Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The early photo shows both the dock and the empty cattle truck as whitewashed. This practice had ended by 1930. Possibly @Bluemonkey presents.... would know exactly when that happened.

I believe the Lime wash practice was outlawed during 1923 so certainly by 1930s the wash would have been washed away, overpainted or removed completely. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I like the animal feed store made from a boarded up brake coach body by the goods shed. I've already got an old four wheeler lined up as a temporary goods shed extension for my layout.

These books are full of lovely little scenes and details that are just crying out to be included in a layout.  I can see the attraction of modelling a real location, but think it would be too restrictive in most cases - and I certainly don't have the space.

Unless, of course, CR Mk Ii is built in the living room...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I believe the Lime wash practice was outlawed during 1923 so certainly by 1930s the wash would have been washed away, overpainted or removed completely. 

Thank you, that's useful to know.  One less layer of weathering needed too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When I started work on the cattle dock I thought to myself, this is a plastic kit, it'll be a doddle.  I'll have this done in next to no time and then I can start doing the scenery in that corner.

Hmm.  Best laid plans and all that.  I've now got the easier parts of the railings fitted, and the sleeper-built buffer stop.  Next will be to cut and add all the short pieces of railing, and then paint it all.  And there's still the gates, and troughs, and so on.

I'm wondering what colour to paint the concrete posts and the rails...

image.png.e94c45443a0f844291eeb8572fdcff7d.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Today I have mostly been fiddling around with small pieces of b@st@rd wire...

So it's all in place now.  Not perfectly square (far from it in places) but there's a limit to my sanity!  And I'm sure the soon to come lick of paint will hide a multitude of sins.  Let's hope so anyway.  Ratio suggest drilling .5mm holes for the wire where required, but I found that opening those out to .6mm made life a bit easier.

Next step is to paint and weather all the railings, then add the gates and troughs.  After that I'm looking forward to fitting this in position and starting to build some scenery around it!

image.png.706ae3287ee20111cb45a6b16cdcc853.png

image.png.6aab3e964e8ff7bcdac87227b9c7ce76.png

Edited by Graham T
Worms were mixed up
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

That's looking great Graham, really good.

For concrete colour, I have previously used the Tamiya XF-55 as a base, then gone over it with a dark green wash, I think I used Humbrol Black Green Matt #91, to dirty it up and make it look used.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That looks absolutely great, it all looks neat and squarely built in the photos.

It would seem that I have run out of excuses for not getting my cattle dock finished! 

Not as square as it looks Rob!  And has taken much longer to build than I expected, but there's no big rush.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Never mind the small pieces of b#st#rd wire, what's the deal with the square location pegs on the concrete posts fitting into round holes?

Or rather, not fitting.

I feel a modification / bodge coming on....

I just filed each corner of the pegs, it didn't actually take very long.  Just wait until you get to fitting the gates though!  I'm just taking a short break after cutting out four hinges for each gate; my dock has eight gates...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I found the best way to handle it was to treat it like a production line.  Cut all the gates, clean up as required with a needle file, group into pairs.  Repeat for the hinges.  Glue together.  Have a cup of tea (very important step this one!)

Repeat ad nauseam...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I decided to paint the gates in dark stone - what could be more GW?!  With dark grey hinges.  They still need some weathering, and as I was installing them I spotted a few areas where the stone paint needs a touch-up as well.  I've also weathered the posts and railings with some dry brushed tan paint, but it doesn't show well in the photo for some reason.  I'll add a wash of mixed dirty black and rust to the railings themselves.

So, getting there slowly!

image.png.3a924d3bc428317a7b883d4dd7c90045.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The rails, posts, and gates have now had a thin wash of rust.  I'm not sure if I should weather the gates a little more, or leave them be?

Still have to add the troughs and the standpipe, but the end is finally in sight!

image.png.c93e805356ff2afde54d37f6b358c9c3.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thank you :)  Leave the gates alone now, do you think?

Forgive my not knowing, but are they meant to be metal or wood?

If metal, you could run a soft pencil across bits of them where they are likely to be rubbed, which will give them a more metallic look, if wood then they would benefit from the dark green wash we discussed, which would give them that slightly mildewed look that old wood has.

ongoing-cattle-pens016.jpg.4f12e96ff11c1c187acbabe2b5431e46.jpg

Al.

• Like 1