Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

That does look a nice little kit Graham.

Also, I've been away for a couple of weeks, but meant to say I really like the flow you've achieved on your trackwork, it looks really good.

Al.

Thanks Al, but it's not quite as smooth as it might look!  (Or as I would like it to be).  Should have taken more time over it perhaps; now I have to resist the urge to rip parts up and re-lay them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2021 at 12:03, Stubby47 said:

A curved cattle dock only needs to have a curved platform, the pens can still be straight sided.

I agree with you Stu, but wonder if that might look a bit odd?  I think I'll probably go for lifting and straightening the end of that siding.  Here's how it would be, do you think this looks reasonable?  I'll also double the size of the cattle dock; there would have been quite a lot of cattle traffic in the imaginary location (Herefordshire).

image.png.c8b9d050ea20e0450bf4947ae0ce8a31.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2

I think it was pretty rare for cattle docks to be at the end of sidings, unless that siding was dedicated for livestock traffic. I believe the reason was that that cattle trucks tended to be turned around quickly, so other vehicles stabled there would essentially be in the way. 

Edited by clachnaharry

• RMweb Gold

If it's a dedicated cattle dock siding, it only needs to be as long as the dock plus clearance.

So you could halve the length it is, and straighten what's left.  This would give better road access to the other siding too.

Edit:

And what Harry said

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

You could well be right - I don't know enough about the prototype to say one way or the other.  But there's always an example out there somewhere!  Here's mine :)

lambourn-aerial-view.jpg.5e627c7c2108e0d6302a8da46f4df134.jpg

Although admittedly the dock at Lambourn was used mostly for horses, I believe...

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

You could well be right - I don't know enough about the prototype to say one way or the other.  But there's always an example out there somewhere!  Here's mine :)

2048090475_lambourn-aerial-view.jpg.6922eb7b7ce95b1877839b2b4920e9a7.jpg

Although admittedly the dock at Lambourn was used mostly for horses, I believe...

..and it runs the full length of the siding, so in effect the siding is dedicated to livestock traffic.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Now that would be an interesting basis for a model....:blink:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Here's a tweak that would allow better access to the other siding, with the assumption that this is indeed a dedicated livestock siding.  The buffer stop would be immediately after the fourth wagon, and the dock would extend up to just before the point.

image.png.a50eaf19428cb2e132829df993f2f782.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Graham, would you mind reposting that photo on Chris's Warren Branch thread? It seems the perfect example to show for his coal merchant's conundrum

Al.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, clachnaharry said:

That looks good to me. Do you have an end loading dock already? If not - it would be a good use for the end of that siding.

Thanks.  I do have an end loading dock at the end of the bay platform (which I'm having second thoughts about, but that's another story).  But I think I will probably add one here as well, as per the Lambourn photo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Graham, would you mind reposting that photo on Chris's Warren Branch thread? It seems the perfect example to show for his coal merchant's conundrum

Al.

Will do - although I'm a bit wary about adding even more fuel to the debate!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

Thanks Al

1 minute ago, Graham T said:

Will do - although I'm a bit wary about adding even more fuel to the debate!

I'm not scary am I? :lol:

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Just didn't want to give you even more options, at risk of spawning Warren III !

If anything its proven I can put the staithes where I like because they didn't appear to be too bothered about them being midway along the goods siding..........if thats what I'm looking at?

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

If anything its proven I can put the staithes where I like because they didn't appear to be too bothered about them being midway along the goods siding..........if thats what I'm looking at?

Yes, exactly what I was thinking.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2021 at 14:12, chuffinghell said:

Well there's always Rule 1, thank goodness.

Take a look at this pic as well.  There's also a coal store at the far end of the goods shed., i think.

lambourn-goods-yard.png.3b335b4075932847f666e788cd62e8db.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Well there's always Rule 1, thank goodness.

Take a look at this pic as well.  There's also a coal store at the far end of the goods shed., i think.

2027934748_lambourn-goods-yardcopy.png.08d924d9750a15addd15c2ae4fdef869.png

That may have been what was known as "Station Coal". It's often marked on old station plans as the store for the site supplies.

• RMweb Gold

The platelayers hut is almost finished, I think.  I might add some flashing around the chimney, but I'm not entirely sure that a hut like this would have had it?  The roof covering is tissue paper soaked in diluted PVA, in an attempt to simulate felt.  It may or may not survive - that will depend on how it looks once I've painted it!

image.png.a6a79f9b21b90ee0d1d856c8893ae281.png

image.png.ff6122fdbde7a9950497f669333166c4.png

Edited by Graham T
Spooling
  • Like 8