Painting believable tail lamps

Hello all, 

I have used Springside tail lamps on my models for a number of years. This remains my favoured approach but I have a set of Lanarkshire model supplies white metal lamps, both tail and side lights. I bought these as I felt they were a little finer, but there is now the necessity to paint them. The bodies are straightforward of course but I wondered if anyone has a tried and tested method which makes for a prototypical look i. e. Not a blob of signal red! 

I model pre tops so am thinking about the BR Traditional lamps. This also means I don't intend to add LEDs. 

I have thoughts of leaving the white metal exposed for the forward facing lenses of the side lights and a deep Ruby red paint for the rear facing with perhaps a dot of gloss varnish. But, I would like to hear further/better ideas

Many thanks in advance. 

Always go for a very dark red; if a tail lamp isn't lit, the red lens can almost look black in daylight. If you want to get really technical, then mix a much lighter red and paint an arc over the upper part of the lens, as the upper part will reflect the sky, and the lower part the ground. Once you've done that, then varnish, as on small models varnish will give a glint, but it won't do environmental reflections, which is why they need painting.

For the front/clear lens, do the same as with the red, except use a very dark grey with with a light grey arc, then varnish.

Don't forget to paint any apertures (for checking the flame) black; lots of people forget to paint these and just do them white. BR Tail lamps have them either side.

Once you're done painting, apply a dark brown wash or some dark brown weathering powders to knock the white back a little bit.

If you're modelling O or larger and you have a really, really steady hand, you can paint a hint of the rings of the fresnel lens (assuming the lamp type has one.)

All the best,

Jack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

For 7mm scale lamps I drill a shallow hole in the lens then paint it dark red. Once dry I then add a blob of Krystal Klear on top to form a lens. Finally gloss varnish over the top. For 4mm you could possibly miss out the Krystal Klear.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1