Hornby Announce L&MR 0-4-2 "Lion"?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

I watched the proper The Italian Job at the weekend. I've never bothered with the remake, and never shall, because you can't improve on perfection.

Wish I'd thought that way, you can't unsee the remake, though I have just about got over the trauma!

John

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Wish I'd thought that way, you can't unsee the remake, though I have just about got over the trauma!

John

The remake was so unmemorable, I've quite forgotten it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Hornby sell things by putting them in a red box that says 'Hornby' on it.

Others don't have that luxury. 

They just put them in different coloured boxes and have other people fawning over them.

Craig W

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

That is a great film. Someone told me there was a remake. Some films come out perfect first time and do not need a remake.

You do not want to see the remake. The word dire seems inadequate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Maybe we'll get more insights about Hornby's recent operations from this:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/uktvs-yesterday-channel-announces-new-Hornby-series-this-autumn

i wonder if this is what Jenny is filming at the minute but can't say much about (she mentioned it on her youtube channel a day or so ago)?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Of course we must, and we will, I'm sure, sooner or later.  But I am reminded of Saint Augustine of Hippo, an early christian hardliner who surprisingly prayed 'Lord, grant me chastity.  But not yet...'.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

And remember

image.png.dcd7c2c5746dd74e1050be517af45992.png

Sorry, I can't attribute this one properly, but I found it in a folder on my hard drive called "Wild Swan sillypics" from August 2017, so I imagine its from an MRJ post here from back then...

• Like 5
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

He also stated that, when he reached an age at which he was no longer bothered by what he called the 'demons of the flesh', it was like being unchained from a maniac (yeah, right on 'Gus, testify, brother).  Having attained this stage in life myself, I sort of know what he means, but I miss my 'demons', manaical  though they sometimes certainly were (they had appalling taste in unsuitable women, and had to overruled, sometimes with some effort, but they were fun).  Interesting guy, if you like that sort of thing; my impression is that he was the sort of traditionalist that would have preferred 0 gauge, finescale and clockwork driven, but he comes in with these left field comments every so often and I may be wrong.  IIRC he was the guy who called Pelagius, the originator of the Pelagian Heresy in the British Church, a 'fat smelly Pict', though of course I have no idea if this was true!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

IIRC he was the guy who called Pelagius, the originator of the Pelagian Heresy in the British Church, a 'fat smelly Pict', though of course I have no idea if this was true!

That Pelagius was fat and smelly (and a Pict) or that Augustine of Hippo said so?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

That Pelagius was fat and smelly (and a Pict) or that Augustine of Hippo said so?

Pelagius taught that man could achieve perfection by his own efforts without the grace of God. He would, therefore, have been a P4 modeller.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Pelagius taught that man could achieve perfection by his own efforts without the grace of God. He would, therefore, have been a P4 modeller.

Oh dear......

Perhaps Augustine of Hippo should have described Pelagius as a drunken etc etc....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Even P4 modellers receive the Grace of God.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It is true that HippoGus said so.  I believe Pelagious was a Pict by ethnicity, but know nothing of his BMI or personal hygiene.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Oh dear......

Perhaps Augustine of Hippo should have described Pelagius as a drunken etc etc....

Perhaps HippoGus wasn't perfect himself, especially in the matter of slave girls, and should have not been casting stones.

23 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Even P4 modellers receive the Grace of God.

Yes, even them, assuming that there is a god of grace, a matter I am unqualified to comment on and will keep my opinion of to myself here, then surely all must recieve it but the damned. AFAIK P4 modellers are not damned unless they have committed Mortal Sin for which have not confessed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Johnster said:

Yes, even them, assuming that there is a god of grace, a matter I am unqualified to comment on and will keep my opinion of to myself here, then surely all must recieve it but the damned. AFAIK P4 modellers are not damned unless they have committed Mortal Sin for which have not confessed.

It was really the pursuit of perfection I had in mind, without really wanting to get into the theological detail. 

St Augustine really was the start of our "western" way of thinking - the first modern man.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In many ways, yes, a product of the Classical world and of great intellect, one of a series of early christian philosophers that were instrumental in the formative years of christian, and by association, western thinking and morality.  Much of his stuff involves something not unlike the rationality of scientific experimental discipline; he needed to prove to himself that his ideas were right by dissassembling and rebuilding them, very much a modern approach, as is the idea that each individual is responsible to god for his own actions, having free will and choice, and the guidance of scripture and the creedo.

Pelagius was a Pict, so it reasonable to assume he liked a drink now and then...

• Like 2

On 09/03/2021 at 08:39, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

We're not sure if we can 'claim a hit' with this one, but The Quirky Poll Team had Lion listed under the heading of Titfield Thunderbolt in the 2020 Quirky Poll...and that came chuffing in as the Top Polling item. 

Lion (per se) was suggested by a voter, but we wrapped it into The Titfield Thunderbolt heading to be 'quirky'. We will wait to see if Thunderbolt comes along in the future.

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

PS: The second highest-polling item in 2020 was Bellerophon and that has recently been announced by KR Models. The Top Polling item in 2019 was Rocket and that was announced by Hornby.

Bernard, I cannot tell you how happy I was to read this. I had completely missed the Bellerophon announcement. It didn't even have a dedicated topic in the KR Models section. So, thank you.

I would encourage everyone to registered their interest on the KR Models website.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1