Hornby Announce L&MR 0-4-2 "Lion"?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Just because the GWR didn't paint them yellow :help:

At least I recognised it as something other than a paneer deliberate mis-spelling

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

There are plenty available from several sources.

Ray

Quite , but as some will know, I have an aversion to Swindon stuff..........

18 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Isn't that an Indian dish ?

Ray

It's a form of cheese.

Enough of the anti-GWR sentiment......

:D

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Think this will be a great idea and fantastic to follow Rocket. Like the previous model I can see there being Lion done but also its alter ego Thunderbolt as a Limited edition pack somewhere and the demand for these or even a standard release will be through the roof. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AMJ said:

Presume that the coupling system will be same as Rocket.  

She won't couple! This type of coupling didn't come in until 30 years later. 33 to be precise. 1875, yes you are quite right Ollie!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

34 minutes ago, didcot said:

She won't couple! This type of coupling didn't come in until 30 years later. 33 to be precise. 1875, yes you are quite right Ollie!

you give me time i can rig up something that'll tow the queen mary.

time? we don't have a fireman!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I approve heartily.  Period 1 modelling has a lot going for it in terms of minimum space layouts, with a lot of sector plates and wagon turntables in conjunction with short stock.  The obvious next issues are Planet and Patentee. 

I forsee a number of 'generic' early locos; Jennys, Sharpies, Cramptons, Bury Coppernobs, Long Boilers, and generic passenger and goods stock to run with them, perhaps some suitable trackage and turnouts as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But this isn't Period 1 modelling - it's whatever period late pre-war LMS is...

... Period 3, no? At least the Coronation Scot carriages are.

The replica coaches were built under EH Lemon, so they're Period 2 coaches

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

The replica coaches were built under EH Lemon, so they're Period 2 coaches

Good point - for the centenary in 1930. Lion was also fettled up for that, along with one of the Rocket replicas.

So yes, ideal to run with either of the LMS-liveried Jumbos from Rails.

• Agree 3

Other than as pertains to the classification of LMS coaches, there is no such thing as "Period 1"

The 'era system', as my Yorkshire grandmother would say, is neither use nor ornament as a guide to matching stock on a model railway. Rather, it is positively misleading.

It serves merely to mask the actual period during which a a prototype was likely to have run in the particular condition depicted by a model, and implies that all manner of things that could never in reality have been seen together may be legitimately combined. Which is nonsense.

"Period" or "Era" 1, for instance, encompasses both Rocket and the Stirling Single. As I say, neither use nor ornament!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Skinnylinny said:

Well, that explains why the Hornby announcement came out...

Well the product announcement is dated 1 April, so be warned!

That said, it almost makes sense. Rapido make the J70 for Model Rail, who thought hard about a W&UT coach to go with it - well, if Titfield sales could make the difference in viability terms .....

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

There are photos of it after it was removed from the dock where it was in use as a pumping engine and it looked pretty much as it is now apart from it had no tender and it had a different type of firebox.

spacer.png

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Todd,_Kitson_and_Laird:_Lion

https://www.newton-le-willows.com/?p=1751

Try and find the book about it's restoration

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lion-Story-Oldest-Working-Locomotive/dp/0906367042/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lion+locomotive&qid=1615230045&s=books&sr=1-1

Ignore the revisionist theories though. Of course it's Lion and any notion otherwise is total nonsense.

Thus conclusively proving that someone was trying to convert it to P4 a long time ago.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Skinnylinny said:

Well, that explains why the Hornby announcement came out...

It's not quite a not-Thomas situation. Since nearly all the railway equipment in the film had an existence independent of the film, the exclusive rights can only apply to representations of them in the context of the film, not otherwise. There's nothing to prevent another manufacturer issuing a model of a 14xx Class 0-4-2T as No. 1401 (or No. 1450), or of Lion, otherwise than as Thunderbolt, or issue a GW brakevan numbered W68740 - as has been done. So the exclusivity seems a little shaky.

But I trust Rapido are making full use of Simon Castens' magnum opus.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It's not quite a not-Thomas situation. Since nearly all the railway equipment in the film had an existence independent of the film, the exclusive rights can only apply to representations of them in the context of the film, not otherwise. There's nothing to prevent another manufacturer issuing a model of a 14xx Class 0-4-2T as No. 1401 (or No. 1450), or of Lion, otherwise than as Thunderbolt, or issue a GW brakevan numbered W68740 - as has been done. So the exclusivity seems a little shaky.

I have just ordered one each of David Eveleigh's new W&UT coach etches (for which Guy Rixon of this Parish is 3D printing the 'castings'), so, with my D&S pair, I'll have all the W&UT coaches I have planned for.

It seems inevitable, therefore, that someone will now make one RTR!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Although as you note, no one else can do Lion as Thunderbolt, and only one manufacturer will be able to do nice 1950s poster art Titfield Thunderbolt packaging (which, ironically, Hornby have done before). 

as someone who will be buying entirely because of the film this pushes me in Rapido’s direction, and also leaves a nasty taste.

I’m not going to say I’ll never buy Hornby again as that’s cutting off the nose to spite the face, but immediately before writing this I did leave an instruction on my dealing platform to sell all my Hornby shares.

As a shareholder (albeit a very minor one) this is me done.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1