Wire size for Peco/ Guagemaster Point Motors

Butler

Hi

I ought to know this, having been a marine electrician, telephone engineer etc, low voltage stuff all my life, so I guess I am only checking. I have fitted dozens of Peco surface mount motors to my layout, and within reason and experience, not taken too much care on wire size, and had no problems at all, but upon expanding the layout with longer runs to the points, I’ve found the motors don’t operate well with the wire I’ve used, prob about 0.1 to 0.15mm2. Peco and Guagemaster suggest 7/0.2 cable which I think equates to about 0.2mm2. ? But I would have thought perhaps not quite big enough. I’m talking about maybe 7 metres run to furthest points

I know I could sit there and work out voltage drop per amp per metre. But in practice experience is more use.

any ideas

B

You don't say if you are using a capacitor dicharge unit, but 7m is a fair old run even with. Personally,  at that distance I would be starting with 24/02 (0.75mm2), you can allways add another one in parallel with a very short 7/02 to the point motor itself. Ultimately it depends on the mechanical load to get the point across allowing for the over centre springs etc.

Yes I’m using a CDU which helps a lot. It’s just strange that Guagemaster sell wire 7/0.2 specifically for their motors, but don’t state max run. I was thinking that for the long run, 0.5 to 0.75mm2 , the others are 1.5 metres and 4 metres run. These are just sidings not seen,  so not worried about hiding anything too much!

thanks

B