OHLE and Baseboard Joints

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to deal with overhead power lines and baseboard joints. The Sommerfeldt description states that it "is recommended only for permanent and stable layouts." Is there a way to adapt it in order to split boards for transportation?

Any help appreciated

John

Yes I simply unclipped the span(s) that crossed the joint, generally they were the longer ones so were pretty flexible.

Don't want to discourage you but I've had two portable layouts that had OHLE. I found that the the wires and masts were susceptable to damage, The regular dismantling and rebuilding did not help. I found that the alignment could shift causing dewirement and on one occasion a panto dewired and was badly twisted.

Having said all that I have seen at shows a number of OHLE layouts and they always seem to work well and look very good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree entirely with what John has said. You will want to devise some form of crate for transport that protects the boards very well for transport.

The other recommendation would be for the OHE to just be decorative with the pantographs fixed to run just below it, not touching. Not so realistic but much more trouble free.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm currently installing OLE on a layout for Pete Waterman, the layout is being displayed at Chester Cathedral during the summer,  a short video is available on you-tube called 'Making Tracks', the OLE is fully tensioned as per prototype so the contact wire is kept taught all the time although at the time of filming the tensioners were not installed [see 'Railnuts' facebook page for a picture of two tensioners]. When the layout is dismantled the tension is released at both ends of each wire run to allow removal of the wires at board joints. Keeping the wire taught makes running a pantograph in contact with the wire more reliable.

• Like 1

Hello there,

Slightly off topic, but i saw the Hornby channel video about this on YouTube and thought wow !!!

I too, am in the process of having a layout built in OO gauge which depicts an electric depot inspired by Crewe IEMD called Johnson Street IEMD.

I am using PECO (single track masts where applicable) and nBrass Multi-track spans and scratch built cantilevers - the catenary masts pictured were just for show at the time of photographing and won't be part of the finished build.

I have also been assembling a nicely modern era-11 DB Cargo fleet including the Malcolm Class 90 (90024) and wondered if there might be some way Malcolm could get to stretch his legs here at Chester, given DB run daily Malcolm rail services on the WCML and it's quite a sight with a rake of blue boxes - I did wonder having seen the stock you had in the video whether it was just going to be a BR blue era thing but you could always do different era running sessions during the time there possibly - it would be great for those who come along especially the younger generation with the exhibition being there for some time.

Maybe Hornby could provide you with a full length Pendelino as well, how good would that be?

Kind regards 

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

20210520_215130.jpg

Edited by DBC90024

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/05/2021 at 11:37, dmu 156 said:

I'm currently installing OLE on a layout for Pete Waterman, the layout is being displayed at Chester Cathedral during the summer,  a short video is available on you-tube called 'Making Tracks', the OLE is fully tensioned as per prototype so the contact wire is kept taught all the time although at the time of filming the tensioners were not installed [see 'Railnuts' facebook page for a picture of two tensioners]. When the layout is dismantled the tension is released at both ends of each wire run to allow removal of the wires at board joints. Keeping the wire taught makes running a pantograph in contact with the wire more reliable.

Hi Aron @dmu 156

Whats going to happen to the OLE at the end of this build ? I would be interested in procuring some of it possibly, especially the more usual pieces such as the terminating OLE points, whether they are purely single track in form, as my layout plans require both - as seen singular on the approach to Crewe from Chester - and for the double track - at Basford Hall depot where OLE comes to and end above the loco. It would be good to talk to you about this as well - being a big fan of OLE myself - and seeing how much OLE on this layout is also fascinating for me.

Kind Regards

Kat

• RMweb Gold

The OLE on the layout  is permanantly fixed except the wire at baseboard joints, these can be unhooked once the tension has been eased. The tensioner assemblies are made by me from brass and are dully working. I propose to do an indepth article on installing, tensioning and building the parts needed. Lookout for a more indepth article on the layout itself in the August BRM magazine as well as videos on the BRM youtube channel. I will be at the show at sometime after the 17th of July.

Aron

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For anyone going to see the Chester Cathedral layout, I will be there on the 20th and 21st of July and will answer any questions regarding the OLE. I will be there at other times but will keep you posted as and when.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmu 156 said:

For anyone going to see the Chester Cathedral layout, I will be there on the 20th and 21st of July and will answer any questions regarding the OLE. I will be there at other times but will keep you posted as and when.

I'm planning to go at some point.

I have made an attempt at modelling OLE about 20 years ago but I need to do it again & want to make a much better job of it...so I'll be very keen to see how it looks.

• 3 weeks later...