Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I only have one ground lever. I hadn't actually installed it yet, but the direction that I had in mind for installation was of course, the wrong one...

Thanks to the Warren Branch Conference, I now know better!

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I find those 50/50 decisions go the wrong way far more often than you'd expect...

As @Nick C said in the Warren Branch thread - "Having a quick look at some prototype photos shows them either way around, about 60/40 in favour of pointing to the toe." 

Looking through various books, I came to much the same conclusion, so I leave it to the mathematicians to work out what a 50/50 decision on a 60/40 chance is, or means. But it should mean nothing in this context is wrong, not to mention the large proportion of this type of lever that was positioned perpendicular to the track, or the way all the other designs of point lever might be orientated.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The future arrived at Chuffnell Regis this morning.  Like many of you, I suspect, I'd had my eye on the Heljan diesel railcar - but the price with sound fitted is a rather eye-watering £300!  So when I spotted this sound-fitted Hornby example for well under half of that, I'm afraid I couldn't resist.

It was advertised as having had the bogies weathered on one side (why not both I wonder?) and with one of the buffers missing.  So I ordered a set of spare buffer heads with it; they're a tad smaller, but I don't think anyone will mind too much if I replace all four.

Obviously it needs some work.  Somehow the person who weathered it also managed to get some fingerprints onto the lower panels on one side (at least I could find out who did it, I suppose) but I think I'll be able to put that right, and I'll tone down the paintwork on the bogies.  Some of the wiring is visible through the windows, so I'll pop the body off and see if I can re-route it.  If not then I think I'll just colour it black with a marker pen, which should make it much less conspicuous.  There are also some passengers and crew inside, so I may repaint those, or replace them with some Modelu ones that I have.

Also on the jobs list will be to add some vac pipes to one buffer, I already have some of those, and get some screw links.  The only other thing with it is that the sound chip is LOUD!  So I'll have to take a look at the CV and see if I can turn the volume down a touch.

I wasn't expecting perfection for what I paid for it, and I'm sure the Heljan version is a much nicer model, but I must confess I'm quite pleased with it.

image.png.a726693bd83051095add6f3f03fbe50c.png

image.png.f3e8a98937f73a1420266343710de2ce.png

image.png.7063b84ed1020588e5bf30f4f48d4af1.png

image.png.626d6ce16ed1ccdc5122523229064b0a.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8

I'll be keeping a watch on progress with the railcar, I have one of the original Lima versions, which IIRC is what Hornby improved upon. It's hardly ever been used and would benefit from a little weathering and detailing. I also have the Dapol flying banana which Miss R bought me for quitting smoking after about thirty years. I should probably have been the one buying her a thank you present! 

I think it fortunate that the weathering only extended to two bogie frames, the colour looks more appropriate to a cement wagon.

I usually paint underframes with matt black that has had a little humbrol 29 dark earth and 63 leather mixed in. It takes the new black paint look away.

• Like 3

I tend to forget about the little dodges because I can nip downstairs and get a tiny drop of petrol out of one of our bikes. That, used very carefully, shifts most things. I wouldn't recommend it though, except very much at your own risk!

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I tend to forget about the little dodges because I can nip downstairs and get a tiny drop of petrol out of one of our bikes. That, used very carefully, shifts most things. I wouldn't recommend it though, except very much at your own risk!

I'll just put my fag to one side first...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's close enough to petrol! Can you get that from a chemist?

You've got me wanting to dig out the old Lima railcar and service the innards.

Not sure where you can get it in the UK I'm afraid Rob - I'm in Austria (where everything seems to be hard to find).  I'm sure an answer will be along soon though!

• Like 1