Just for the fun of it!

Woody C

6 hours ago, Woody C said:

I always wanted these two buildings on the layout which are the Dapol nee Airfix nee Kitmaster shop and petrol station.

The buildings started out as Airfix, it's ony very recently that Dapol have used the Kitmaster name for them. They are quite adaptable.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

The buildings started out as Airfix, it's ony very recently that Dapol have used the Kitmaster name for them. They are quite adaptable.

Hello Bernard, Thank you for the clarification on the Kitmaster heritage. I think I was probably over reminiscing which affected my memory of what. Kitmaster actually made! I do however remember a dry tongue as a child resulting from having to stick the quadruple Green Shield stamps in the stamp books. Now that is showing my age. I also remember as a young child buying the Airfix Station building as my first introduction to the railway range of kits. This was assembled by twisting the parts off the sprue, dabbing large quantities of tube cement on the parts to be joined and then painting the finished product with gloss paint! However at the time I thought it was great as it graced the three pieces of Triang platform I had at the time. Moving on though and being of an age to now appreciate the kits and hopefully make a better job of construction the detail is amazing. As you say they are very adaptable and can give the basis for other projects and all for a very reasonable price. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Woody C said:

I also remember as a young child buying the Airfix Station building as my first introduction to the railway range of kits. This was assembled by twisting the parts off the sprue, dabbing large quantities of tube cement on the parts to be joined and then painting the finished product with gloss paint!

My squadron of Airfix RAF WW2 aircraft were built like that!! ;)

My first railway kit was the Battle of Britain loco - for it's obvious RAF connection. I had improved by the time I built the Airfix 16t mineral, but that spectacularly fell apart one day when I had discovered 'weathering', and I used so much dirty white spirit on it that the glue melted.... :rolleyes:

My parents weren't too happy about the stink in my room, either :blush:  - these days I can't use enamels & thinners as SWMBO is asthmatic.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

My parents weren't too happy about the stink in my room, either :blush:

Brilliant! I do recall exactly the same situation with spilling some white spirit in my bedroom and the reprocussions that bought for me which I think was being banned from model making for several weeks. The Airfix loco kits were great and I was trying at that time to think of ways to motorise them using the plastic wheels as pocket money had no way of stretching to a chassis kit or even metal wheel sets and even if it did my skills would have seen it consigned to the scrap pile. Thinking about it my skills would probably still see it going wrong!  

• Friendly/supportive 2

I've knocked together a C031 Shop & Flat and C032 Garage, with a sheet of Wills SSMP214 Concrete Rendering to make a small engineering shop and shed for some 009 IC industrials (Rustons, Simplexes & the like), still to be finished though. In the photo the parts are just lightly tacked together with tape, so some of the walls lean a bit.

LongBarrowWorks01.jpg.56719774ce5f7153bdca72b6646cf78d.jpg

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

52 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

I've knocked together a C031 Shop & Flat and C032 Garage, with a sheet of Wills SSMP214 Concrete Rendering to make a small engineering shop and shed for some 009 IC industrials (Rustons, Simplexes & the like), still to be finished though. In the photo the parts are just lightly tacked together with tape, so some of the walls lean a bit.

I do like that Bernard! Most innovative. Look forward to seeing the finished building.

Hello and thank you all for your continued interest and encouragement with my efforts. In my post of last Monday I started temporarily putting buildings together to see how the scene would look and to get things like roads and landscape positioned. One of the other kits I have had in mind for this layout is the Wills Corrugated Iron Chapel kit. Originally, I was going to carry out my usual plastic kit butchery session of coercing plastic parts with a selection of over sized tools into a shape which they did not want to take on but eventually resembling a loco shed as many others have done and done far more successfully than I ever could! Note to self - A lump hammer is not part of a model making tool kit. I however decided that to preserve the kit, I would construct as Wills intended. It was just supposed to be an initial masking tape temporary construction so that i was not distracted from getting on with the layout as a whole. However in my trade mark way I easily got distracted - again - and started to glue the kit together and before too long it was that Britney Spears moment - not that I am anything like her - of Ooops!... I did it again!.

I must say it is a nice kit and goes together well. The only bit that I modified was the roof guttering mouldings where I cut back the mounting strip into something with, dare I say it with my ham fisted and lump hammer reliant skills, finesse! The picture below probably illustrates what I did far better than my words.

339173207_NarrowGauge94.jpg.3713a12ab981e7ddbcda6dd6c5d7962b.jpg

The kit is just about finished now. It was primed in my favorite Vallejo black primer before various Vallejo paints were sprayed and brush painted. Still some weathering to do but it has had an initial wash of very dilute black paint to highlight the crevices and low points. 

1943618809_NarrowGauge95.jpg.b5b2a6159cb608adc1f8beb523ddebb6.jpg

426269156_NarrowGauge96.jpg.54b37e098828c55642a8cb911b8c94d0.jpg

568393714_NarrowGauge97.jpg.f24ceb66b09aa4a36ba92e3457d15261.jpg

954702942_NarrowGauge98.jpg.9652e265fb9f72c4dfc2cf801bf40e07.jpg

With the distraction of building this kit over with you might expect more progress on the overall layout. However...another Ooops!.... I did it again! moment with a look at the Craftline Models barge kit I had on the layout. Then the other one appeared from the stash!

1045663448_NarrowGauge99.jpg.2036c98dae67150c685624f69e40f848.jpg

These distractions, to use another Britney Spears hit, are becoming  Toxic, or at least the canal wharf on the layout where these barges will eventually rest  will look toxic if my model water creation skills are anything to go by! Now where is that lump hammer.......

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

I said it would look toxic! Would you swim in that?

2019459039_NarrowGauge100.jpg.4648f5fc758e6199754ca04ae741ba2c.jpg

1397120416_NarrowGauge101.jpg.8fc93de1bc19ee4ce653723926943370.jpg

A small amount of progress with much to do and most of this unglued and just placed half finished to see what it looks like - I think we all do it at some stage. The toxic water is a piece of mounting card cut to shape and then airbrushed with black, brown and green and then literally a full jar of Tamiya gloss airbrushed on. Not sure if I have captured the look of canal water as others may see it but I am pleased. The wharf walls have been also been cut from mounting card and then an embossed brick in English Bond has been added as that appears to be the right sort of bond for a canal structure but I have cleared my inbox for responses indicating otherwise! The coping stones along the top are cut from a sheet of balsa and then using a triangular file the joints are scored. The barges themselves are also still a work in progress but coming on although I doubt any self respecting barge captain would take to the water in either of them!. However at least they have not sunk yet although knowing my modelling skills and my construction methods that is an actual possibility! I will see in the morning if I need to call for International Rescue!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Woody C said:

The barges themselves are also still a work in progress but coming on although I doubt any self respecting barge captain would take to the water in either of them!.

Narrowboats, if you please, Sir ;) Once when walking by a canal I upset one chap very much when I refered to his vessel as a barge. :mosking: 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Narrowboats, if you please, Sir ;) Once when walking by a canal I upset one chap very much when I refered to his vessel as a barge. :mosking: 

In the words of Britney (again) Oooops! I did it again! That is, use the wrong terminology which is something I do on a regular basis! Although to be fair as a landlubber my nautical and waterway knowledge is somewhat limited and unlikely to see me being invited into any self respecting boating  type club or Henley Regatta.

Just out of interest when you had upset the chap was he at the blunt end or the sharp end of his narrowboat???? Why do I get that Ooooops! I did itt again feeling after that last sentence?

• RMweb Premium

Narrow boats less than 7ft width , bigger than that it's a barge..

My Dear Chap....

There are all sorts of sailing clubs, from those where you where White Trousers, Blue Blazers, |Ties and a Cap. Where for most of us it would need a mortgage to be a member for a year.

Down to my self help club, of 400+ members, where you wear what you want, a cuppa tea will cost you 60p because we have no paid staff, except the weekly cleaner, and Family Membership of £150 a year..  (But you are expected to take a turn behind the tea bar).

We enjoy our sailing / motorboating  all year round and  welcome visitors, just don't use our car park for free parking to visit the rest of the village..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woody C said:

Just out of interest when you had upset the chap was he at the blunt end or the sharp end of his narrowboat????

He was at the back I think ;)

The sum total of my knowledge of boats is the timeless advice I heard somewhere once - "pointy end forwards and shiny side up" :jester:

Oh and people who go on canals are sometimes called Ditch Crawlers by those who would look down on them.

• Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

Narrow boats less than 7ft width , bigger than that it's a barge..

My Dear Chap....

There are all sorts of sailing clubs, from those where you where White Trousers, Blue Blazers, |Ties and a Cap. Where for most of us it would need a mortgage to be a member for a year.

Down to my self help club, of 400+ members, where you wear what you want, a cuppa tea will cost you 60p because we have no paid staff, except the weekly cleaner, and Family Membership of £150 a year..  (But you are expected to take a turn behind the tea bar).

We enjoy our sailing / motorboating  all year round and  welcome visitors, just don't use our car park for free parking to visit the rest of the village..

Now that does sound like my type of club and if it's in Norfolk a beautiful County where I spent my early years when my dad was stationed at RAF Watton which probably shows how long ago that was! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2021 at 17:39, Woody C said:

I bought the kits (and many other things) some time ago from an excellent but sadly now closed Aladdin's cave of railway modelling.

Shame that it isn't there any more. You could probably have found a nice lift bridge for the canal and a thatched cottage to go with the Dapol buildings....

On 19/10/2021 at 12:48, ian said:

Shame that it isn't there any more.

In some ways Ian part of it lives on in Lincolnshire! 

On 19/10/2021 at 12:48, ian said:

You could probably have found a nice lift bridge for the canal and a thatched cottage to go with the Dapol buildings....

Strangely, as though by magic, said bridge and thatched cottage have now found their way to Lincolnshire where they will be located on the layout! Thank you and I still miss my annual pilgrimage to the Aladdin's Cave of model railways - the owner was magic!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

It has been some time - a lot of time - since I last updated this thread. In fact Nearly 14 months! So, just to say that I did update this in 2022 (even if it was on the last day!) I thought that I would just let you know I am, at slow motion glacial speeds, making progress! There have been a few other things that have distracted me - some more easily than others like other modelling projects or the 6060 miles of cycling I managed this year. The ones that are perhaps less easy to get distracted by but for the sake of a peaceful life do never the less get done are those on Mrs. Woody's 'To do list'. That list is like the expansion of the universe - it just gets bigger at an exponential rate! 

Right back to the layout. I think last time I posted it was looking something like this.

348847316_NarrowGauge106.jpg.92328dd2604d47bdcdda701a25b7095c.jpg

The far end was the original layout and the white expanse is the extension. It is now looking like this.

1524928517_NarrowGauge296.jpg.c64335740c7e2e3752780c04b0f29d51.jpg

Well at least most of the white has gone! There is not a great deal left to be done and it will get done! Just need to find the time to do it but then again I did build it just for the fun of it!

Leaving Mrs. W's list on one side for a moment, other model related distractions included my 00 gauge Last Great Project layout. As you can see in the above photos the 00 gauge layout was a large 11 by 5 board that in effect filled most of my Man Cave. I did not really want an operating well but having had nearly two years of this set up I guess I proved to myself my initial idea did not work. So that got completely rebuilt into this.

1519873905_Mylastgreatproject50.jpg.7f37ad19d35c98c8f78ff4e966b73d58.jpg

I am glad I did! It may be a glorified train set but it works for me not only as a railway but in the room itself. The 009 layout now resides back to back with my USA switching layout on a trolley so is now much more accessible - unless I keep putting more stuff in that room!

1134769358_Mylastgreatproject45.jpg.6cd176624b775d9606d7e0dbdb3ff910.jpg

Turn it round - and yes my measurements just allow it to turn!

398032736_Mylastgreatproject46.jpg.aad01ad4ee7d978e4fab2a2ceccc76d4.jpg

I also got distracted with a few kits such as these which along with other things are featured in my blog.

1412965529_BorderModelsT34122_56.jpg.7fe674d1d629be0fded8ed9535b22dc2.jpg

1791174551_ItaleriScaniaStreamline143H_87.jpg.9c3fcd3e3310bd869b37cc8a8c471697.jpg

Looking back it has been a reasonably productive year but like most of us I guess, there are many things I wanted to do or complete which just have not happened. The 009 layout is one thing that I did want finished by now but that will now have to migrate onto the 2023 list!

Thank you for your continued interest in this ongoing project and I hope everyone has a great 2023 and we will all be here fit and healthy this time next year to hear my latest excuses as to why this layout is not finished!

Woody.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, ian said:

So when are you starting on the British N layout?

Hello Ian,

Such a thing does already exist! In my true manner of having several pots on the boil but never producing a completed meal this has simmered on the back ring for some years now.488667896_Ukngaugelayout2.jpg.91463c1590db279b158f7c1f11502e5d.jpg

1128677232_Ukngaugelayout1.jpg.b3908e03f6fae81a046c9d37f11b2fa9.jpg

549584364_Ukngaugelayout5.jpg.0dcb20b2bd5e9b4943a52f073c4517e5.jpg

Probably one to bring to the boil on that new improved menu for 2023! You can now safely store your militaria away until this time next year when you can ask 'What did happen to that n gauge layout you were going to finish?' 

Edited by Woody C
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

An impressive selection of projects there @Woody C, and good to see the progress on the 009 layout.  I like the way you’ve rearranged the room to give access to either the 009 or the American Switching Layout - the duckunder for the OO would seem to me a fair price to pay for the more spacious look in the photos.

I read with interest the comments from @ian (here and in die Ercallbahn thread), but given my track record over the past couple of years, I carefully avoided making big promises in my “end of term report” when updated my own Narrow Gauge thread for Christmas.  Interestingly, Mrs A would like to see me make clear progress on a layout project in 2023, so I’ve narrowed my focus back to American HO, my narrow gauge H0e / HOn30, and a TT kit I’ve part finished.  And that’ll be it…

…apart from this new arrival being run in as I type 😀:

76E752FB-3824-4911-AB48-D304EEFFBEB0.jpeg.126c2bf5846d0d301334bade7758baa9.jpeg

Have a good New Year and here’s to 2023, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

…apart from this new arrival being run in as I type 😀

Keith! I really do like that! Pauses whilst telling myself 'I am not starting something else, I am not starting something else, I am not starting something else....' 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Woody C said:

Keith! I really do like that! Pauses whilst telling myself 'I am not starting something else, I am not starting something else, I am not starting something else....' 

• Funny 2