Left for Titfield!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

15 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Powering the rear wheels through a reduction gear and driving the "real" driving wheels with coupling rods are not mutually exclusive

Apologies, what I meant was that I was hoping not to see yet another 14XX, on which the chassis is effectively a motor bogie, with side rods that just flail around aimlessly and don't do any actual work.

11 hours ago, mdvle said:

Personally I don't care how any manufacturer decides to power the loco as long as it runs well and reliably - better a good running loco than a bad loco with coupling rods doing their job

But in the age of remote control Mars rovers and the ability to fly drones on another planet, it is surely not too much to ask that RTR manufacturers supply well-running locomotives, driven on one axle, on which the side rods also do the job that they were meant to to?

(which Rapido have certainly done with the 16XX, of course, it's just the complexity of the 'whole loco build' that I have expressed reservations about. They generally run very well, have decent motors and the side rods do the job that Churchward, Collett and Hawksworth intended!)

My only personal experience of steam locos with a chassis designed like a motor bogie is the DJM 14XX, but in model railway terms, that was a sufficiently disagreeable experience to put me off the genre for good.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Invicta said:

...but Bachmann's 49395 (and presumably the Crab?) was certainly described as a 'National Collection' model and had a small 'NRM Heritage Range' logo on the box end...

You're quite right - I just had a look at the box for my own 49395 and the small emblem is indeed on the box end.

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Invicta said:

I don't know about the Hornby releases as I've never owned them, but Bachmann's 49395 (and presumably the Crab?) was certainly described as a 'National Collection' model and had a small 'NRM Heritage Range' logo on the box end- I'm trying to recall the timescale of the release, did it pre-date the NRM prototype Deltic and subsequent NRM exclusives?

On the subject of licensing from the National Collection I'll try and clarify some points.

There are certain items within the collection where identifiable elements are subject to a requirement to have the licence to produce an item such as anything with the 'Flying Scotsman' or 'Mallard' identities and nameplates and a few other items.

There are items within the collection that Locomotion or the NRM as parts of the Science Museum Group (SMG) have entered into commercial agreements with manufacturers to produce, this started with the prototype Deltic and continues with exclusive editions (such as V2 'Green Arrow') or exclusive models solely or in partnership with Rails for example (such as the D Class).

Any items which utilise any branding from within the SMG would require licensing.

Anyway, this is all a side matter as 'Lion' is owned by Liverpool Museums who have no relationship with the SMG.

Any licensing of 'The Titfield Thunderbolt' IP or trademarks would be related to the production companies or the distributors, Rank in the UK or Universal in the US and is therefore nothing to do with Liverpool Museum or the SMG either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Getting back to models rather than irrelevant pedantry.

Range of models could be anything. Vehicles from the film and ignoring brief glimpses of Bulleids and GWR 4-6-0s.

14XX - Yes please. Autotrailer to follow at some point.

Wisbech Coach - Likely and will go with the J70

Toad - Plenty of diagrams unmade and will go with the 0-6-0PTs and GPVs.

Last three at least had historic liveries worn outside the film. 14XX, coach and toad is the classic train and could form part of a proper range.

Other option, this is an elaborate hoax that we've all fallen into and it's just the bus.

Jason

Don't forget the cattle wagon with the squire's trailer as a load. Or go all out and make the bull nose Morris as well.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

On the subject of licensing from the National Collection I'll try and clarify some points.

Thank you Andy, you’ve  summarised the “irrelevant pedantry” issues far better than I did.

RT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Any licensing of 'The Titfield Thunderbolt' IP or trademarks would be related to the production companies or the distributors, Rank in the UK or Universal in the US and is therefore nothing to do with Liverpool Museum or the SMG either.

I was looking for some stills, a couple of years back and found myself on a long complex journey.

I first looked to Rank, who no longer had any connection with the movie industry - they sold the entire catalogue to Carlton in 1995, who are now part of Granada. Distribution of the Titfield Thunderbolt is now with StudioCanal UK . I found some images I wanted being held by Hulton Picture Library now part of Getty images.

Was it worth the hunt?????

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 3

6 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I was looking for some stills, a couple of years back and found myself on a long complex journey.

I first looked to Rank, who no longer had any connection with the movie industry - they sold the entire catalogue to Carlton in 1995, who are now part of Granada. Distribution of the Titfield Thunderbolt is now with StudioCanal UK . I found some images I wanted being held by Hulton Picture Library now part of Getty images.

Was it worth the hunt?????

Mike Wiltshire

You'll find that the BFI (British Film Institute) has a number of B&W images taken during filming. Ivo Peters also photographed Lion with a camera platform mounted on the side, a well-known image showing how they did moving backgrounds before greens came along. Simon Carstens is, of course, a leading authority on everything 'Titfield'. I once had the privilege of interviewing, for Steam World, the driver (I forget his name now - Ted Burbidge?) who drove Lion from Westbury shed every day during filming. (CJL)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 09/03/2021 at 22:44, luke_stevens said:

Looking forward to Dapol announcing Lion tomorrow, Heljan theirs on Thursday and Bachman announcing on Friday that they are not progressing with theirs...

Luke

Dont forget KR Models, were they mooching around Liverpool a few weeks ago? And where is Lion?

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Roy L S said:

Where does it say the models will be 4mm? :biggrin_mini2:

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

A lot of people don't seem to realise that other scales exist :dirol_mini:

Any suggestion that the announcement solely concerns 2mm/7mm/whatever, rather ignore Hornby's spectacular trouser moment ;)

Edited by Dave47549
Syntax

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, dibber25 said:

You'll find that the BFI (British Film Institute) has a number of B&W images taken during filming. Ivo Peters also photographed Lion with a camera platform mounted on the side, a well-known image showing how they did moving backgrounds before greens came along. Simon Carstens is, of course, a leading authority on everything 'Titfield'. I once had the privilege of interviewing, for Steam World, the driver (I forget his name now - Ted Burbidge?) who drove Lion from Westbury shed every day during filming. (CJL)

Ted Burrage (not sure about the spelling)  was the Driver and 'moocher' Green was the Fireman - he was one of my Drivers in the 1970s.  The latter is recognisable working on the footplate dressed in the bishop's  outfit in one scene in the film but I don't know who was actually driving in that shot.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Hi Chris

I hesitate to correct a luminary such as yourself(!) but based upon my copy of your article I am pretty certain it was Bert Harris (driver to fireman Bob Stride at the time of the film) that you interviewed. In fact you did both myself and posterity a huge favour, in that I had given you his contact details when you visited me at Limpley Stoke station all those years ago. I fully intended to speak to him myself, but whereas I never got around to it, you did, resulting in your very fine article.

This picture, which came to me  from Harold Alford's grandson, shows Bert Harris and Bob Stride either side of George Relph and Hugh Griffith.

All of which we might be able to recreate more easily in 4mm scale in the future....

Very Best Wishes to you

Simon Castens

1-24.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, John Harris said:

I presume you could have a 14XX using a Faller lorry chassis to reproduce the scene where they drive it through the town?

jch

As long as it’s got the Morris Commercial wheelbase you can’t get much closer to it as a model ;) 

I think it's pretty clear that we are going to see a Thunderbolt, and a strong likelihood of other good things.  Well done Rapido. It will surely be a quality job and worth the wait.

Rather embarrassingly, I've just posted that comment in the Hornby Lion topic.  Well, that's what happens when manufacturers duplicate; confusion all round. 

But, rather than delete, I decided I didn't care. I'd take a Hornby Lion, but, given a choice, I'd rather have what I would expect would be a superior model from Rapido. Further, recent history suggests that Hornby are not always as far ahead as they imply when they announce things in the face of rival products, and tend to rush their fences to beat the opposition - cough, Terrier, cough - so, personally, I hope Rapido beats them to the pass with a superior product. I suspect Rapido's will be the more expensive, but, then, Rapido is L'Oréal for modellers; because we're worth it.

Roll on 1st April.    

• Like 5
  • Agree 1