Left for Titfield!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

And very little of the last few pages have discussed which of the possible

options Rapido are going for, will it be Lion, a 14xx, or something else?

It all does impinge, though. Models of "Lion" as "Titfield Thunderbolt" in the 1950s and "Lion" as "Lion" as built would differ significantly. To consider the probable outcomes in model form, I'd suggest that the former is only likely to come from Rapido, and the latter from both but, given their existing L&M models, with Hornby as favourites to produce an "era-match". 

The Rapido announcement states they are developing a range of models based around the film, so the implication to me is "all of the above" with Lion (as Titfield Thunderbolt) and the 14xx (in early BR condition) being just the starting points.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Addition
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

It all does impinge, though. Models of "Lion" as "Titfield Thunderbolt" in the 1950s and "Lion" as "Lion" in the 1860s would differ significantly....

The Rapido announcement states they are developing a range of models based around the film, so the implication to me is "all of the above" with Lion and the 14xx being just the starting points.

John

And if the last few pages had discussed the merits of which version of Lion, and why,

that would have been reasonable, and understandable, but it's so off topic now.

There should have been a new thread started, to run in conjunction with the thread

about geographical designations.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Complaining about thread drift?

Are you joking?

Is it April 1st already?

This is RMweb for heavens sake, all varieties of lunacy are welcome here surely?

Simon?

Sorry, thought it was a good morning for question marks?

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I'll respectfully suggest to await events. After all, Rapido haven't said what scale......

N for Noooooooooo!

O for Oh.

G for Groan

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

What and take the fun out?!?

Not now it doesn’t . .

1983AFC1-B9A3-47E6-8D7B-3B82DE90DB96.jpeg.c4599d7b6fb219aebd7c576b868d1e07.jpeg

with apologies to Peco ;) 

Do you do requests for photoshopping? I could do with a Fallen Madonna with the big...

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

I'll respectfully suggest to await events. After all, Rapido haven't said what scale......

There's (now?) a corner flash on the Titfield Thunderbolt graphic on their website that clearly states OO.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Originally it is a German system (a way of dealing with WW2) .

NEM 806 D specified subscripts, for example (Germany)

1a 1835-1875
1b 1875-1995
1c 1895-1910
1d 1910-1920

So Rocket is 1a, End of GWR Broad gauge is 1b, WD narrow gauge in WW1 is 1c, and Arthurs and Castles are 1d.

But Bachmann decider to do "their own" version which hasn't helped at all!

http://www.ccbrailroad.com.ar/manuales/nem/normas nem.pdf

Sorry but WD n.g. in the Great War would be era 1d and Arthurs and Castles would presumably fall into Era 2 and  various later Eras for both but particularly the 'Castles which were built over along period and changed in detail over that time.  Similarly the Arthurs changed in some details and in livery.  So for the 'Castles' you need at least 4 different eras for the period prior to nationalisation and another 3 or 4 for the period after nationalisation once you take into account differences in lubricators, chimneys, and superheaters.

Now Hornby have the necessary tooling to produce a pretty wide range of accurate 'Castle' details but do they have enough 'eras' on the books to reflect what they can do?  I can't answer that because I take no notice of the era system - I go by what a model starts out as representing which would be suitable for the period (not era) which I like to model without too much subsequent work on modification to get things right such as moving lubricators around.

3 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

And very little of the last few pages have discussed which of the possible

options Rapido are going for, will it be Lion, a 14xx, or something else?

We live in a lengthening thread for this one but various items have already, and all over the place, been mentioned.  'Thunderbolt has, inevitably. been mentioned.  A really good modern standard 14XX is an obvious target, if not necessarily from Day 1, and has already been discussed.  A Bedford OB has been mentioned by several of us and is a good fit with Jason's liking for 'buses modelled to an exceptionally high standard.  The W&U coach has been mentioned as well as a possible GWR AA20 (it is thought) brakevan and a GWR Machinery wagon.  So virtually all of the railway rolling stock has already had a mention and in most cases a bit of discussion.  The steamroller driven by Sid James has, I think, had only one mention and Crump's lorry (an S model Bedford I think from memory) hasn't been mentioned although the wooden 14XX on a lorry chassis has had a mention but the pursuing policeman's bicycle and other police vehicles haven't yet been mentioned.

But there has been no talk at all about possible buildings but models of various people have..

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Do you do requests for photoshopping? I could do with a Fallen Madonna with the big...

Now he asks.  Sorry but I sold mine quite a few years back as the picture was the wrong size to hang in the downstairs 'facility' due to the presence of all the other slightly risqué pictures which also have a home on the wall in there.   Fortunately as I had the necessary provenance to back up the painting I managed to sell it (even after costs were deducted) for a few quid more than I'd paid for it.  

That in itself involved something of a laugh as before the auction  I borrowed it back from the auctioneer to take it to a valuation/filming day for 'Flog It' where I think I got the 4th division 'expert' who carefully pronounced that if it went after lunch and the buyers had had a few pints before bidding it might make £25.  He was a sort of wide boy idiot who fancied himself as Lovejoy and he never appeared in the tv programme filming, not that I was surprised by that.  He underestimated the sale price by a factor of somewhat more than 10.

Yes, it was a genuine original copy - when the series was originally running  the sales arm of the BBC commissioned a small number of copies for sale and I came across one at auction a good few years later and got it for a reasonable price - but before we had finished building the house where it would have found a home as described above.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

Looking forward to the Great St Trinian's Train Robbery set next. Lots of different trains required.

Might have to avoid using Leon Thau these days if they're doing characters....  (played the 'Pakistani' porter)

• Agree 1

On 13/03/2021 at 11:11, Edwardian said:

Or perhaps this new found interest in early railways will lead manufacturers to abandon the entirely pointless and unhelpful concept of 'Era 1', which encompasses railways from the Year Dot to both the Stirling Single and Hardwicke (as originally built).

Oh, but wait, you can't really have an Era 0 or Era -1 for early railways.  Fortunately, a simple solution occurs; just abandon the whole moronic Era system? 

Sorry, but every time someone uses the phrase 'Era 1', I think 'duh!'

Nice post otherwise :D

Apologies for any offence caused.

I will of course never ever post again and give up any thought of modelling railways as I am clearly an idiot, but didn't realise.

Is there any railway related forums that don't bite the heads off newbie posters?  Askin' for a friend.

jch

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

don't worry John. I don't  personally hold to this 'era' business, and it can confuse people as well. To a large extent, you can easily dispense with it, and revert to the time period you might have used at school. 

For some of us, being or having an era is an aid to some who (regretfully ) can't understand what Victorian or Edwardian periods were, and have trouble understanding that a large percentage of modellers actually work in the last century.  Bachmann use eras as a tool to aid sales for those people. 

Era 0 is viable, as long as someone makes a Penydarren locomotive. Everything else is pretty much Victorian.....

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Era 0 is viable, as long as someone makes a Penydarren locomotive. Everything else is pretty much Victorian.....

Cheers,

Ian.

Vicky came to the throne in 1837.  In a sentence you have consigned Stockton and Darlington, Liverpool and Manchester and a myriad of colliery line to have not existed pre-Victoria.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Vicky came to the throne in 1837.  In a sentence you have consigned Stockton and Darlington, Liverpool and Manchester and a myriad of colliery line to have not existed pre-Victoria.

And this in Malta - affectionately known by ex-pats as Clapham Junction.

IMG__ (786).JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

32 minutes ago, John Harris said:

Apologies for any offence caused.

I will of course never ever post again and give up any thought of modelling railways as I am clearly an idiot, but didn't realise.

Is there any railway related forums that don't bite the heads off newbie posters?  Askin' for a friend.

jch

No offence intended; I liked your post.

I just got to saturation point with all the Era I mentions and was wrong to single out a given post.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

No offence intended; I liked your post.

I just got to saturation point with all the Era I mentions and was wrong to single out a given post.

Blimey Ed, I don't know what you're worrying about, at least no-one's calling it "modern image" (yet) :diablo_mini:

• Funny 6