Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with it so far.  Don't think I'll have a chance to get any of the static grass on before I have to go away with work for a couple of weeks, unfortunately.

Any thoughts on the road surface?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on putting down the Das this evening, in an effort to make the goods yard look more like cinder ballast.  It's quite a long job, I find that I can only do a little section at a time, as it needs to be all spread, packed down, and kept off the sides of the rails before it dries.  A shame it's such a bright colour!  I won't do the area with the goods shed until I've got the coal office, yard crane, and so on.

And the point still works too, which is nice :)

image.png.9e55fba37053e552cc06dc284adc1c22.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

This is all coming on very well. I like what you’ve done with the cattle dock and then the area around it.

Re: road approach to the cattle dock. I would suggest it’s compacted / dried earth for the period.

The goods yard area at Henley on Thames in the 1930’s was (I think) unique? in that it was tarmac, although I have chosen cobbles in the model. The majority of yards would not have been made up… Looking at contemporary photos it always seems to be soil.

Hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Neal.  I have to say that I'm enjoying doing the scenics (but ask me again after my first encounter with the static grass applicator!)

I'll go with dirt for the track running past the weighbridge and up to the dock, thanks for that.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yes, that's what I was thinking too Nick.  I think I'll have tarmac in the station approach and forecourt, then it petering out just after the gate into the goods yard.

Which reminds me, I've got some gates somewhere.  I must dig them out so that I can make sure I make the road the right width.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Graham T said:

Made a start on putting down the Das this evening, in an effort to make the goods yard look more like cinder ballast.  It's quite a long job, I find that I can only do a little section at a time, as it needs to be all spread, packed down, and kept off the sides of the rails before it dries.  A shame it's such a bright colour!  I won't do the area with the goods shed until I've got the coal office, yard crane, and so on.

And the point still works too, which is nice :)

IMG20211021230644.jpg.cd82a55bd346b1861e016e0f4cb04d3e.jpg

That looks really good Graham.  When painted, I'm sure it will look brilliant.  You might have already covered this but did you mix the DAS with a bit of water and PVA ?  I'm really tempted to have a go with the DAS on my new layout.  I've always used a blend of Woodland Scenics fine soil and dirt, which I think is still a bit too coarse for the very fine tamped down ash ballast  found in these locations.  Using DAS looks a slow process to get it right - so I'm not sure I have the patience.   

• Like 2

Tarmac still wasn't that common outside of roads in the 1930's, although the work creation programmes of the 20's saw a lot of roads tarred. Every goods yard that I have seen outside of towns has been compacted cinders of a grey brown shade. There might, but not always be an area of stone setts just outside of the road entrance to the goods shed, but that's it.

Have a look at photos of the goods yard at Quorn & Woodhouse on the Great Central, other than being tidied up significantly, the surface hàs barely changed. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Gopher said:

That looks really good Graham.  When painted, I'm sure it will look brilliant.  You might have already covered this but did you mix the DAS with a bit of water and PVA ?  I'm really tempted to have a go with the DAS on my new layout.  I've always used a blend of Woodland Scenics fine soil and dirt, which I think is still a bit too coarse for the very fine tamped down ash ballast  found in these locations.  Using DAS looks a slow process to get it right - so I'm not sure I have the patience.   

Thanks.  I didn't actually mix anything with the Das, but used a stiff bristled brush and lots of water to spread and pack it down once it's on the layout.  I think I might try using some PVA too when it comes to covering bigger areas.

It does take some time - I think Chris Nevard suggested a teaspoonful at a time, but I use even less than that.  But I think it will look the part once painted, and there's no great rush anyway!  (I keep telling myself that, one day I might even believe it...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Tarmac still wasn't that common outside of roads in the 1930's, although the work creation programmes of the 20's saw a lot of roads tarred. Every goods yard that I have seen outside of towns has been compacted cinders of a grey brown shade. There might, but not always be an area of stone setts just outside of the road entrance to the goods shed, but that's it.

Have a look at photos of the goods yard at Quorn & Woodhouse on the Great Central, other than being tidied up significantly, the surface hàs barely changed. 

Thanks for that Rob - expect to see shades of Swithland Sidings appearing at Chuffnell Regis :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I finished off the skim of filler across the landscaping earlier, so now my banks are wrinkle-free.  I thought everything had gone smoothly (haha) until I went back later and saw that things had gone slightly Pete Tong where I'd filled the gap between the road surface (card) and the end of the cattle dock (plastic).  B?gger...

Some serious head scratching required now.  How will I fix that gap?

image.png.2e5aa5fd69da67dd38591fff15167bf8.png

image.png.4c293fc151230e883d67e4f699bdaf12.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I had a similar problem with my embankment to bridge joint. The answer isn't very scientific.

Force the damaged area down with a screwdriver, make sure that it stays put. Get some glue in the affected area, leave to set. Make good the damaged area with more filler and PVA.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I had a similar problem with my embankment to bridge joint. The answer isn't very scientific.

Force the damaged area down with a screwdriver, make sure that it stays put. Get some glue in the affected area, leave to set. Make good the damaged area with more filler and PVA.

That sounds like a very practical solution, thanks.  Non-scientific works for me.  Maybe use a hammer instead of the screwdriver?

There's a way of doing just about everything, this was a lash up to remove a leaded bronze bush from a blind hole in an engine crank case. 

Yes, that is the kitchen in the background. The casting went into the oven for a few minutes to expand the aluminium. Tighten the nut and the head of the set screw pulls out the bush. 

IMG_20211020_162408.jpg.ed7efe03c3a50446dd52e3bfd5c06b16.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

The snow has now melted.  I'm sorely tempted to have a crack at the static grass tomorrow, but as I haven't tried it before, and have to leave for the airport just after lunch, then the sensible option would be to leave it alone until I get back.  You can probably guess what I'll do...

image.png.924c92c632d0a625fff7d5e0240684de.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not exactly keyhole surgery, but I'm hoping this solution might be good enough for government work.  I cut out the offending section of card down to the formers underneath, and slotted in the ramp section from the cattle dock, so that it slid underneath the end of the card road surface.  Then I feathered down the card edge with sandpaper.  I'm hoping that copious amounts of filler might now do the trick...

image.png.6a872d548d67d65236af18208d3f1d35.png

Edited by Graham T
spelig
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Graham, before you start on the embankment, have you seen my Bute Road Video No 26? It covers such an embankment. Its on page 54 of my Thread, and starts about 6 minutes in.

Andy, I must confess that I haven't seen it, I can't keep up with your pace!  But I'll certainly take a look, thanks for the heads-up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So, repairs are now complete - hopefully.  I filled the joint between the dock and the ramp section with my favourite Mr Surfacer, super-glued the card to the other end of the ramp, and then packed the voids with paper towel, to stop them becoming bottomless pits for the filler.

image.png.e4db69fd36ad678ae58b115f6123659b.png

Then a simple matter of daubing on the filler (again).  But I kept the amount of water on the card to a minimum this time.  We'll see if it works when it's dried out...

image.png.f5ef87e640edd9022a02d543b2aaab26.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3