Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Having just got back from a fun visit to the dentist (I mean, what other kind is there?) I decided to treat myself to an hour of pottering about with Chuffnell R before going back to work.  I've been busily slapping Das around, and have added the base for the cess, as well as bedding in the rock faces.  I also added a skim of filler to the ground cover on the top of those, and put in a crossing point where the railwaymen's footpath crosses the track (using the infamous coffee stirrers, of course).

image.png.f99e3f0dd73084a92da70cdce194b497.png 

image.png.5c83b3ad9a58a4c7989a3c6af858c44f.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks very much Gopher :)  (Don't think I know your actual name, sorry).  I like the backscene too, I'm also not sure of the exact location but it certainly reminds me of home.  

I will be painting the rock faces, yes.  I'm hoping to try for something like the photo below, albeit on a much reduced scale!  And my scene won't be tidal, obviously.  That's a pic of the lower reaches of the River Wye.

1394782549_Screenshot2022-01-18at09_54_07.png.48dcd90c037c12ec0e1018b408757ac0.png

Yes sorry Graham - the man with no name, actually it is Clive  - Gopher is a nick name from school

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I also added a skim of filler to the ground cover on the top of those, and put in a crossing point where the railwaymen's footpath crosses the track (using the infamous coffee stirrers, of course).

Well done with this scene Graham, as it's really taking shape and good to see you using coffee stirring sticks. I'm a big fan of this very adaptable resource and find myself using them for all sorts of modelling. They were particularly useful with my goods shed bash, oh and on the station building and not forgetting the engine shed!

Onwards and upwards,

Bill

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Okay, that's enough for today I think.  Another shot of the favourite view, this time even with a train on the bridge!  (No buses here I'm afraid @MrWolf).

IMG20220118221941.jpg.484e4c542a56adff4e300a5b7a58a5d7.jpg

I know you're only joking, as you have become one of the happy little band of railway modellers on whose layouts the presence of buses on bridges is.... How can I put it?

Verboten.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I know you're only joking, as you have become one of the happy little band of railway modellers on whose layouts the presence of buses on bridges is.... How can I put it?

Verboten.

Fortunately I don't have any road bridges, or plans for them.  Or buses, for that matter...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Graham T said:

Nice to meet you Clive.  My school nickname was Trotsky (after Citizen Smith).  I have a few others too!

and you Graham - hope you do not have any axes lying around :D.  I have been called a few names over the years - some were even complimentary.  

15 hours ago, Gopher said:

Yes sorry Graham - the man with no name, actually it is Clive  - Gopher is a nick name from school

15 hours ago, Graham T said:

Nice to meet you Clive.  My school nickname was Trotsky (after Citizen Smith).  I have a few others too!

You Guys are lucky, my nickname on here is BODGIT, :o  :laugh:  after my antics with PVA and a Hot Glue Gun.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Gopher said:

and you Graham - hope you do not have any axes lying around :D.  I have been called a few names over the years - some were even complimentary.  

I'm not really to be trusted with sharp instruments, if I'm honest :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

And a bit more paint splashed onto the rocks.  Once this has dried I'll use a fine brush to pick out some of the fissures with greens and darker greys, I think.

image.png.4d09020abad9863542a2390db8599c84.png

image.png.4af2468831f6f0270f9832523b29dea4.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

I've now tidied up the ballast and grass on either side of the cess, although it will probably still need a second going over before I'm entirely happy with it.  Not sure about the buddleia next to the bridge - any opinions out there please?  (It's not fixed in place yet).

image.png.b03b1a94ecc1eac63e4e0a6c2fcbe24e.png

image.png.af23d8b9b26728036bf765ce65c962cc.png 

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

That's enough for today, getting a bit tired!  (Old age I suppose...)  Also, it seems for every job I get done with the scenery, another three or four spring to mind!

Any thoughts on that pesky buddleia chaps?

image.png.0c194fbbd55e3e3f3c192b314c8db961.png

image.png.77fa34e92115533d0208def04e08b39f.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7

Well the foot crossing has reminded me of a couple of jobs I need to do, including foot crossings!

As for the buddleia, it depends on the period modelled. If it's outside of railway property then yes. If it's inside the railway fence on a prewar layout (and the fence would run along the bottom of the embankment) I'd move it outside. It wouldn't have been allowed to thrive anywhere except a light railway perhaps. They're rather invasive and destructive to brickwork. I recall parts of a culvert wall south of Rothley having to be dismantled and rebuilt to remove tree roots before the track could be relaid.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

As a general rule of thumb, the fence follows the land occupied by the railway in its entirety. So a boundary fence with run along the top of a cutting and the bottom of an embankment. In your case, the most likely path for the fence to take is along the bottom of the bank, following the contours of the natural land to the pillar at the end of the wing wall before running up following the line of the wing wall to the main pillar of the abutment beside the track. 

Where you have the tunnel, the fence will run along the top of the cutting and over the top of the tunnel mouth, probably about ten feet above it and join up with the fence on the opposite side of the cutting.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.  That's exactly what I have in mind for the cutting, but wasn't so sure about the fence line on the other side of the river bridge (on the station side).  I'll have to give that some more thought.

• RMweb Gold

I know I said I wasn't going to do any more today, but...

Blame the static grass applicator.  Crack cocaine for railway modellers :)

I think I'll probably lighten the colour of the foot crossing.  That and about a million and one other things!

image.png.1594a7aee4bb47520a697e5a93f3fa0b.png

image.png.a01478d9035a32079ecc0370d4cad8a4.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

My gut feeling is that I might need to make the cess a bit more grey-looking, not a match for the ballast colour but closer to it.  Does anyone else have a suggestion one way or the other please?

• Like 1