Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I made another start on a new project today, something I've been meaning to do for a while.  There's only a single spotlight in the railway spare room, so it gets a bit dingy in the evenings.  The plan to fix this is to put a lighting pelmet in, with a couple of strips of LED lights.  The ones I've bought come with the added bonus of multiple colours and a disco flashing function, should you be so inclined.  But I think I might give that a miss!

Here's a pic of pretty much the whole of Chuffnell Regis, and progress with the pelmet so far.

image.png.5ce5fc53f655181a381b78a7bf1f3f63.png

image.png.794d7f5548b1271ae2f2247c20f9569c.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

You probably can have too many locos, but I'm not there yet :)  

Heres the latest toy.  At some point, when I make a start on fettling - and indeed firtling - my rolling stock, I will need to figure out which member of this class (might have) operated in my fictional area, and number her accordingly.  But for now I'm quite happy just to play.  This is a loco that I've been wanting to get for a while, but couldn't find one without DCC sound.  I always thought sound-fitted locos were a bit of a gimmick, but when I found out that I probably wouldn't be able to get a mute Dukedog until at least next year, I decided to bite the bullet and get this one.  I'm very glad that I did, and have to say that I'm now a convert! 

image.png.51e248cd9f56c78a1960c9663338f544.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Just for something different, I've made a start on building the goods shed.  This is an Arch Laser kit of Fairford shed.  Although not a bad kit, the wood used is very thin, and there's no interior detail, apart from some roof trusses.  So I've opened up all the doors, and lined it with 2mm card, coated in white brick paper.  I'll add guttering and so on, and also have some Slaters sheet for the corrugated iron roof.

I'm now adding the internal loading platform, and have a few questions.  First, how far into the shed would the cut-out in the platform be, for vehicles to back in?  I'm assuming that the platform would have a wooden deck, and that the planks would run parallel to the tracks?  Lastly, I'm planning to make the loading platform about 3 feet high, does that sound about right?

Here's how the shell looks, and roughly in place on the layout.

image.png.73c163c3ded7c30062213ef582982cb2.png

image.png.73017441d042c7870f735e26cf7a52c8.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I spent a long time cleaning all my track this evening.  Firstly with a track rubber, then isopropyl alcohol, and finally a wipe over with a graphite stick.  I now wish that I'd spent more time and care on my track laying in the first place, and hadn't been in such a rush to get everything fastened down.  There are far too many "lumps and bumps", which understandably some of the locos don't especially like.  And painting the sides of the track - agh!  I should have taken far more care when I was doing that...

I've also discovered that some of my ballast had built up on the faces of the rails that I can't see from the viewing side of the layout, and of course that isn't exactly great for smooth running either.  So I've been carefully removing that wherever I find it.  The final fly in the ointment is that my stock has a right mixture of couplings, and so things don't always go well in that department either :)  I haven't decided yet on what coupling system I'm going to use.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

Anyway, running is improving (slowly) as I clean and "firtle" the track.  I'll give all the locos another few runs on the rolling road as well.  And lots of lessons learned for the next layout.  My eye keeps getting drawn to the far end of the open plan living room in my flat.  If I relocated my home office I could fit a 15 x 10 foot L-shape in there...  Not sure how well that would go down with the boss though!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

13 hours ago, Graham T said:

I spent a long time cleaning all my track this evening.  Firstly with a track rubber, then isopropyl alcohol, and finally a wipe over with a graphite stick.  I now wish that I'd spent more time and care on my track laying in the first place, and hadn't been in such a rush to get everything fastened down.  There are far too many "lumps and bumps", which understandably some of the locos don't especially like.  And painting the sides of the track - agh!  I should have taken far more care when I was doing that...

I've also discovered that some of my ballast had built up on the faces of the rails that I can't see from the viewing side of the layout, and of course that isn't exactly great for smooth running either.  So I've been carefully removing that wherever I find it.  The final fly in the ointment is that my stock has a right mixture of couplings, and so things don't always go well in that department either :)  I haven't decided yet on what coupling system I'm going to use.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

Anyway, running is improving (slowly) as I clean and "firtle" the track.  I'll give all the locos another few runs on the rolling road as well.  And lots of lessons learned for the next layout.  My eye keeps getting drawn to the far end of the open plan living room in my flat.  If I relocated my home office I could fit a 15 x 10 foot L-shape in there...  Not sure how well that would go down with the boss though!

Graham if it is any consolation I find that when ever I paint and ballast track I inevitably spend the new few weeks removing some excess ballast from rail sides and sleepers, and cleaning the rails.  I also keep on hoovering the track which picks up quite a bit of excess ballast.  Eventually things improve.  I tend to paint the points by hand before I lay them, but then spray the other track when it is in situ.    I also hand ballast the points - i.e. I put down a thin layer of PVA between the sleepers then add fine ballast.  With the other track I sprinkle ballast then add diluted PVA/washing up liquid mix (having masked off the points).  Either way It needs a good clean afterwards, and touch ups of paint and ballast.    

As to couplings - I think standardisation is key (whatever you use).  I ended up standardising on the short NEM (Bachmann type) couplings.  Not perfect and a bit unsightly, and I use the hand of God uncoupling system.  Having said that as long as the couplings are a consistent height,  I rarely get derailments, or buffer lock.   I'm sure there are better coupling systems.      

As to a new layout - it is better to ask forgiveness than permission. (O.K that is totally not true when dealing with one's wife/partner).  Best of luck

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't tried that method of ballasting points, so I might give it a try.  So far I've done it all by sprinkling and then spreading the ballast with a brush, before dripping on dilute PVA.  The biggest problem with the track though, is that I decided in the planning stages to be a bit clever (big mistake, it turned out) and have the goods yard a few mil lower than the main running lines.  The transition between the levels isn't smooth enough, and some of the locos don't like running over that stretch.  I'm still in two minds as to whether I should lift and re-lay that section or not.  At least it doesn't have any point rodding next to those tracks...

I'm with you on standardising the couplings, I just need to decide which ones to use.  I'd like something inconspicuous, and have no problem with hand uncoupling.  So I might go with Kadee, or Spratt and Winkle, or even 3-link and screws.  @ianLMS had some interesting magnetic ones that he was developing on Jencaster, so I might have another look at that thread too.

The new layout is tempting, but I should really focus on this one I think (for now).  I've already sunk a lot of money into it!  But an extra 50% of space, mmm....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I spent a few minutes of my lunch break working on the goods shed.  Here are the roof trusses painted and dry fitted in place.  The sharp eyed amongst you will notice that I wasn't as sharp as my craft knife is, and made the first cut for the truss end to sit in, in the wrong place.  So I'll have to fill that.  You probably won't be able to see it once the roof is on, but ...

image.png.965a565e48b1b80b844a24f865524ed0.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

6 hours ago, Graham T said:

The biggest problem with the track though, is that I decided in the planning stages to be a bit clever (big mistake, it turned out) and have the goods yard a few mil lower than the main running lines.  The transition between the levels isn't smooth enough, and some of the locos don't like running over that stretch.  I'm still in two minds as to whether I should lift and re-lay that section or not.  At least it doesn't have any point rodding next to those tracks...

Hi,

speaking from experience it would be best to relay that section of track now rather than later.  If you don't the poor running of some of your locos will continually annoy you and spoil your enjoyment of the layout and you'll end up either a) wishing you'd done it earlier, or, b) do something more drastic, possibly involving a hammer!

Roja

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Graham T said:

So I might go with Kadee, or Spratt and Winkle, or even 3-link and screws.  @ianLMS had some interesting magnetic ones that he was developing on Jencaster, so I might have another look at that thread too.

Evening Graham. Unfortunately i have not had much chance or success at developing the couplings any further. I know there are new magnetic couplings from a company called Hunt which some others have used succesfully. I hear they may be trying to develop something a bit more realistic for use with steam locos and older stock, poss screw or 3 link.  It will be a long while before i try anything more on my system. Good luck and i will follow your progress closely. 

Ian

Edited by ianLMS
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, ianLMS said:

Evening Graham. Unfortunately i have not had much chance or success at developing the couplings any further. I know there are new magnetic couplings from a company called Hunt which some others have used succesfully. I hear they may be trying to develop something a bit more realistic for use with steam locos and older stock, poss screw or 3 link.  It will be a long while before i try anything more on my system. Good luck and i will follow your progress closely. 

Ian

Morning Ian.  That's a shame, I thought your coupling system looked good and had a lot of promise (very much enjoy looking at your layout too, I must say).  Hunt couplings look really interesting, thanks for the tip.  I may just get a few Bachmann couplings for now, as they are what most of my stock seems to have, so that I can standardise until I decide on the final fitting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The calm before the storm at an unsuspecting Chuffnell Regis this morning...

Normally I'd only run a goods train about half that size, but I have to put the wagons somewhere.

image.png.fba25fba28c51c93083ddcf49b47313a.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I think I have to agree that you might continue to have running problems if you leave it as is. There's nothing wrong with wanting a change of elevation, it just needs to be gradual is all. But if you don't have the space to do that then it's probably best to revert to plan B.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well there's certainly no going back now George...  Carnage ensued!  Luckily I've managed to lift all the points without any damage.  I can see some soldering of droppers in my future though, unfortunately...  And most, if not all, of the plain track will need to be replaced.  But looking on the bright side, it gives me an opportunity to tweak the positioning of the goods yard sidings a little bit :)

image.png.30259ee40836f4842d1ce263da78925f.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8