Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

So, the guttering on the goods shed is now finished.  I had to make a hopper out of plastic card to copy the set-up at Fairford, but that wasn't too much of a fiddle.  I think the Ratio components are pretty good, but they're obviously overscale, so I expect I will rebuild this with Modelu parts at some point.

Next I need to finish the doors - the ones in the kit have no interior markings, and for some reason only show the top hinge as well.  I'll need to carefully scribe the inside faces, then add bracing and the missing hinges.  The lean-to also needs building, which should be fun, but I'm not actually going to fix that to the shed until I've painted everything.

image.png.57aed2d7a47c477af2809968f8dbedd2.png

Now, time for a deep breath - and to finish the ballasting!

Edited by Graham T
Wrong word!
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

Looking very nice Graham! I've got some Modelu parts waiting for Coombe Town's Goods Shed, I have to say in the flesh they really are the bees-knees so definitely worthwhile doing.

Thanks.  I really should have gone for the Modelu components in the first place, but wasn't patient enough to wait for them :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit of a red letter day here at Chuffnell Regis, as ballasting is now complete!  I still need to do the cleaning up once the PVA has dried, then clean all the track, vacuum everywhere.  Oh, and start weathering the ballast...  But all that can be done a little bit at a time, I think.  I'm sure I'll find the odd little patch that needs some attention as I'm cleaning up as well, but it's nice to have that particular job finished.

image.png.13bb7db11a12398d6d6b1c7f20bbf25e.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

I've also continued with the paintwork on the goods shed.  The roof has had another coat of Tamiya mid-grey, and I've picked out a few sheets in light grey, then almost covered that up again, just to give the idea of some sheets that have been replaced.  Later on it will get a good slathering of rust, and a spot of moss here and there.

But the next step is some light tan all over the brickwork, both to seal it ready for the dry-brushing, and to represent the mortar.

image.png.39ffe81e927aa73f8b45122226713bd1.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

Look great! Apologies if you’re already said earlier on you thread (too lazy to look) but what have you used for ballast?

Thanks Chris.  I think it's Woodland Scenics fine light grey, but I'll check to be certain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I only asked because I’ve used Peco fine but what you’ve used looks much finer to me, something I need to consider if/when I do another layout

Although I’d really like to do an industry/chemical plant type layout with silos, tanks and a load of external pipework everywhere with a track set into the ground

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

Although I’d really like to do an industry/chemical plant type layout with silos, tanks and a load of external pipework everywhere with a track set into the ground

Even though I've ballasted the goods yard, most of that will end up getting buried in Das, as I'm planning to use the Chris Nevard technique for ground cover on the sidings.  Also, I've cheated a bit and not ballasted the cattle dock siding at all, since that will have concrete slabs between and around the tracks.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Even though I've ballasted the goods yard, most of that will end up getting buried in Das, as I'm planning to use the Chris Nevard technique for ground cover on the sidings.  Also, I've cheated a bit and not ballasted the cattle dock siding at all, since that will have concrete slabs between and around the tracks.

I’ve still not decided how to do my goods yard, which possibly explains why I’m doing everything instead, typical of my avoidance behaviour :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

That'll do for today, said Zebedee.  I was just feeling rather pleased with myself, thinking that I'd got the ground frame and the associated roddage all finished - than I had a look at this photo.  Can you see what I've done wrong?

image.png.c30e83a73d5dd188468e401c25a6e120.png

Yep, they should be adjustable cranks.  In the words of the bard, rowlocks.  Back to the drawing board tomorrow then!

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That'll do for today, said Zebedee.  I was just feeling rather pleased with myself, thinking that I'd got the ground frame and the associated roddage all finished - than I had a look at this photo.  Can you see what I've done wrong?

IMG20210912220755.jpg.dc3925a843b96eed62e9b9405694be7a.jpg

Yep, they should be adjustable cranks.  In the words of the bard, rowlocks.  Back to the drawing board tomorrow then!

If you are going to alter them, this diagram might be useful, as it shows that the drive rod that actually actuates the point runs to the switch rail itself, where the manufacturer has his stretcher bar.  The fancy rodding shown on the drawing beyond the toe only applies to points with facing point locks, and there are extension pieces on the end of the switch rails to suit. FPLs are unlikely on what look like siding points operated by a ground frame.

image.png.c4f4c9985d50a2773f3138cf3303d98b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

All quiet at Chuffnell Regis shed this morning, nobody about yet.  Probably because there isn't any track laid!  I must find a turntable.  Any recommendations for a 55 foot table?

image.png.baab3a3fff3adcabf0c429e4188d1c1e.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

All those of a purist disposition should probably look away now...

Having slept on it, I've decided I can live with having the wrong cranks on the two goods yard points.  They are hardly noticeable from normal viewing distance, and if I can live with the overscale Wills roddage then I can also live with these two cranks!  Plus, if I keep changing everything that I don't think is quite right then I will never actually make any progress.  I'd have to rebuild my baseboards and do new backscenes for a start.

So, they will be staying.  For now at least.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, slow8dirty said:

You've got to look at the overall picture, which in this case is shaping up very nicely. As you say, Wills IS overscale, and the track is too narrow, but they still look very nice together.

Don't get me started on the track!!!!  I did consider EM when I got into this, would you believe?

• Like 2