Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have returned :)

Taking the bull by the horns, I decided to have a little play with the static grass applicator this afternoon.  This is a bit of experimentation on the riverbank (which might yet get re-modelled anyway).  A first pass with 2mm grass onto hairspray.  I'll see how that settles down and then add some longer fibres on top.  I need to give quite a lot of thought to the riverbank yet in any case, as there will need to be areas of really quite long grass, some bushes and reeds, and so on.  I'd like to add some willow trees too, but I think I will only put those in on the far side of the bridge, otherwise the front might look too crowded.

image.png.28386db37c9e62a1675cb46dbeb559a8.png

image.png.580946101f385c572ecdd23e67f0482c.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Is all your track behaving itself now?

Shhhh!  Probably best not to ask.  Everything was hunky dory when I went away a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't actually run anything since I got back.  Perhaps I'll do a bit of "testing" later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The results of this evening's messing about.  As you say @MrWolf, this can get addictive!  I need to experiment with doing smaller areas as well now, and also see how things look with some longer patches dotted around the place; it looks a bit uniform right now.

image.png.0795393423af69eea040b4602809b019.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, Graham T said:

The results of this evening's messing about.  As you say @MrWolf, this can get addictive!  I need to experiment with doing smaller areas as well now, and also see how things look with some longer patches dotted around the place; it looks a bit uniform right now.

IMG20211107212207.jpg.822ee8b49fa1f320712bd32de7d820d9.jpg

There are some excellent videos on the World War Scenics website showing how to achieve layering effects with static grass.  Yes totally addictive.  With one of my recent experiments I sprayed some layering glue on the static grass and then sprinkled patches of Woodland Scenics  coarse turf and fine turf, to add a bit of variety.       

• RMweb Gold

I've had very little time to play with Chuffnell R since I got back from my trip, but did manage an hour or so yesterday.  I've added some Woodland Scenics blended turf and grass tufts, and also some chinchilla dust in places on the river bank.  Loads more needs to be added of course, including the railway boundary fence.  I also think that I should get the scenery in the back corner of the layout done reasonably soon, as it will become harder to access as I make progress (!)

I'd appreciate any bright ideas on what to put in that corner :)

image.png.7aedc61c1413150563065010080b27fd.png 

image.png.f97264f5ac1065361d4fb70db1a6b71e.png 

You may have also spotted my new toy, courtesy of Hornby.  A bit grand for a sleepy Herefordshire branch line, but I couldn't resist - so, Rule 1!

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A bit grand for a sleepy Herefordshire branch line, but I couldn't resist - so, Rule 1!

Couldn't agree more. I've pretty much decided that my next layout. Bovey Quay will be completely freelance and pure fiction.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gedward said:

Couldn't agree more. I've pretty much decided that my next layout. Bovey Quay will be completely freelance and pure fiction.

Nice to hear from you.  And you've reminded me to take another look at Bovey Tor for landscaping tips.  Hope plans are going well for the move out to the wild west.

• RMweb Premium

Bovey Tor is up for sale. And I'm busy planning the next one. It will be in O-MF, so that should be interesting. But as things stand, until I find a suitable property, not sure how much space we're looking at. So will use this time to build stand alone items. Starting with a Stern trawler for the harbour.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

First criteria for the new house will be finding a suitably large room for O gauge then!  A stern trawler will be a fair size in that scale, I'd imagine.  And rolling stock will be like the dead budgie - not going cheap  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

And rolling stock will be like the dead budgie - not going cheap  :jester:

First criteria is always the man cave. And now that there's only myself to consider, well that conversation is going really well I might add. :D

Cost wise you're not wrong G. And if we were to add sound.... ouch!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A stern trawler will be a fair size in that scale, I'd imagine.

45' stern trawler at 1:24 scale, model size 560mm by 200mm beam. But a fair bit smaller in O. So a baby in terms of trawlers. But the plan is to model a bunch of various vessels grounded in the harbour at low tide.  All based on early childhood memories of Brixham harbour in the 60's.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gedward said:

45' stern trawler at 1:24 scale, model size 560mm by 200mm beam. But a fair bit smaller in O. So a baby in terms of trawlers. But the plan is to model a bunch of various vessels grounded in the harbour at low tide.  All based on early childhood memories of Brixham harbour in the 60's.

I have similar memories, and although I'm from Plymouth, my memories are from Hoo, on the Isle of Grain and half sunken ships along the Medway, they were our playground in the late 50's

e1f478050aef7713873156ff0ec26284.jpg.bcb52ce9e23f2115d7f081013fdf9070.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I have similar memories, and although I'm from Plymouth, my memories are from Hoo, on the Isle of Grain and half sunken ships along the Medway, they were our playground in the late 50's

e1f478050aef7713873156ff0ec26284.jpg.bcb52ce9e23f2115d7f081013fdf9070.jpg

What a great shot, love it. Family in Paignton and Babbacombe was the reason we spent every summer in Devon. So it was a toss up between Paddington station where we lived or Brixham. :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Gedward said:

What a great shot, love it. Family in Paignton and Babbacombe was the reason we spent every summer in Devon. So it was a toss up between Paddington station where we lived or Brixham. :D

That reminds me of paintings by one of my favourite British artists, Roy Connelly.  Do you know his work George?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Nick C said:

How much space have you got? Room for something like an old mill next to the river? Or just a nice simple farm?

The space in the corner is a triangle, about 2 feet along the rear edge of the layout, and three feet along the end wall leading up to the tunnel mouth, with the river forming the other side of it.  I'm toying with the idea of making a model of the semi-detached cottage that my grandparents lived in at Canon Pyon, but am not quite sure how to orientate it / make it fit into the landscape.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1