Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.  I had another (!) brainwave for that.  Used a sheet of clear styrene as the base, then glued on a sheet of light stone paper.  Then printed dark stone onto an adhesive label, and cut strips of that for the door framing.  Finished off with white adhesive paper strips around the outside, then sandwiched the whole thing between the wall layers.  Came out ok I think, just need to figure out a doorknob now.  Oh, and build the remaining walls, roof, and vents!

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Oh, and build the remaining walls, roof, and vents!

So nearly there then. :)

I haven't added door knobs yet. Thinking of using track pins reduced on a lathe or electric drill.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And here's the latest state of play from Chuffnell Regis.  The end walls are now being bodged fixed into place.  The gap will get covered by a downpipe, hopefully...

IMG20210521101109.jpg.e569cc39a2d4ea77df269ac511eca92f.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I've now got all the walls fixed on.  It looks quite different from the Scalescenes shed that it started life as.  Feeling a little more confident about tackling a scratch built station building now ...

IMG20210521142358.jpg.c6ef77af1b6fd224770ebb436c797134.jpg

image.png.821bcbedd84c15a0680d7ee8908ef7be.png

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

And now I finally have some goods stock.  Two from Hornby and one from Bachmann, lovely little models right out of the box.  But I will give them some weathering, and also change the couplings.  As for when that might actually happen, who knows!

IMG20210521160423.jpg.79a081e83e0761262675eabb63169554.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's been a productive day down at the Chuffnell Regis engine shed.  The final wall has gone up, and bargeboards have been added.  They are supposed to be dark stone...

Next will be the vents, then the roof goes on!  Must order some guttering too.

IMG20210522182852.jpg.47bfe8eb8f639feaa4e3d362a0e9cafe.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The boss and I like to take our time over meals and have some interesting conversations.  This morning's took a slightly odd turn, and ended with us wondering how much a human head weighs.  Time to hide all the knives?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Earlier fears of knife-wielding, swivel-eyed loons marauding around Chuffnell Regis proved to be unfounded, and so I was able to do a little more pottering with the engine shed.  I built up a chimney for the office/crew room area, and also added the roof trusses.  I'm not looking forward to doing the vents, so may avoid that for now by making the smaller roof for this end of the building.

IMG20210523144527.jpg.dcdbd25e17aa474773f9c0594cf47aeb.jpg

IMG20210523144510.jpg.1e8d3ee9d4ad34f90375b34f2d2bd891.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

In breaks from writing about the Dayton Peace Agreement (best not to ask) I've been working on the vents for the engine shed.  I thought that the chances of me being able to mount four separate vents on the roof, and have them all turn out square, were somewhere between incredibly faint and zero, so I have opted to build them all as one unit.  Here's how they look so far, just placed in position.

IMG20210524195535.jpg.29a23b79cfd4da2463320a1528f459f7.jpg

• Like 4

On 23/05/2021 at 08:47, Graham T said:

The boss and I like to take our time over meals and have some interesting conversations.  This morning's took a slightly odd turn, and ended with us wondering how much a human head weighs.  Time to hide all the knives?

We had a similar conversation.

About 11 pounds...

030007a7.jpg.b990d28767fea695a3fa376fa48763a5.jpg

• Like 3

In other news, I do regret being unable to put an engine shed on my layout. That one is really coming along now, look forward to seeing it on the layout, I have a similar problem to you on that front!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.  I'm enjoying building it, and it's getting close to being finished now.  But I keep seeing things that I've bodged or just completely f***ed up and have an urge to re-do the whole thing...

Waiting for some Ratio guttering and Modelu brackets to arrive from the UK now.

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2021 at 08:47, Graham T said:

how much a human head weighs.

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

About 11 pounds...

Or 5 bags of sugar.

Heavy things, human heads. You begin to understand

a/ why the neck muscles are so powerful and

b/ why you get whiplash injuries

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I think the flashing looks a bit bright?

I think it looks OK, just a bit of staining and weathering later when the rest is finished. Don't forget that lead oxidises white so older flashing will look surprisingly light coloured.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1