traction tyre problems

AndrewP

i'm looking for traction tyres for my sons Pendolino and there doesn't seem to be any of the recommended x5856 for sale - they seem out of stock. The x6030 seems to have same spec ie;10mm internal diameter, 2mm wide, 1mm thick - do you know if they work ok? or do you have other suggestion?

I've heard about bullfrog snot and sounds like it might be the only alternative

thanks

Andy

Not exactly what you wanted but I would think that the London Underground S class stock would have small diameter wheels so these may possibly be an alternative given nil stock on the correct tyres.  These are at Rails of Sheffield.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/30863/Bachmann-36-070-oo-gauge-london-transport-s-stock-traction-tyres

• Like 1

18 hours ago, great central said:

I recall someone saying somewhere that they cut thin slices of heat shrink tubing to use in place of traction tyres. 

Nearly all my traction tyre fleet uses this method, Aldi & Lidi sell different sizes in those handy  plastic case things.

Trick is to practice, I often do the tyres in situ, slice about the size, put on, apply some heat, solder iron, lighter whatever, it doesn't need to be strong heat. Just like real thing, they last longer, cheaper more ready available. Sometimes you have to double up on deep grooves.

Been doing about 10 years now haven't yet found one come off, you lose a little traction but I reckon you get better running, less stalls etc.

Handy things in wiring, rare to solder 2 low volt wires together, I just twist wire and use the heat shrink to keep the wires together 

Running without traction tyres tilts the bogie as the rail runs in the groove and causes derailments.  Usually the traction tyre fits the insulated driven wheel so there is no suitable replacement non grooved wheel except the "Fine Scale" type which derail on set track points and anything else not billiard table smooth.

The heat shrink idea sounds brilliant.  

I have fitted any old traction tyre to locos in the past as a temporary measure, My spares box has traction tyres loose in the bottom, no clue as to what they originally fitted so as long as I can force them on the wheel and they aren't too loose and fit down in the groove I use them. It works for my Lima locos used outside but inside I have banned traction tyres because they make the track so dirty.