Geoff Williams Aylesbury LNWR Researching and Modelling the Prototype

Not Jeremy

1 hour ago, Martync said:

Shame there are no volumes of David Jenkinson's layouts to go with these.....more classics of the 60s, 70s and beyond..........  What about a compendium of his MRJ articles??

Martyn

You could try his "Historical Railway Modelling - A Personal View" from Pendragon.  The core of the text is his extensive O Gauge layout, but he covers most of his output, from the original Marthwaite in EM via his N Gauge American layout and Garsdale Road, culminating in Gauge 1 in the garden.  He only wrote 12 articles for MRJ, and most cover the same ground as the book, apart from his description of building coaches for Inkerman Street. Most of his constructional articles were in other journals, such as Modellers' BackTrack.

13 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

You could try his "Historical Railway Modelling - A Personal View" from Pendragon.  The core of the text is his extensive O Gauge layout, but he covers most of his output, from the original Marthwaite in EM via his N Gauge American layout and Garsdale Road, culminating in Gauge 1 in the garden.  He only wrote 12 articles for MRJ, and most cover the same ground as the book, apart from his description of building coaches for Inkerman Street. Most of his constructional articles were in other journals, such as Modellers' BackTrack.

.. and there is a book on how he constructed coach models

image.png.bd84e71eabdb2360abbc306042aab51b.png

Jenkinson owned Modeller's Backtrack and Backtrack for some years so much of his knowledge and ideas have been published. 

His earlier layouts were published in Railway Modeller. 

Paul

23 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

.. and there is a book on how he constructed coach models

image.png.bd84e71eabdb2360abbc306042aab51b.png

Jenkinson owned Modeller's Backtrack and Backtrack for some years so much of his knowledge and ideas have been published. 

His earlier layouts were published in Railway Modeller. 

Paul

Yes, I've got most of the old RM's with his articles in.  As I recall he wrote a number of articles in RM on coach construction which I guess went into the Wild Swan book.

Garsdale Road was my favourite.....cramming a main line into such a relatively small space!!

Anyway, we're going off topic here.....still enjoying the Aylesbury book!!

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I got around to ordering a copy on Monday, which arrived today, along with an entertaining selection of postcards! Thanks to @Not Jeremy for such prompt and personal service, as ever. 

On p. 94 there's a c. 1910 photo across the Park Street level crossing that is clearly a case of nature imitating art, being spot on for the famous MRN 1971 photo of the perspective modelling.