Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks very much Al.  Stand by for clouds of smoke rising over Vienna!

So I guess the air will be blue along with the river.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The postman delivered a new addition to the stable this morning :)   Courtesy of a well known auction site.

IMG20210531135000.jpg.6898ca4f80858fa000c8afa41e4cfd7d.jpg

I should probably do some work on getting the track laid.  And the foreground scenery would benefit from a bit of attention too...

Still no sign of a B set!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A bit more messing about with ballast was done today.  I'm certainly not looking forward to having to do this on the layout itself.  Fortunately I have all the track laying and point rodding to do first!

I've used the fine grey ballast again, but will use light grey on the layout itself.  I tried misting the dry ballast with water once it was all in place, but even using the sprayer as gently as I could it still disturbed some before I got the PVA dripped in with a pipette.  Good practice though, and it shows up the difference between bog standard 16.5mm track and the code 75 bullhead rail.  I think next time I might use some masking tape along the edges of the ballast too.  I should have painted the track before adding the ballast as well...

IMG20210531170455.jpg.ccf18dee8ce958b0880b09df74a87af4.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Slightly nervous times here in Chuffnell Regis this morning, as the first section of track has just been glued down.  Holes drilled for PL-1000 point motor, droppers attached...

Now to wait for the PVA to dry, and see if it actually stays where I want it to be.  Yes, I have kept the glue well away from the tie-bar on the point!

image.png.3f196d3f1d437ec4627b08ea25394681.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Too late for this point (sorry): something I have found very useful are DCC Concepts Cobalt Tiebar Labels.  Will help stop the ballast falling down into your PL1000 and jamming the operation.  Would also stop glue getting onto the tiebar.

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

So, here are the results of yesterday's labours.  The PW department seem to have redeemed themselves, although they've been warned that they need to improve their soldering skills.  The baseboard planners have, I'm afraid, been taken outside and shot.  Despite my careful planning, reality intervened when I started laying track, and so of course it hasn't gone down on the boards exactly where I thought it was going to be - resulting in some of the point motor locations sitting right on top of cross braces.  Much scratching of heads is now going on while I try to figure that out.

The brick built bridge you see in this photo will be getting removed; it was to carry the famous disappearing branch line, but unfortunately I've had to accept that I just couldn't make that work with the topography.  Never mind, more space for scenery!

image.png.bb9232e087ca3d6e0be4bae1d710c39a.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

Hi @Graham T, noting Rule 1 applies to bridges as well as trains, just a suggestion : looking back at your plan on April 29th, the road on the LH  side only serves the station as a dead end. Could you convert the bridge to a road that perhaps then turns to run parallel to the river and passes under the railway ? 

Have read through all your excellent layout topic and will continue to follow progress with interest.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a nice idea John, thanks.  I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do with that corner.  I think I've got a little bit of time before I need to make my mind up though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure lots of you already do this, but I thought I would document the method I'm using to cut the cork sheet that I'm using for ballast.

Firstly I join the track elements, place them on the baseboards, and then use a permanent marker to add a line 4mm out from the ends of the sleepers.

Next I remove the track, then place a sheet of baking paper on the baseboard and trace the pen lines.

I tape the baking paper onto the cork sheet and then just cut it to size with scissors.  Seems to work well (so far).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm still making slow but steady progress on the track laying.  I thought I had quite a lot of rolling stock, until I moved it all out of the way to the back of the baseboard - it looks a bit lonely now!  But I dare say the numbers will grow...

image.png.dfe2f6110ec647ab02020fdb1abe7ac2.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

You might have spotted that I've even got a copy of the plan there with me.  Not that I take any notice of it, obviously...

I make sure the plan is visible on photos to make it look professional and to con others into thinking that I know what I'm doing

Edited by chuffinghell
poor smelling and grandma
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It would take more than a visible plan to fool anyone into thinking I know what I'm doing!

Well you fooled me then because it looks to me like you know what you're doing :good:

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Well you fooled me then because it looks to me like you know what you're doing :good:

Kind of you to say so Chris, but I'm mostly making it up as I go along.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Kind of you to say so Chris, but I'm mostly making it up as I go along.

That's pretty much what we all do mate, there's nobody (apart from Pendon) who teaches this stuff.

If you look back at early pages of my Bakewell thread, you will see just how awful I was. You are already doing better than that by some degree!

Al.