Interest In Bord na Móna Locomotive

Andy Ross

• RMweb Gold

As part of my Hunslet project (See link at bottom of page) I have been producing etches for several Hunslet Locomotives during different parts of the build process in the works in 7mm scale. 

Because of what they are intended for they have been drawn almost the same as the originals including all cut outs and internal details, and component parts, such as fuel tanks and air reservoirs, etc. 

One of the these loco types is the later Bord na Móna locos that were built in the 80's. 

I have done changes to the etches so I can build one of these up at 21mm gauge to run up and down the yard but it would still not be complete and pretty much as the photos below. Yes it still needs wheels.

IMG_1059a.jpg

IMG_1068a.jpg

I am considering doing taking some of the drawings I have done and making these into a basic kit but it would be quite involved and there is the issue of mechanisms,  casting etc. to get over. 

Although I have never produced a kit before I have several friend who have so I know I could get some help if needed.

I am not saying I would definitely do this but I would be interested in how much interest there would be if I was to invest the time. Also what gauge would be preferred 

This is just to get a feel and I am not going to hold anybody to this they say they are interested and there is no time scale at this stage. 

Thanks in advance 

Andy R 

Edited by Trams and Locos
Spelling Correction
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks great.  I’ve long wanted one of those for my 0-16.5 layout and would be very interested in having one or two.  While I can build kits, building chassis is beyond me. 

I suggest you mention your potential kit to the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association.  Someone in it might know of a RTR chassis that would fit.

• RMweb Gold

The problem is that the loco is 38mm wheel base and looks like Marks only go up to 35mm. 

Black Beatles look like they went to 38mm but they do not appear to be available at the moment.

• Andy Ross changed the title to Interest In Bord na Móna Locomotive
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

See latest photos below - I have recently cracked some basic 3d drawing and a friend with a printer has done the air filter housing and exhaust silencer and they really add to whats been done so far.  

IMG_1084.jpg.cf6402547bb9899d6d078dd45dffbd99.jpg

IMG_1084a.jpg.4c3b8a88e6b5e4a3dbb921ed1619f859.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1