Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

All those of a purist disposition should probably look away now...

Having slept on it, I've decided I can live with having the wrong cranks on the two goods yard points.  They are hardly noticeable from normal viewing distance, and if I can live with the overscale Wills roddage then I can also live with these two cranks!  Plus, if I keep changing everything that I don't think is quite right then I will never actually make any progress.  I'd have to rebuild my baseboards and do new backscenes for a start.

So, they will be staying.  For now at least.

Absolutely agree - it is amazing what you can live with by way of small inaccuracies.  I admire Modellers  who aim for (and achieve) total accuracy in their modelling.  However in my case that is never going to happen.   I'd rather complete a layout, to a reasonable overall standard, and get it running than sweat over the smaller details which are hard to view from three foot away.  I know sod all about art but think the term "impressionist" might apply to my modelling. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Absolutely agree - it is amazing what you can live with by way of small inaccuracies.  I admire Modellers  who aim for (and achieve) total accuracy in their modelling.  However in my case that is never going to happen.   I'd rather complete a layout, to a reasonable overall standard, and get it running than sweat over the smaller details which are hard to view from three foot away.  I know sod all about art but think the term "impressionist" might apply to my modelling. 

I think you're absolutely right, and "impressionist" is a good term to apply.  Indeed @Gedward referred to building his layout as being like making a 3D painting - I thought that was a great way of describing it.  For me, the overall scene is the thing, and I also enjoy all the different skills that are required to make it all work (many of which I still lack!)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

@slow8dirty As another former matelot this might interest you.  Totally off-topic, but something I built about 15 years ago.  She's 1:72 scale.

1905932156_Campanula-finished008.jpg.03182ee06438461f4992593b7e7ed624.jpg

Very nice, I've been tempted by the Revell Flower kits but not bit yet. Back on track!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Totally off-topic, but something I built about 15 years ago.  She's 1:72 scale.

One of my ex colleagues, Bobby was a model maker extraordinaire. (See portrait on my thread). The guy was an absolute genius at making pretty much anything from scratch. His main 'thing' was boats. Mostly sail boats/ships. He would build them as presents for senior staff etc. I was very lucky to receive one for my 50th birthday back in 2005. He built the ship from exact plans and then placed it in a 'sea' or 'river'. And built a display case to put it in. He also loved to put ships in bottles and then explain exactly all his magic to anyone interested.

Bobby Norris RIP. You are my inspiration. You gave me the courage to try scratch building.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Back to the trains :)  The ground frame is now bedded in, and the rods have been painted with gunmetal, and a touch of oily steel around the cranks.  I think I can live with them, and, as my grandma used to say "a blind man on a galloping horse would be glad to see it".  Quite a Western looking scene I think.

image.png.58ff115afdcff26cf69092c4cca51762.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I've also made a start on the lean to store for the end of the goods shed; a fun little project.  A plasticard shell with coffee stirrers as the cover, and then plasticard strips for the joints.  Unfortunately the stirrers are a bit too wide as they come, so need to be split, which is more fiddly than you would expect!  Luckily I have a box of 1,000...

Rather than trying to cut each individual length to the correct size I made them slightly large, glued them all onto the plasticard shell, and then used a razor saw to trim off the ends once the glue had dried.  Much easier, quicker, and more accurate!

image.png.ff9d76049aef4e3028336dca1bb660a2.png

Edited by Graham T
Extra words
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

The first layers of paint are now on the goods shed, initially to seal the wood (which is as thirsty as a sailor on shore leave), and then to give a base for dry brushing the brickwork.  I'm using the Timbertracks painting guide for this, but have opted for acrylics rather than enamels.  So for the mortar I've opted for Tamiya XF-55, deck tan.  I've also used some Mr Surfacer to fill a few gaps here and there.

image.png.9019c0d0dbd2132bb732a90d6468c00d.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just a bit of test fitting.  The store shed looks quite large to my eye, but then I look at the size of the door and think that the front elevation of it couldn't really be made much smaller.  And I've based the length of the side elevation on the length of a sleeper, as I'll be using some sleepers to make a half-height wall at this end of the lean-to.

image.png.428dcfce1ec03269317da4b6c3a0ee74.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 13/09/2021 at 22:05, Graham T said:

Rather than trying to cut each individual length to the correct size I made them slightly large, glued them all onto the plasticard shell, and then used a razor saw to trim off the ends once the glue had dried.  Much easier, quicker, and more accurate!

Definitely the easiest way to make planks the right length.

Sometimes it's handy to leave one longer than needed, to give a handle to hold when painting, also to test paint dryness on.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I was doing exactly the same and it worked quite well. But being a bit of tool junkie, I recently purchased a 'Chopper'. It's basically a razor blade mounted on an arm and gives very accurate repeat cuts. I'm planning on building a bunch of 'sleeper' retaining walls. So it should speed up the process.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos

• RMweb Gold

Here's the result of a first dry-brushing with a mix of Hobby Colour purple red and sandy brown.  It doesn't look too bad I think, but a bit uniform perhaps.  I will probably go over it again with a slightly paler colour - just adding a drop or two of white to the mix.

I noticed that the roof has lifted a little, need to glue that back down.

image.png.5983453b831b2d92a83d3ceca509c061.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The lighter shade made the walls look too pink, so I dry brushed over it again with the first colour mix.  And now I think it looks too red again!  Next will be to try a wash (once everything has dried) of the mortar colour, and then wipe it straight back off.  Of course, the brick colour will look a bit different to the eye when the office roof and woodwork have been painted as well, but I can't tackle those until the dry brushing is all done.  Provided things look ok at that stage I'll pick out a few of the bricks in slightly different shades then.

image.png.cf4e61853d0f64d895af15c127f5a367.png

I've also made a bit more headway with the lean-to.  The base is added just to give me a fighting chance of making everything more or less square.  The roof has a layer of tissue paper on it to represent the felt.  I think I need to add another thin styrene strip at each corner of the wooden store room too.

image.png.a2e2bc54417b8ac89de18f76d2c33357.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This is beginning to feel like the never ending saga of the goods shed brickwork...  The wash of mortar colour (deck tan) has helped to tone down the pinkness of the bricks, but I still think it needs to be a bit more of an orangey-brown colour.  So, next will be a dry brush of mixed sandy brown and rust red, both from Hobby Colour, followed by picking out some individual bricks, and then another mortar wash to tie everything together.  Then it's going to be called finished, come what may!

image.png.c4e421df68bc1d020c342334c88767ed.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

No more painting bricks!  At least not for a while.  One photo in (dull) natural light, and then one in place on the layout.  I think it's more or less ok now.  I've learnt some lessons for the next time anyway.  Is it still too pink-looking?  What do you think?

image.png.709eaec184ce789ff7dfd036be68ad52.png

image.png.90b024c696104e2e8032245cf09dfdb7.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

If I might be so bold. The bricks you've picked out seem a bit too bright and they're all singles. On my screen they look sky blue. I think I would use a similar shade to the main brick and add more. Include some multiples also.

• Agree 1