Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

This is the FPL rodding fixed in place.  Wills provide another part of the mechanism that should sit at the left hand end of the pushrod between the sleepers, but as you can see there is already a load of "gubbins" there courtesy of Peco.  I don't know what that is, and didn't want to risk butchering the point to remove it.  Anyway, it will get covered with the deflector ramp, as you can see.  I any leave the ramp off until I've fitted the point motor though, so that I can still access the hole in the tie rod for the drive pin (hopefully that makes some sort of sense...)

image.png.11d3a92c744744e0157fd67e595ae137.png

image.png.3ccdf1fa2fb24905f911794f20606698.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And here's what I need to connect next, to the toe end of the point and to the FPL mechanism.  The moment of truth is approaching...

image.png.6e079effdc3a47d127c07e81952b4098.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Very neat work, if the weather wasn't so nice I would have the urge to open the box of Wills'parts that I have.

(My excuse is also that I need to weather the track some more - lame!!)

Have some Task Appropriate Profanity to hand at all times. ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

One positive thing to be said about installing point rodding, is that it makes ballasting almost seem like fun.  To have a little break from frazzling my nerves I did this little section in the goods yard.  I appreciate that yards weren't usually ballasted, but I'm planning to use Chris Nevard's technique, which calls for ballasting almost up to the sleeper tops, and then applying Das (which I'll be doing later; probably much later!)

It's been good practice for ballasting the other areas as well though, and looks quite nice I think :)

image.png.732a820896bebb0e0377e2e79c02586d.png 

I can see a few stray chips that I need to tidy up.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Here's the first section actually fitted in place!  Minus the deflector ramp of course.  Next step is to fit the compensators into the next run, more to follow on that in a moment ....

I also need to fit the signal pulley posts before I can ballast this section, and the rodding running from this point to the two trap points.  Methinks this might be a rather long job!

image.png.9c1bde04d052037091bace7311fdbb1d.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

And here's how I'm planning to fit the compensators into the run.  Does this look vaguely right, or have I made a complete hash of it?

image.png.e81f0d73d288e0af9e569c19dbf0af8c.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The ground discs with some paint sploshed on them, in all the cruelty of a close-up.  They'll be weathered a touch before they get installed on the layout.  I find it hard to believe that some people make working versions of these.  And I shudder when I think about those brave souls who make working 4mm point rodding!

IMG20210718165539.jpg.0ffe88f2635ef53c7da3f768d0d08f98.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Graham T said:

I find it hard to believe that some people make working versions of these.

Um, guilty...

Very fiddly, and frustrating, but the end result was very satisfying:

ground-dod2-026.jpg.dd5c69039b4fdf5ceb556096e8fc6770.jpg

Al.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

My girls arrived for a visit late last night, the first time I've seen them for a year.  They're 8 and 10.  This morning they found Chuffnell Regis, and loved it:  "It's so cool!"  Had lots of questions, and enjoyed driving some trains.  They want to help out with the building too (but I don't think I'll get them involved with the point rodding, that might put them off for life!)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

The ground discs have been dry brushed with a little red-brown and mid-grey, and then fixed on the layout.  I'm holding off on adding more cable wheels until I see if I can get hold of some 3D printed ones (as seen on Warren Branch).  The knobs on the end of the point tie rods will be removed once I've fitted point motors.  I fully expect that to be a bit of a learning curve as well!

image.png.46725478b27537497cdcb6753f08c0d8.png 

image.png.cdb92fcf51cdd7709d74ce5a623ebb91.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

Is it just me or is it getting a bit Stanley Unwin around here? 

That aside, the track is looking really good, I think that I ought to get some greys and browns over the uniform track colour on my layout before much longer.

• Thanks 1