Scaling up Scalescenes Files

• RMweb Premium

I’m looking at the possibility of using a Scalescenes 4mm downloaded file for a low relief building  in Gn15  ie 1/ 24 scale

Any idea what ratio I need for using on the printer to upscale the image for printing  ?

Terry

Are you printing from a file or could you photocopy? - if the latter, I would take a known measurement (say, one foot or 4mm to scale) draw that on a piece of a4 and then play around with enlarging settings until the "foot" matched your scale.  That will give you the right "%" setting? 

I have made a lot of Scalescenes buildings in 7mm, by simply putting in the scaling factor in the "Custom Scale" box in the print window.  For 7mm this is 175%.  I did some math and 1/24 should be 12.5mm to the foot.  This gives me 312% which seems to be about right.

You will need to do quite a bit of splicing since you will only get a small area of the building on your A4 sheet, unless you have access to a big printer.

The other thing is that as you scale up the drawing, some fidelity will be lost.  Nothing to be lost by having a play except a few sheets of paper and a bit of ink.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

I had also come up with a similar figure of 317% on my printer.

Yes I would have dissect the file into bite sized bits or find a commercial printer, however the printed image may not be good enough.

Many thanks for reply  

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I don't think you'll get the resolution at that scale. And as others have said,  youll need to break it up into portions.

You might be better off creating your own "kit" using the scalescenes techniques of layering card and overlaying decorative brick papers etc. It's quite straightforward to do and can give good results. 

• Agree 2

I agree, using the Scalescenes structural design for your building is a good approach.  I am not familiar with the availability of building materials in 1/24, but using embossed plastic walls and good quality windows/doors will make a fine model.

John

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

To be honest, I don't think you'll get the resolution at that scale. 

I might have it wrong, but I have always understood that one of the advantages of PDF’s were that they were resolution independent I.e. scaleable to whatever the reproduction size used. However personally I mostly import my scalescenes files into photoshop and print out just the bits I want and adjust the resolution to suit.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I might have it wrong, but I have always understood that one of the advantages of PDF’s were that they were resolution independent I.e. scaleable to whatever the reproduction size used. However personally I mostly import my scalescenes files into photoshop and print out just the bits I want and adjust the resolution to suit.

Well yes, but the decorative bits of scalescenes kits (e.g. brickwork or tiles) are bitmaps. 

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I have always understood that one of the advantages of PDF’s were that they were resolution independent I.e. scaleable to whatever the reproduction size used.

That only applies to the design elements that are vector based such as text or drawings. Photos (and photographic textures) are bitmaps and would need to be present in a very high resolution for that amount of 'upscaling', which would make the file size too big for easy distribution over the internet.

David

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Well yes, but the decorative bits of scalescenes kits (e.g. brickwork or tiles) are bitmaps. 

9 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

That only applies to the design elements that are vector based such as text or drawings. Photos (and photographic textures) are bitmaps and would need to be present in a very high resolution for that amount of 'upscaling', which would make the file size too big for easy distribution over the internet.

David

Ah, thanks both, didn’t realise it was vectors & bitmaps together. No doubt me generally running stuff through Photoshop hid the issue, as it imports/converts PDF’s at a standard 300dpi.

• RMweb Gold

It should be possible to load the files into your favourite drawing program and replace the bitmap textures with higher res ones if required.

Using a drawing program would also be a good way to control the scale and to divide up the design into printable chunks.

Edited by Harlequin