Left for Titfield!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

Why would any company need licencing rights over a 70 year old film containing vehicles already in the public domain? 

It's been remastered in recent years (and very well too).  Not sure if that creates a new copyright date or not.

34 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

We've 22 days of this to go ...are they or aren't they?.......

Classic Catch 22 - only a madman would announce a Lion a couple of days after Hornby, but you'd have to be mad to want to do a Lion in the first place.

Not mad. Savvy.

Looking at it i would think Hornby approached whoever holds the rights to the film for permission for a Thunderbolt model only to find that ‘someone else’ i.e, Rapido, had already beaten them too it, so they had to make a big announcement yesterday to avoid being second place.

I would wager Rapido are further along with their project than Hornby are. 

if both projects go ahead, it will be interesting to see who wins the duel in the shops, with the raft of recent pre-order cancelations and customer let downs, and with the prospect of other vehicles from the film (14xx, Wisbech coach ( that would go well with the Rapido J70) steam roller and bus) Rapido may well have the edge on this. 

it will be interesting to watch it develop.   

meanwhile, i’ll be at Beals farm with the water!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MyRule1 said:

Why would any company need licencing rights over a 70 year old film containing vehicles already in the public domain? 

Because, as I’ve said on the Hornby thread, everyone gets confused about copyright.

tv is 50 years after broadcast. Film is 70 years after the death of the last of a small list of principle people involved, headed by the director. Given TTT’s director died in 1999, without checking if any of the others died later, TTT isn’t public domain until at least 2069....

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I'm not remotely familiar with the film, I've never seen it, but I love that you have the exclusive rights.

I wish you every success with this project, big up the smaller companies!

Good Heavens! The next thing we know we shall be nationalised. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

I have nothing but confidence in Rapido's quality, fidelity and performance, so I certainly would be very interested a Todd, Kitson & Laird 0-4-2 made by them, regardless of what else may appear in the market.

If only they'd do a Hackworth twin-tender mineral 0-6-0, life would be complete!!

A Wisbech & Upwell bogie tram coach, or, even, a 14XX with an ashpan would be good things to see.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I'm going to have to watch the film just to see what the hype is all about and to get all the references that are currently going over my head! 

It really is a good film, well worth your time seeing it.

• Agree 10

7 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I'm going to have to watch the film just to see what the hype is all about and to get all the references that are currently going over my head! 

I can't believe that anyone with even the remotest interest in railways has never seen it!

Even the first seconds of it should be compulsory repeat viewing considering you seem to be a SR enthusiast.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I can't believe that anyone with even the remotest interest in railways has never seen it!

Even the first seconds of it should be compulsory repeat viewing considering you seem to be a SR enthusiast.

I must admit I wasn't even aware the film existed untill last year... (Please don't lynch me)

The Railway Children has always been my go to Railway film, heart warming to the core! (Excellent live on stage at Waterloo too) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Incidentally , It's the 85th anniversary of another well-known Railway film in January 2023. What chance of announcing Gladstone (lovely lines, eh?) & some 'collapsible' rolling stock as well please ?  :D

Edited by Dave47549
Syntax
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

We've 22 days of this to go ...are they or aren't they?.......

Classic Catch 22 - only a madman would announce a Lion a couple of days after Hornby, but you'd have to be mad to want to do a Lion in the first place.

Looking forward to Dapol announcing Lion tomorrow, Heljan theirs on Thursday and Bachman announcing on Friday that they are not progressing with theirs...

Luke

• Funny 17