ER Class 31s in green with double arrow logos - late 60s/early 70s

andyman7

I'm aware from various photos and models that Stratford (ER) in particular seemed to be the epicentre of locos in BR green with Full Yellow Ends and double arrow logo in place of lion on wheel this livery combination appearing on at least one example of classes 15, 23 and 31 at least. Class 31 5518 carried this livery for a time but does anyone know of any other 31s that carried this livery (and any photos/links/).

I've noted from the fabulous DerbySulzers site that at least one class 24 also managed this combination too, but it is the 31 I want to model for now.

Thanks for any help!

• RMweb Premium

Try looking through the rail-online website. A search for Cl 31 will bring up all the photos. 31's in this state weren't confined to Stratford. Farish based their Green with arrows one on a WR region loco. I believe, but am not certain, that most Cl 31's locos finished like this were ones just re-engined and thus given a fresh lick of paint, as the changeover of livery and insignia occurred, so were just given the arrows until the next visit to the paintshop,

It was looking through rail-online that enabled me to finish my Farish skinhead in this state, D5520, a Stratford based one.

1293944340_RMweb3103.jpg.6c0427a2624c5aaa4ad53cd37b484584.jpg

Edited by Izzy
restore image
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Problem is if you try and do this livery on a Hornby 31 it looks odd because the centre band is only painted on .

A decent unrefurbrished 31 is a model that is crying out to be modelled and would probably be very popular and for some reason seems to go unnoticed 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, russ p said:

Problem is if you try and do this livery on a Hornby 31 it looks odd because the centre band is only painted on .

A decent unrefurbrished 31 is a model that is crying out to be modelled and would probably be very popular and for some reason seems to go unnoticed 

For this project a Lima model is the base...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

For this project a Lima model is the base...

I'm probably going to do the same, but in an age where you can get RTR models of GT3 and DHP1 this shouldn't be the case 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Lima actually produced 5518 back in the day.

It was amazing how many different liveries they did on all their diesel classes.

Lima 31.jpg

Shame it hasn't actually got gangway doors but looks better than Hornby one with FYE

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Lima actually produced 5518 back in the day.

It was amazing how many different liveries they did on all their diesel classes.

Lima 31.jpg

My base is one of these that has already been fitted with pipe detail. 5518 was a bit of celebrity and the 31 rebuilt from a 'Toffee Apple' and I like modelling more run of the mill examples, so I was looking for suitable candidates (and thanks to the help here I now have plenty). The Lima bodyshell includes plated over connecting doors, wrong for this period so that needs sorting - and of course it needs to be a fair bit grimier, especially the roof...

• Like 1

There were a LOT of Class 31s like this - I still occasionally find examples I wasn't previously aware of! Some - D5610 & D5677 instantly come to mind - even received arrow logos while still in green with small yellow panels. The vast majority had the logo close up under the top stripe like Izzy's above but there were variations - 5623's logos were 'centralised' like the Lima model, which is incorrect (logo too large and in the wrong location for 5518), and 5557/61 had logos on all four cabsides. I liked that scheme, I painted an Airfix one as 5557 about 40 years ago. Right now I have an Airfix body on a Hornby Railroad chassis which is impatiently waiting to be finished as 31294 in green........it did exist, I saw it at Reading on 16/2/74!

• Like 4

In my collection I have images that confirm the following (at least) wore GFYE livery, with BR double arrows;

5513, 5518, 5520, 5557*, 5600, 5610, 5612, 5618, 5624, 5630, 5637, 5647, 5662, 5663, 5668, 5690, 5692, 5699, 5801, 5803, 5808, 5812, 5813, 5814, 5818, 5820, 5821, 5823, 5824, 5826, 5827, 5828, 5829, 5842, 5843.

NOTE *

5557 wore GFYE livery, with four sets of arrows, below each cabside  window, with the loco number 'inboard' of each cab door.

Brian R

• Informative/Useful 1