Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

That's the interesting, I'll see if I can find some.  Why did you add the PVA?

Soffens it to start with, then makes it more pliable and workable, and also helps it stick and go harder when dry

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I got the first paint down on the Das this morning; it looks better I think.  Next will be to re-lay some ballast along the edge, to soften the join, and then retouch the paint on the point rodding.  I might add a few weeds around the base of the hut too, if I can find something suitable.

I think the cinder ballast has come out more or less ok.  Surprisingly, locos can still run along the headshunt!

image.png.7143f562fa5a3697f3edd77728b3030a.png

I also painted some of the stonework on the cattle dock last night.  Not quite sure about it, does it need some more work, or should I leave it alone now?  Most of it won't be seen anyway of course, as this wall will actually be facing the back of the layout.

image.png.a9848b2db822b62e01fe9db43cd76d26.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

You've made a good start on the cattle dock painting, but if you are trying to replicate this:

chufnel-regis-stone001.jpg.4f5e0d5c548baf8675bd8240a80ec302.jpg

Then I think you need to add some dilute washes of a tan colour over what you have done so far, to pick out the lighter mortar lines, and add a warmer look to the stone.

I would use Humbrol 237 Matt Tan Acrylic (AB0237), but you may not be able to find that, so Tamiya XF-55 or XF-78 would be acceptable alternatives.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's the results of some pottering during my lunch break.  The stonework on the cattle dock has had another wash of Tamiya deck tan.  Closer to how I want it to look, but perhaps another wash is needed yet.  I've given the quarry tile flooring a wash of black, followed by a wash of deck tan.  I might also add an earth wash to the paving slabs and coping stones along the front edge.

image.png.0fc97d29fc3e4c6574dfc71320bbca0e.png

image.png.58717f8b8f690f6dca492cd964a8768e.png 

image.png.3635ec100cbd865d8eebbfd0ed943923.png

I also had time to re-do the ballast along the edge of the earth patch next to the platelayers hut.  It will need weathering as well of course, and I am thinking about adding a few very small clumps of weed around the hut, and perhaps around the buffer stop as well.  None along the headshunt itself though, as I doubt if anything much would have been allowed to grow (or survived) there.

image.png.e4f0ad8651b6c3f038c6175d1a78e429.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think that painting stonework is one of the trickiest parts of model making, the colours that exist on the real thing need to be scaled down to achieve the desired effect.

Absolutely.  I used to do a bit of military model-making, and it's a topic that gets discussed a lot there (scale colour).  If you use the genuine real world colour it rarely looks right.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks very much Chris - it's a pity that most of it will be hidden from view!

I’m pretty sure we are all guilty of putting a lot of time and effort into things you can’t see…..I know I am

but if a jobs worth doing it’s worth doing well :)

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Not exactly a silk purse from a sow's ear, but it's neat what you can do with a bit of crafty cropping :)

image.png.21620e522545629219211ac0d974bccb.png

Weeds courtesy of Woodland Scenics foliage clusters.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

A great heap of cattle dock concrete fence posts, for example.  Which look suspiciously like they have square pegs on the bottom end - to locate into the proverbial round holes on the dock itself.  Ugh.

Staying with the cattle dock, I'm wondering about how to set things out in the pens.  I'm assuming that if there is a water trough at all, then there would be one in every pen.  And would they all be in the same position?  I can't think why they wouldn't be.  And where should I put the standpipe?

Did the GWR use the signs that Ratio actually provide in the kit?

One question I don't think I have is about the lamps.  I'm probably not going to use them, as with the dock being right at the front edge of the payout I can see them getting broken with monotonous regularity!

• Like 2

The lamps are a bit rubbish anyway, the style is more suited to the 1950s, but they're not great. The drinking troughs and standpipes are good with a bit of paint. As for the signs, they look a bit modern, or bogus, or both!