Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That reminds me of paintings by one of my favourite British artists, Roy Connelly.  Do you know his work George?

I am familiar with his work. His work always hits the spot. He has an wonderful ability to capture a mood in what would appear to be a few brush strokes. Brilliant.

I've often thought of trying plein air painting, but never have. But with a move to the Gateway to Exmoor on the horizon, who knows?

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I took a few minutes out this morning to get my static grass fix :)

This is a base layer of 2mm summer, then some green blended turf, followed by 6mm summer mix and 6mm wild meadow.  It was all fixed using hairspray.  I'm quite pleased with the results so far; next will be some more targeted application along the edges of the river bank, I think I'll brush on some PVA in small areas to do that.

image.png.5b5f0c8bf26f77b915e36e65a89a91f4.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

I've also made a start on blending in the cattle dock ramp with the adjoining roadway, and have added the water troughs.  I'm not sure whether to put the standpipe inside the pens, or outside.  Any opinions out there please?

image.png.7e74989d58cbd06121089587487d9e74.png

image.png.6ee13ffe70500f99c4fcc859915fc1e9.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Chris, I think it looks ok for a base.  I need to do a lot more to it yet though; I want to add some reeds at the water's edge, not sure how to do those though.  And also some bushes (brambles?  Need to have a look at some photos of the River Lugg first).  I think a weeping willow or two might also fit the bill.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I got a little bit more done after finishing work this evening.  I painted the Das in the goods yard, with a mixture of brown, black, and white acrylics.  The red colour of the Das is quite hard to cover, I'll have to take another look at it in natural light tomorrow to see if is ok.

image.png.81d7b85401c6bee9c55f4a3a1694cdfa.png 

Then I painted the road surface, with similar colours, and fixed the standpipe outside the gates of the cattle dock.  And then it was time for another static grass fix!  I used neat PVA rather than hairspray here, so I could control where it goes, and then a good sprinkling of 2mm summer green to start with.  It looks a bit bright at the moment, but should tone down when I add some different layers onto it; maybe tomorrow.  The rail-built buffer stop will need touching up again as well, it got somewhat splodged when I was painting the goods yard.

I'm also wondering whether or not to re-apply some rust to the sides of the rails?

image.png.35b6ca437c7e42eb636dc9d7684e8816.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The camera certainly shows up things you've missed, doesn't it?  I should probably add some dark patches around the tiebar of the point, I think, where it's been greased...

But that will have to wait until tomorrow, methinks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thank you Chris, I think it looks ok for a base.  I need to do a lot more to it yet though; I want to add some reeds at the water's edge, not sure how to do those though.  And also some bushes (brambles?  Need to have a look at some photos of the River Lugg first).  I think a weeping willow or two might also fit the bill.

Brambles!  Got to have some brambles!

Roja

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

And a little more done in the lunch break.  Blended turf and some longer static grass to add next.  Does anybody have a suggestion of how to model reeds?  I'm thinking about using paintbrush bristles maybe?

image.png.8c11a8ebba02c6e86dc155a8abc27462.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Paintbrush bristles are the traditional go to for making reeds. I remember a beautiful model of Hemyock that used them to good effect.

Indeed.  Woodland Scenics also do very long field grass in various colours.  I've used this cut to different sizes and stuck in a blob of PVA.  

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Paintbrush bristles are the traditional go to for making reeds. I remember a beautiful model of Hemyock that used them to good effect.

I have quite a stock of worn out paintbrushes, so I'll give that a go - thanks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The static grass and cattle dock area is looking great @Graham T.

With regard to the corner, what about a knoll of trees, maybe with a cottage at the edge?

Re: bulrush and reeds…. didn’t springside do some etches years ago? They would be fiddly to do… Alternatively of course a blob of PVA on tin foil or similar off the layout. Insert in very large grass and when dry peel it off and insert onto the layout.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Neal.

Your idea for the corner of the layout is actually the one that I'm leaning towards; my grandparents lived in a semi-detached country cottage that would look the part.  I think perhaps the way ahead is to build it first, and then see how to make it fit into the landscape.

• Like 1