Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I found it easiest to tackle one wire at a time, say the black wire from point number one all the way back to the power source, then the same wire on point number two and so on. I taped each wire under the board to keep it tidy until everything was wired and tested. Doing it in stages like that means you can walk away for a while and not forget what you were doing.

It's also handy to say to yourself, I'll get wire X done and have a break. Being able to see progress in the rats nest is encouraging!

That does sound like a sensible way of going about it.  Talking of a rat's nest - you've clearly had a look under my baseboards!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I refuse to post a photo of underneath my baseboards; it's too embarrassing.  I really must tidy it all up.  In fact, I should do that before I start on the point motors.

Notice how I've managed to kick the point motor task into the long grass again?  :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

If you don't have one, get a multimeter with a continuity function. It's far easier if you can test each wire as you go...

Good call Nick.  I already have one, and it's proved very useful.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Also a long length of wire with a crocodile clip on each end, for when you can't reach the other end of the wire you're testing...

Or one of these, I've had mine since my Apprenticeship in 1965, and still does the job today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633597-Circuit-Tester-12/dp/B000LFVPQC/ref=asc_df_B000LFVPQC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309893255017&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16427341996186440729&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007203&hvtargid=pla-378921491724&psc=1

image.png.1097aaa6a1bcb487cb4d880c6d4fe815.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

For something ‘plonked on’ it looks just right! :good:

Thanks Chris.  Not finished yet of course, but then what ever is on a layout?  I'll add the doors once it's been bedded in, and also some handrails next to the office steps.  I'm thinking that I might make a start on building the cattle dock next, and then I could start filling in some of the groundwork between that and the goods shed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

At least you're not having to decipher the circuitry from one of The Dead Sea Scrolls!

IMG_20210922_220026.jpg.ea91548be67d488de6ecd2daf226e5a2.jpg

I thought I saw an omega loop in there, but then I realised that it's all Greek to me...

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I spent a pleasant hour after lunch weathering the ballast (anything to avoid wiring point motors...)  There's a before shot first, showing the light grey ballast.  After a few test runs on the goods yard, where the ballast will almost all be getting covered with Das anyway, I weathered the rest using dilute sleeper grime, and then added black to the mix for the track along the platform.  Looking at an aerial photo of Lambourn the ballast there looked a lot darker than the rest.  I darkened the end of the two tracks next to the terminus buffers too, as per @Alister_G's suggestion.  I've also left some areas without any weathering, as if they've been recently re-ballasted.  I think I might leave the main running line from beyond the station approach out to the fiddle yard untreated as well.  Anyone got thoughts on that?  

I still need to do the track on the bay platform.  Not quite sure what to do with that; make it as dark as the main platform?  Part of that problem is I'm still not quite sure why they bay exists, and so don't know what traffic would have used it mostly!

Now I must get back to work!

image.png.24c404512ff974d16c4d40f80db41bd6.png 

image.png.2b7f93766723b36d6a12e13a53d05fde.png 

image.png.0691cb5f273e9bb323693e243c52dbee.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The eagle-eyed might notice that I also repositioned the ground levers, after following the discussion about them over at Warren Branch.

I only have one ground lever. I hadn't actually installed it yet, but the direction that I had in mind for installation was of course, the wrong one...

Thanks to the Warren Branch Conference, I now know better!

• Friendly/supportive 1