Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Here's the latest state of play with the weighbridge office.  I haven't exactly decided where I'm going to put it yet, but in any case I need to finish building the thing first!  I wasn't happy with my first attempt at the roof tiles, so I ripped them off and had another go.  I still need to add flashing around the chimney, gutters and downpipes, and a doorknob.  And perhaps a dab of paint here and there...

image.png.50755105055359402fa05ed7bb0e8abb.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Al.  They're from Railmodel, and do look good once you get the spacing right.

I remember reading an article by Allan Downes when I was a kid, where he applied individual tiles, from computer punched cards if I remember rightly.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Al.  They're from Railmodel, and do look good once you get the spacing right.

I remember reading an article by Allan Downes when I was a kid, where he applied individual tiles, from computer punched cards if I remember rightly.

Yeah, I use paper "chads" for roof tiles as well.

ladmanlow1434.jpg.f116a9b41f6c26f57e631be2b429e4b7.jpg

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it's almost done now.  A little bit of filler is needed here and there, and of course paint.  The kit builds up into a pleasantly solid little structure.  Please let me know if you can see any howlers that I've missed!

image.png.00739037d87a6612625627ec00fa5e0e.png 

image.png.af8e8c2522d81f378828b7821ce6f4c0.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I think it's almost done now.  A little bit of filler is needed here and there, and of course paint.  The kit builds up into a pleasantly solid little structure.  Please let me know if you can see any howlers that I've missed!

IMG20211128151226.jpg.bf440fded28a215183538f99b9d12dd4.jpg

IMG20211128151255_BURST000_COVER.jpg.7c08be1cda761e25f32fb1e91e49c150.jpg

Good job, it is a nice kit - here is my effort on my old layout.  I omitted the base as I already had the weighbridge in situ  

IMG_4482.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure where to put the coal office on the layout, and would really like some opinions please!  I'm planning to have the weighbridge on the approach road to the goods yard, as you can see (except that I'll set it into the bank!)  But would the coal office look better next to the weighbridge, or in the goods yard itself next to the coal staithes?  The latter would seem to make (a bit) more sense, but having the two offices next to each other would free up more space in the yard.  I hate having to make decisions :(

image.png.3d50ab92396412ef34a86e1b7009b057.png

image.png.4b8e08d291812815ee4fc4eabdf169c6.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gopher said:

Good job, it is a nice kit - here is my effort on my old layout.  I omitted the base as I already had the weighbridge in situ  

IMG_4482.JPG

Bit of a bump up onto the weighbridge there - I pity poor Dobbin with the coal cart. 

12 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm not sure where to put the coal office on the layout, and would really like some opinions please!  I'm planning to have the weighbridge on the approach road to the goods yard, as you can see (except that I'll set it into the bank!)  But would the coal office look better next to the weighbridge, or in the goods yard itself next to the coal staithes?  The latter would seem to make (a bit) more sense, but having the two offices next to each other would free up more space in the yard.  I hate having to make decisions :(

Is the coal office a railway-company-built structure or a hut built by a coal merchant, present on grace-and-favour terms?

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Is the coal office a railway-company-built structure or a hut built by a coal merchant, present on grace-and-favour terms?

The latter, I'd have thought (not positive mind you!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's the option I'm leaning towards as well.  I'd have to arrange everything carefully to avoid it looking cramped though, as I also want to get a crane in there.

In which case, could the office go at the other end of the staithes?

Or instead of a yard crane, only have one inside the goods shed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Bit of a bump up onto the weighbridge there - I pity poor Dobbin with the coal cart. 

Yeh - I think the photo  exaggerated the bump.  It was actually reasonably well inset into the stone sets.  Luckily only mechanical dobbins used it   

IMG_4211.JPG

• Like 1