Left for Titfield!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

Will the Thunderbolt have a bent tender chassis, like the real one had after filming? The second take of the train catching up with the loco was a little more forceful than the rehearsal and did lasting damage.

The other 'must see' film:

• Like 7

This is either Jason's biggest, most elaborate practical joke yet, or the most left field announcement in ages.  Or both.

Anyway, if the announcement is correct, and they intend to do a complete range of Titfield stuff, will that include the mainline GWR kettlery towards the end of the film?  I haven't watched it in a while but I could swear there was something of GWR origin (Hall? Manor? Grange? Bungalow?) dragging some typically GWR quaint looking coaches (they looked vaguely "Toplight" to me but as the GWR brings me out in hives I couldn't swear to that) which roars past as Thunderbolt is rounding a curve, followed by a brief starring role by 4056 "Princess Margaret" of the 1914 batch of "Star" class locos.  Given the regular frothfests the GWR fans have for "Star" locos, and Toplights, perhaps Rapido might be tempted to do these as well.

We shall see.  However, it looks like the third UK bus will be a Bedford OB if true.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

This sounds like it could be a good project, I wonder if we will see the full set of:

Lion

14xx / 48xx as there is reference to carrying liveries outside of the film. *of course there is a scene with the 48xx running through the streets with lorry tyres underneath. Hopefully Rapido won’t want to add that as well :-)

Wisbech carriage

Dans carriage - on trailer

Toad brake van

Bedford OB bus

Aveling & Porter steam roller

That's quite a list of potential items..... and we only have to wait for three weeks to find out which elements they are going to include.

Meanwhile, other than Lion, I’ve seen no details from Hornby about what they are doing and indeed how far they have progressed.

A duel indeed! Capital!

Sam Weeks (Local vicar)

“We want the Titfiekd Thunderbolt”

George Blakeworth (town clerk)

“Out of the museum?”

Sam Weeks

”Yes, Yes, she'll run, I’ll stake my living on it!”

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

We are all making an assumption that RT will make Thunderbolt, they might not but may concentrate on the other models. This could be Jasons greatest joke.

(Let's be clear I'm just postulating a possibility that I personally don't expect to happen).

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Dave47549 said:

Incidentally , It's the 85th anniversary of another well-known Railway film in January 2023. What chance of announcing Gladstone (lovely lines, eh?) & some 'collapsible' rolling stock as well please ?  :D

That's the problem in this game, you just never know who's up to what.

Somewhere on RMWeb, you'll find this ......

5b0c01fd-b5c5-485c-b9c3-4be2af02abd9.PNG.b481778236924922e45f2abf2d891101.png.897a7dda01cc2cffb1a7b587435bd20d.png

(nowt to do with me)

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

42 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

5b0c01fd-b5c5-485c-b9c3-4be2af02abd9.PNG.b481778236924922e45f2abf2d891101.png.897a7dda01cc2cffb1a7b587435bd20d.png

(nowt to do with me)

I cannot find that model, any clues as to where on RMweb it may be hiding?

12 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

Looking at it i would think Hornby approached whoever holds the rights to the film for permission for a Thunderbolt model only to find that ‘someone else’ i.e, Rapido, had already beaten them too it, so they had to make a big announcement yesterday to avoid being second place.

This might be a stupid question but how does a company acquire the rights to a film to produce related items? Is it done through a tendering process i.e. manufactures bid for the rights by saying what they will offer to the customer? (I work in renewable energy development and this is how our work is won) 

With Hornby announcing Lion and then RT announcing Titfield product within 24 hrs says to me Hornby were going to produce Lion anyway but thought they could also tag it onto a TT product line, but upon finding out they had lost the contract announced it early as another manufacturer (RT) had won the contract for Titfield products

Edited by SteamingWales
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Dan Griffin said:

I cannot find that model, any clues as to where on RMweb it may be hiding?

It's by one of our several very talented parish designers.

It's a project for private use (so far as they've said ;)). 

It is there for all to see, you just need to find the Best Part of RMWeb!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

(nowt to do with me)

Where? is it 7mm?

46 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

This might be a stupid question but how does a company acquire the rights to a film to produce related items? Is it done through a tendering process i.e. manufactures bid for the rights by saying what they will offer to the customer? (I work in renewable energy development and this is how our work is won) 

With Hornby announcing Lion and then RT announcing Titfield product within 24 hrs says to me Hornby were going to produce Lion anyway but thought they could also tag it onto a TT product line, but upon finding out they had lost the contract announced it early as another manufacturer (RT) had won the contract for Titfield products

I can't speak of films, but there was a BBC business unit documentary about Airfix obtaining the rights for "Doctor Who" kits.  I don't recall that there was a competitive tender as such, it was more that Airfix approached BBC Enterprises with a business idea.  Obviously, "DW" is a worldwide franchise and things like action figures were already licenced to a toy company, so there was a degree of negotiation to avoid clashes of products, in the event sales were poor and Airfix abandoned the range and sold off the kits cheaply in ModelZone.

The "rights" are also by country, so different companies have the rights in different countries, though that is perhaps not the case with "The Titfield Thunderbolt", but one never knows!

Bachmann UK announced earlier this week they were selling kits of the Gerry Anderson "Thunderbirds" craft, these are apparently re-boxed Japanese kits (by Aoshima), the latter having the licence to sell them outside the UK. 

Anyone who build's "Star Wars" model kits will know that different manufacturers have the licence around the globe, often with different kits of the same prototype (models of models?).  The rise of internet selling and especially eBay means that these kits are available in the UK, often at a premium price.

The "Thomas the Tank" franchise seems to have different licence holders in different scales and countries.

Getting back to locomotives, I assume that "The Titfield Thunderbolt" has copyrights held by whoever has the rights to Ealing comedies, whereas "Lion" has no copyright due to it's age?

jch

17 minutes ago, John Harris said:

I can't speak of films, but there was a BBC business unit documentary about Airfix obtaining the rights for "Doctor Who" kits.  I don't recall that there was a competitive tender as such, it was more that Airfix approached BBC Enterprises with a business idea.  Obviously, "DW" is a worldwide franchise and things like action figures were already licenced to a toy company, so there was a degree of negotiation to avoid clashes of products, in the event sales were poor and Airfix abandoned the range and sold off the kits cheaply in ModelZone.

The "rights" are also by country, so different companies have the rights in different countries, though that is perhaps not the case with "The Titfield Thunderbolt", but one never knows!

Bachmann UK announced earlier this week they were selling kits of the Gerry Anderson "Thunderbirds" craft, these are apparently re-boxed Japanese kits (by Aoshima), the latter having the licence to sell them outside the UK. 

Anyone who build's "Star Wars" model kits will know that different manufacturers have the licence around the globe, often with different kits of the same prototype (models of models?).  The rise of internet selling and especially eBay means that these kits are available in the UK, often at a premium price.

The "Thomas the Tank" franchise seems to have different licence holders in different scales and countries.

Getting back to locomotives, I assume that "The Titfield Thunderbolt" has copyrights held by whoever has the rights to Ealing comedies, whereas "Lion" has no copyright due to it's age?

jch

That makes sense now.

I guess building wind farms is a bit different to producing model trains!

• Like 1

(nowt to do with me)

What about the other Gladstone as in Oh Mr Porter ? That was a Kent and East Sussex tank.

I believe that Roxey mouldings do or did a kit for it. I think I recently saw somewhere that the chassis was no longer available for it though ?

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John Harris said:

jch

Lion is part of Liverpool Museums which is part of the National Museums Group*. The same group as the NRM and Science Museum.

If you make a model of something in the NRM you have to license it and the boxes have to have the branding. I would expect this to be the same.

As I pointed out in the other thread Oxford Diecast had to have permission for the preserved Ford Anglia. Got one somewhere and it's definitely got something like "made under license" on the box.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/ford-anglia-car-lime-green-105e-saloon-liverpool-museum-sp046?_pos=17&_sid=e405a63fb&_ss=r

*Whatever they are called now

Jason

• Like 1

(nowt to do with me)

Ah, that'd be mine - see the last two or three pages of my layout thread in the pre-grouping section here. It's still in CAD form but being designed for 3D printing, as a personal project, in 4mm scale (00 gauge).

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

(nowt to do with me)

That doesn't look anything like SRNI No.1!

That's not the Gladstone (Was he the man who made the bags?) that was being referred to. I think, Sir, that you would be best off looking in the direction of KESR No.2 Northiam if you want to know about this Gladstone. I'm hoping to do a rendition of it for my 7mm Southern Railway (Northern Ireland) Micro layout.

Of course, I'd be overjoyed if our honourable friend ( @Skinnylinny) were to produce a kit for those lovely Hawthorne Leslie 2-4-0ts!

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

This is either Jason's biggest, most elaborate practical joke yet, or the most left field announcement in ages.  Or both.

Well if I am wrong and it’s genuine, I will definitely buy the set just to pay penance for not being a believer :D

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

If you make a model of something in the NRM you have to license it and the boxes have to have the branding. I would expect this to be the same.

Hornby's many re-runs of Mallard and Flying Scotsman, not to mention their streamlined Duchess of Hamilton and - a few years ago now - Bachmann's 13000 and 49395 would beg to differ?

• Agree 5