Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

The lean-to is almost finished now.  Added a few details to the door; hinges, and a clasp and padlock.  The sleepers are from Intentio.  Looks like it needs a good dusting before I slap any paint on it though!

image.png.eedeec676fb8c9583deeaaa896a349f5.png

image.png.567b6f957a1d3388311e1c153f2725c9.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Cleaning track and then trouble-shooting electrical gremlins had me tearing my hair out this afternoon, so I've also been doing a little more to the shed, in an effort to preserve my small stock of remaining sanity (Too late!  I hear you cry)

Anyway, I took some of @Gedward's good advice, and picked out some more of the individual bricks in different shades, and also coloured a few in clusters rather than singles.  I've left the light grey bricks; although they seem to stand out on the screen, they look ok to me in real life.  And another wash of deck tan seemed to tone everything down nicely.  So I've started painting the rest of the shed, which is much more enjoyable so far than doing the brickwork!  A question, if anyone out there knows.  What would the lintels over the track doors been have made of?  Timber or steel?

I think I will give some gentle weathering to the lower levels of the interior walls as well at some point.  The paint on the lean-to is coming along, a mix of washes and dry-brushing over a black base coat.  It isn't yet fixed in place; eventually there will be a heap of coal in there too.

image.png.7f072addab8374d94456775d689a2a46.png

image.png.0d11278f80d305e4e44d910dbecc1d2e.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Al :)

Time now for the fine brush and the steady hand, as I tackle those frames around the main doors.  Which reminds me, I still need to build the doors too.  And I must remember to add glazing to the office at the end!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Al. The brickwork looks very natural and weathered. I particularly like what's with happening with the lean-to also.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Thanks 1

Looking really good now with subtle brick tones. 

As for the lintel over the doors, either material is likely, depending on who built it and when. I've even seen girders boxed over with timber to improve the look of a building.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.  I've been looking at photos of Fairford shed in the Paul Karau book, but they don't help much beyond that the lintel looks dark!

Also, interesting to see there are smoke stains on each end of the shed, so locos clearly moved through it.  If course there were extensive sidings beyond the shed at Fairford.  There aren't at Chuffnell Regis, so no smoke stains required!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm starting to see more and more pop-up ads on the site recently.  They don't usually bother me, but now on the mobile site there is always an ad floating over the notifications button, so I can't see those on my phone.  Grrr.  The stock of profanities has been suitably reduced.

• RMweb Gold

I added some interior detail to the goods shed doors last night, cross bracing and hinges.  As you can see, some filler is needed!  Luckily I'm not a carpenter in the real world...

image.png.0a3534bcab5b87c1010c54c90d153a86.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And here are the results of some hot shunting action (phwoar!) at Chuffnell Regis this morning.  I really must get some of my tank engines DCC fitted.  An age spent on track cleaning and using the rolling road is slowly improving running, although the Oxford Rail Dean Goods is still very much the runt of the litter in that respect.

You can see all of the buildings that I've made so far.  The pagoda hut, which is barely visible, will be going to the big round filing cabinet at some point, as it was built straight out of the box and I'm not very happy with it.

Time to get the paint and filler out.  The lean-to at the end of the goods shed is going to get some more dry brushing to lighten the colours; I think the wood still looks too dark.

image.png.0b492cd9f98129aafb2addbd99fd3ba6.png

image.png.3268b9e8572cdc6559fb901519e8762e.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

I still think this needs to be a bit lighter?  Will probably leave the door as it is though, since it gives a bit of contrast.  Maybe it's a different material, or someone decided to give it a lick of paint?

image.png.60b0a3d221254adda6d86eafd30cf9ad.png

image.png.7a9092ede51925984e241b239c328bf8.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I still think this needs to be a bit lighter?  Will probably leave the door as it is though, since it gives a bit of contrast.  Maybe it's a different material, or someone decided to give it a lick of paint?

IMG20210919102934.jpg.4c49f0214dd234d6a4eb300ecead0d15.jpg

IMG20210919102917.jpg.5532c203ae405b5feba3118e8f96be43.jpg

That looks fantastic! How did you get that effect? I will need to do similar for the Lyme Regis goods shed, when I eventually get that far...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Why thank you!  I think using the coffee stirrers helps, as you have a real wood texture at the base.  I gave it a priming coat of flat black, then a light grey wash, an earth wash if I remember, and then several very light dry brushings with various shades of grey.  All acrylics, as I like the drying time.  (Whereas if I'm painting a picture I prefer oil paints, again because of the drying time - but in the opposite direction!)

The roof is plasticard with tissue paper glued on using dilute PVA, the railway modeller's friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well after a painful day yesterday (track cleaning and electrics - ugh) I've rediscovered what I enjoy about the hobby today.  Really starting to enjoy myself with the goods shed now.  The lean-to is getting closer to what I have in my mind's eye, and the roof of the main building is getting there too.  So far it's had a wash of black, followed by a wash of dark earth.  I'm going to add some rust next, but want to be careful not to overdo it.  Chuffnell Regis is supposed to be set in the 1930s, or thereabouts, so I'm guessing that buildings such as this would still have been pretty well maintained?  The office roof has also been attacked with a mixture of different greys, but is still a bit wet in this pic, so that's why it looks shiny.

Just have to be careful that I don't foul it all up now ...

image.png.0f0f18751193e2b23cc6275cac8ff343.png

image.png.8bd5081cbcaaf0bcdbd78791ce78dd87.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

I'm getting a bit tired of painting now, so might switch targets to something else for a while before I come back and tackle the dark stone.  I decided to do the main doors and awning in Vallejo leather brown (my version of GWR maroon brown!)

Still quite a bit to do, but it's getting there...

image.png.b410fbdc77885b8ad56b230d5fbbf0d9.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, photographing it in natural light helps of course.  Unfortunately it's now got me thinking about re-building the engine shed!

Although I like the Scalescenes stuff, I haven't yet found a good matt varnish for sealing the paper, so I can't use washes on them.  And I've found washes really handy in painting the goods shed.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Look on Little Muddle as Kevin has covered that before.  You’ll need to do search as he has rather a lot of pages!

Paul.

Yes, Kevin uses Testors Dullcote if I remember rightly, but I can't get that out here, and UK suppliers can't ship aerosol cans to the EU.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Here's how things stand this morning.  I've applied some black washes here and there, several to the office roof.  I might add a few touches of moss and lichen on there too.  The dark stone is next to do, and some more coats of white on the office window.  I think the main sliding doors need some light weathering, and as you can see I've added some rust to the corrugated iron roof, but am worried it might be too much?  Answers on a postcard please!  

image.png.44b1cb38488b8ccae5834d4b6be80332.png

image.png.294ccb91abe3c0a7d21a8aad4f4045f4.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11

38 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Here's how things stand this morning.  I've applied some black washes here and there, several to the office roof.  I might add a few touches of moss and lichen on there too.  The dark stone is next to do, and some more coats of white on the office window.  I think the main sliding doors need some light weathering, and as you can see I've added some rust to the corrugated iron roof, but am worried it might be too much?  Answers on a postcard please!  

IMG20210920081006.jpg.1bdb40a9dda9ce2742264ed610df4230.jpg

IMG20210920080939.jpg.ef9adc0d9d1f989438d0a65be9406a03.jpg

That is very good Graham, I love the weathering on the roof in particular.  Great job