Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

It's a beautiful part of the world.  I was racking my brains as to how to work the "disappearing branch line" trick, and then I thought of all the escarpments along the Wye Valley.  Better yet, a branch line used to run along the valley in real life.  So, here is the final, final, final, plan (for now).  Red contour lines, blue stream running from back of scene to the front, with a smaller stream feeding into it from the right.

image.png.e843188b9fafea1615b9018d54c32b62.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I've started putting the backscene mounting boards in place.  Ply sheets fixed to the wall with Command velcro strips, and a curved sheet of cork to carry around the corner.  I considered trying to bend ply for the corners, but decided that cork sheet would be a lot easier and work just as well.

image.png.3f054b7332c400cebef6064a31b53604.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

it's been a busy few days at Chuffnell Regis.  The mounts for the backscene are now complete, and I've been playing around with some mock-up scenery, to see if I can make the "disappearing branch line" (TM) actually work.  I think I might be able to get away with it - just - if I use some strategically placed trees as view blockers.  Another approach would be to have the train go off into a tunnel (there's a prototype for this on the Wye Valley branch, just south of Tintern station); but I'm not keen on using a tunnel there because access would be difficult in the event of e.g. a derailment.  I'd need to cut an access space through the bottom of the baseboard.  It could be done, but I'm not overly keen.  That being said, it would look better ... 

Anyway, here's how the mock-up looks.  I'd really appreciate any opinions and constructive criticism please!

image.png.1874197f7882672bd7917e58d874b7d7.png 

image.png.e9f4a18ad1b6a5e7d4ce410908e240e2.png

image.png.9eb7d3fd2e431bb3379172822be6a459.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6

If it helps, I am taking trains offstage through a shallow cutting that is topped with trees either side. Not finished yet, but it looks more natural than a tunnel, even if there is a prototype for everything. Take a look also at @chuffinghell's Warren Branch, on there, the track goes under a bridge into a deeply wooded cutting. It's impossible to tell that the track disappears through the backscene at this point and turns almost ninety degrees.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I'm already watching the progress of Warren Branch - great stuff there.  Having slept on it, I'm going to stick with the cutting and copious application of trees!  In the photos above, the left-hand track comes to a halt before reaching the wall, so never actually goes through the backscene.  I'd have to knock through into the bathroom for that, and I don't think the landlady would be too keen...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've now put the river bed in place, cut from 2mm ply.  But I'm a bit stuck now, as I'm waiting for backscenes to arrive, and also a pack of Peco bullhead flexitrack.  The plan is to lay out the tracks so I can get an accurate idea of how the curves will flow through the scenic section, then I can cut the elevated levels of ply to carry them across the river and into the hills.  Then I'll do some experimenting with how to position the backscenes, so that I can get the landscape contours to match up with it.

I think at that point I might be ready to start thinking about laying some track (provided that I can get hold of some code 75 points...)  That of course opens up a whole new set of questions though!  Wiring, point motors, and what to lay the tracks onto.  I have some 2mm cork sheet, so am thinking about using that, not sure if it would need two layers though.  I haven't yet decided on what control/power option to go for, and have almost no idea about point motors.  From what I've been able to find out roaming around the forum, Gaugemaster Seep point motors look like they might do the trick.  I must admit that at first I thought I could do without motorised points, as the layout will really be more for looking at than actually operating - but obviously it will need to run, and so I'd have thought that manually switching points is a sure way of destroying various bits of scenery as I reach across the layout...

Anyway, here's how it looks.

image.png.d26c1d25455291dc7c21e8e8213a6b92.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure yet, to be honest.  I'd like to try my hand at scratch-building, but would be starting from scratch (haha).  Maybe a bridge would be a relatively simple project to start with.  Famous last words!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ultimately I would love to build this:

227642248.jpg.a0d9df4236f4ed01af593aa62b9406ca.jpg

It's Rowden Mill in Herefordshire, so would fit in with my plans for the imaginary location.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Ultimately I would love to build this:

image.png.cfd1850d89d22c665cf4f00f0ded93d4.png

It's Rowden Mill in Herefordshire, so would fit in with my plans for the imaginary location.

That's a nice looking station and a good size too.

1 hour ago, Gedward said:

I was thinking the same thing. You would only need to scratch build the shell. The valancing, windows, doors, chimneys, ridges and rainwater goods are all available.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Gedward said:

It's a beautiful building I think.  And as you say, the size is about right I think for what I'm building.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I was thinking the same thing. You would only need to scratch build the shell. The valancing, windows, doors, chimneys, ridges and rainwater goods are all available.

I'm fairly sure I could manage the shell, and then use perhaps Scalescenes papers for the brickwork.  Do you have any recommendations for all the other items though please?  The range of products is nothing like what was around when I was last involved in railway modelling - there's (almost) too much choice ...  And having seen what you've been building for Aston on Clun it seems to me that you know what you're talking about when scratch-building is concerned!

• Like 1

Thanks, I don't post the bloopers or the bits where I ignore a work in progress for a week or two though!

I have been obtaining some of my windows simply by typing "laser cut windows" into eBay. But I have found that www.smartmodels.co.uk work well.

Some very nice 3d printed items available from www.dexterscove also.

Other items I have used or modified come out of the following kits of components which have been around about as long as I have.

Wills SS86 and SS42 windows and doors.

Peco LK78 windows and doors.

Peco LK79 roofing components.

Ratio 538 gutters and downpipes.

Slater's 4A18 GWR station awning.

Hope that's of some use.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting for track to arrive from the UK.  Fedex said it would arrive on Wednesday.  Then on Thursday.  Then Friday.  Now - who knows...

So I've been experimenting with how to make some wet-looking water for the river, when I eventually get to that stage.  I started off by making a box section from scraps of 2mm ply, then added some polyfilla to make up very rough impressions of the river banks.  This was then painted with acrylics, and sealed with PVA.  Then I poured in a fairly thick layer of varnish.  Once that had dried (or quite possibly evaporated!) I added a second layer.  Let's see how it looks tomorrow.

image.png.f0190ec1d858b6e749f21c6ba0887e81.png

image.png.411117ec6d2d6b058d8c06b3ef1681e4.png

image.png.e3f0c145fb11fe5648af9ab639609a57.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It had occurred to me anyway, and then I also read about it in one of Ian Rice's books.  You're absolutely right, lots (and lots) of layers is the recommended technique.

This time round I noticed there are so many  new resins and special products to produce water. They all have their uses, but there's always snags too. Like the water meniscus for example.

• RMweb Gold

Building up the layers in the test river is about as exciting as watching paint dry, and my track still hasn't arrived, although FedEx is now saying tomorrow.  Hmm.  So, I put together what will be the first building for Chuffnell Regis - a lamp hut from Dart Castings.  I gave it a coat of auto primer, after which the roof decided to part company with the rest of the hut.  That was reattached with contact adhesive, as you can see from the close-up!  The offending spillage has since been removed.

image.png.a0acf90e29ad9c44c886cec62c1173f2.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

There was a ripple of excitement, if not quite a wave, at Chuffnell Regis earlier today.  A package of Peco bullhead rail finally arrived!  So I got busy tacking it down to get a feel for whether or not my best-laid plans might actually work.  See what you think...

image.png.30b651bbaf26af51be74de734bf7d155.png 

The lamp hut shows where the end of the platform will be, and the white rectangle is where I'm planning to put the goods shed.  The siding with the Dean Goods on it will be a little longer, to match the cattle dock siding between it and the edge of the baseboard.  I did wonder about moving the bay platform line an inch or so closer to the backscene, to open up the station area a bit.  But I think the spacing of the tracks looks reasonable as it is, and leaving the bay line where I have it now gives more room for fitting in some groundwork before the backscene.

Anyway, as ever any constructive criticism and comment would be really welcome - thanks.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10

I like the way that you have everything laid out, it gives a sense of space. Branch termini are often on the edge of a town and take up as much space as they can.

On the other hand, it doesn't come across as one of those layouts that is all track and ballast with no consideration given to the surroundings which is the raison d'etre for the railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2