did get swapped around.

The tender Lion got was found somewhere in Barrow. I can't remember the full story off hand but it came from a FR 0-4-0 and had been in use for other purposes since the locomotives were converted. Probably a water or sludge carrier.

Jason

I understand the present tender was built using parts from an old FR tender, so looking for a very strong resemblance may be fruitless.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Legend said:

Interesting . Odd timing . You do wonder if they caught whiff of someone else doing it . I was surprised that it didn't appear in 2021 catalogue  as I felt sure they would capitalise on success of Rocket 

Not one for me I'm afraid . Seduced by the Tri-ang Rocket I bought one and it now sits in the bookcase as an expensive ornament .  Will be interesting to see if this starts period 1 layouts . 

There have been rumours about it since well before Christmas which made me wonder at one stage if it was going to be a 2021 announcement?  But in retrospect I now wonder if there was a mix up somewhere and the rumour that Hornby were doing it had started because someone else was working on it?   Or was it originally intended to come out alongside the 2021 L&MR rolling stock but was put back for some reason?   Or maybe more recently someone else has been sniffing round Liverpool Museums? Simple answer to all that is that we'll never know and Hornby have gone public well in advance of their normal approach to life and if somebody else was sniffing round they will presumably have been frightened off?

So basically it'll be here when it arrives and with all Hornby's recent experience with some very tiny locos they should be able to make a very good job of it.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There have been rumours about it since well before Christmas which made me wonder at one stage if it was going to be a 2021 announcement?  But in retrospect I now wonder if there was a mix up somewhere and the rumour that Hornby were doing it had started because someone else was working on it?   Or was it originally intended to come out alongside the 2021 L&MR rolling stock but was put back for some reason?   Or maybe more recently someone else has been sniffing round Liverpool Museums? Simple answer to all that is that we'll never know and Hornby have gone public well in advance of their normal approach to life and if somebody else was sniffing round they will presumably have been frightened off?

So basically it'll be here when it arrives and with all Hornby's recent experience with some very tiny locos they should be able to make a very good job of it.

I think it was likely from the statements Hornby put out around Rocket releases that this was coming. It's the perfect companion for the 1930s replica coaches, after all. I am pleased to see the release confirmed.

I suspect a Titfield Thundebolt version will also be released; Hornby presumably have acquired rights here, as they've had a release based on the film in the past, IIRC.

Personally, I am delighted that a model of this will be available, and sooner than later.  I have a Todd Kitson & Laird 0-4-2 on the roster, but it's a rather rustic affair, so I'll be glad of the upgrade!

1572057414_IMG_1362-Copy.JPG.8f38c06aac25a857cb65abbeb80e838e.jpg.387cfdf5b890cddc2e258883ebd151f1.jpg

• Like 17
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, AMJ said:

Presume that the coupling system will be same as Rocket.  

You'd assume so, it wouldn't make sense* to produce the extra passenger and goods stock with the Rocket couplings otherwise!

* Though we are talking about Hornby...

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

We're not sure if we can 'claim a hit' with this one, but The Quirky Poll Team had Lion listed under the heading of Titfield Thunderbolt in the 2020 Quirky Poll...and that came chuffing in as the Top Polling item. 

Lion (per se) was suggested by a voter, but we wrapped it into The Titfield Thunderbolt heading to be 'quirky'. We will wait to see if Thunderbolt comes along in the future.

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

PS: The second highest-polling item in 2020 was Bellerophon and that has recently been announced by KR Models. The Top Polling item in 2019 was Rocket and that was announced by Hornby.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

You made me laugh so hard... I now have a stomach ache. :laugh_mini::lol_mini2:

Does Hattons sell any sort of medication to help? 

But the fact that we are all laughing about Hattons pre orders , should give Hattons cause for concern .  I think theyve just lost a sizable chunk of business on all Hornby pre-orders 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The Thunderbolt :) very nice, I’d been hoping they would. 

Problem is, having to acquire a 14xx to go with it................

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1