Left for Titfield!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I wonder, are we railway enthusiasts the only segment of society that considers the genteel decrepitude of (largely) disused infrastructure to be idyllic.....:unsure:

John

In a word - No.  In the hamlet where friends of ours lived in Herefordshire there was a small cottage that could be politely described as 'a ruin with a very decrepit roof' and somebody had cherished it to such an extent that they had gone to the trouble of having it Grade 1 listed.  

Similarly we ran into considerable trouble when we wished to build a new coal loading terminal on a piece of far from idyllic land in Bristol which BR owned and had become very decrepit since the marshalling yard which had once occupied it had long been removed.  The problem - a 'rare' orchid was growing there among the muck and ash yard surface and 'someone'' demanded that it be 'protected'.  In the end the simple solution of digging it out complete with its surroundings by using a very large digger bucket enabled it and its immediate surroundings to be moved elsewhere, untouched.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

on a piece of far from idyllic land in Bristol which BR owned and had become very decrepit since the marshalling yard which had once occupied it had long been removed.  The problem - a 'rare' orchid was growing there among the muck and ash yard

It makes me smile everytime I see the site of special scientific interest sign on our bay platform where they put mats down, to absorb any diesel and oil spills, on top of years of accumulated diesel, oil etc ;) 

Shifting gears again, I wonder if anyone might think of kit or rtp buildings for the anniversary? The ‘shed’ and station would be useful models generally too. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Yes, and with spotless workplaces, brand new tools and oodles of space & time

middle class suburbia, no one could afford to pay the commercial rates to maintain places like that.. indeed few wont begrudge a few coppers to someone knocking up a repair job from someones garage.

I was often told the mark of a good tradesman, is one who is chaotic, disorganised and has his own example as the worst example, as it means he’s busy, customer focussed and doesn't have time to do his own.

only reason they have such luxury workplaces is the TV studio and funding.

Works in a lot of fields. I spent 10 years in the ultimate ephemeral world of brand consultancy - while adding precisely nothing to the sum of humanity (one of the reasons I got out) it was nevertheless a great education in business and hopefully of benefit now I am doing something more socially useful. 

anyway, in adland/the brand world it’s a truism that brand agencies have the worst brands... the good ones are too busy sorting out their clients’ to worry about their own.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Helmdon said:

I spent 10 years in the ultimate ephemeral world of brand consultancy - while adding precisely nothing to the sum of humanity (one of the reasons I got out)

Were you called before the Old Lady Job Justification Hearings?

Nearest I could find ...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh we could play this game all day, well, up to the announcement.  Birds?  Wings (wingplates?)? 

I suspect we would get nowhere near the truth, however.  

Given that recent activity has included a post-war 'bus, a '30s-'50s industrial, late Grouping GPV, it would be nice to see Rapido choose something further back in time, if only via a 1950s film.

Franky, I doubt there is anything Rapido could announce that, for me, would be more welcome than revisiting the Stirling Single to represent historically accurate conditions, e.g. one for either the 1888 or 1895 'Race to the North' and one in late condition in the 1900s. 

Next best thing? Use the Thunderbolt to explore 'the earlies', with Planets and Jenny Linds.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Given that recent activity has included a post-war 'bus, a '30s-'50s industrial, late Grouping GPV, it would be nice to see Rapido choose something further back in time, if only via a 1950s film.

I think Rapido did mention something about the Titfield Thunderbolt recently...

https://peco-uk.com/blogs/industry-news/left-for-titfeild-rapido-trains-announce-exclusive-titfield-thunderbolt-collection-in-oo

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Funny 1

You've got to hand it to Rapido, they don't do things by half, this is a long game they are playing.

Makes me wonder, they spend 5 minutes agreeing a model, then the rest of the meeting deciding on the marketing, the video, who's turn it is to be on the bus, will there be Daleks or Stormtroopers.

• Funny 6

8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

'Things you might not have believed if announced on 1 April'

No. 23 in an occasional series .... 

Picture1.png.17681b2c18f069baf930efc75dc8aec8.png

:scratchhead:

But Bachmann are also a plastic kit manufacturer and have been for decades. Trains are just a part of what they make.

They have a lot of stuff like that in their range just like Hornby have Airfix. They also have the EFE range of diecast models.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/construction-kits

They also make four foot long aircraft carriers.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/447/uss-enterprise-cv-6/pktm03712

On 21/03/2021 at 10:51, The Stationmaster said:

In a word - No.  In the hamlet where friends of ours lived in Herefordshire there was a small cottage that could be politely described as 'a ruin with a very decrepit roof' and somebody had cherished it to such an extent that they had gone to the trouble of having it Grade 1 listed.  

Similarly we ran into considerable trouble when we wished to build a new coal loading terminal on a piece of far from idyllic land in Bristol which BR owned and had become very decrepit since the marshalling yard which had once occupied it had long been removed.  The problem - a 'rare' orchid was growing there among the muck and ash yard surface and 'someone'' demanded that it be 'protected'.  In the end the simple solution of digging it out complete with its surroundings by using a very large digger bucket enabled it and its immediate surroundings to be moved elsewhere, untouched.

You can't usually 'have' a building listed on request - certainly not in Grade 1. You can apply for it to be listed (if you're sure that you're never going to want to make alterations unless you successfully apply for permission). Grade 1 listing only applies to buildings at least 500 years old at the time of listing. Any listing at less than Grade 1 would be dependent upon there being some architectural or aesthetic reason for doing so. Grade 1 listing is automatic in respect of age. Back in the 1980s I was involved in applications for listing of a number of structures. Only two were successful, both at Grade 2, and the local authority subsequently gave Listed Building Consent to the ruination of both. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

You're backing the wrong team, Mr Kohler. That's not your engine, cost them a packet if she's beaten!

I wasn't me - I didn't do it!

So long as we understand each other, that's all.

Stop!

Right, come on, as fast as you can...

Well done Sam. All right, everybody, back on board.

Oh a foul, a foul, a palpable foul.

Duel Dunkerton.jpg

• Like 8