Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I also need to figure out which of my locos I can convert to DCC.  As is normal with me, I had a huge burst of enthusiasm when I started the layout and scooped up a few locos from a well-known auction site.  Before I had given any thought whatsoever to how I was actually going to control everything...

I have kept things simple in that department due to the number of antiquated locomotives that I have.

Just like DCC, there's just two wires.

Two wires which feed into a connector block originally destined for the space shuttle. 

Don't tell too many people, USDOD are probably still looking for it....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Don't tell too many people, USDOD are probably still looking for it....

I don't suppose there are too many of them on this forum, but you never know ...

:scared:

• Funny 1

I have had some experience of this, as in "Don't worry about the oil dripping, worry when it stops, because it's about to seize up."

Always a comforting thing to know, along with, such gems as - beneath your feet is 1.2mm of dural sheet, followed by three miles of #### all...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

None of these things are sensible or recommended. It was sixty feet, the Rupert was lucky to survive.

One of my friends got a medical discharge after landing on his radio pack during an exercise. 

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, enough already about fractures and oil leaks.  Here's a pic of a less crowded Chuffnell Regis, perhaps a little more prototypical.

image.png.6c75abd99220be973a369dab466fb433.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Anyway, enough already about fractures and oil leaks.  Here's a pic of a less crowded Chuffnell Regis, perhaps a little more prototypical.

IMG20210713150725.jpg.c8f57b0d27803e533a7dfc96a1c4afcb.jpg

I really like the way that the formation sweeps in, it gives a real sense of space.

Oddly enough I have recently been reading Lambourn and wondering if I can adapt the track plan for some future project.

Of course, it is probably a good idea to finish my current layout first!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been painting some of the track this morning (carefully avoiding the switch rails), and so am now thinking about point rodding, and signalling, before I can get to grips with ballasting.

These are subjects about which I know next to nothing, so I'm hoping that some of you might be able to steer me in the right direction.  Here's a schematic of Chuffnell Regis, followed by a list of dumb questions.

999598086_Screenshot2021-07-14at13_12_11.png.a998d749ea7ba4611940348058477bfe.png

Chuffnell Regis is (very) loosely based on Lambourn, and from photos I see that the run-round loop had two ground signals and ground levers controlling the points.  The point nearest to the platform was controlled from the signal box.  On the schematic the blue lines indicate point rodding runs.  Here come the questions...

1.  Would points 1 and 2 also be controlled from the signal box, or with ground levers?  If by ground levers, would there be ground signals too?  Where would those be?

2.  The signal I have at the end of the platform (starter I believe); would it also have a bracket to control departures from the bay platform?

3.  Similarly, the yellow (distant?) signal; I understand that this controls access into the station, but would it also have a second arm/bracket indicating if the track was set to take the train into the bay platform?

4.  I'm assuming (!!!) that all the points in the goods yard (i.e. beyond the red X), would be controlled by ground levers.  Is that correct?  Would they have ground signals too?  I'm guessing not, but really have no idea.

5.  Any recommendations for ground levers?

Sorry about all the questions  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Yes, that's something I'm really not looking forward to.  Tried a little stretch this afternoon - took me about an hour to do around one foot of track!

Same, dreading it also. But I'm nearly at that stage now as I've put it off long enough. All I've done to date is a small test strip too.