Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

So, that's probably the last layer of static grass for this corner of Chuffnell Regis.  I'll build the feed store and weighbridge office next, which will be set into this grassy area.  I might add a fence or hedge between them and the backscene, not sure yet.  The photos show that I've somehow ended up with a big gap between the left hand rail of the cattle dock siding and the concrete slabs, so I'll have to insert a strip of plastic card there and blend it in.

image.png.c6704239b0ea3b9e7642d80a427cab02.png 

image.png.d0e2792952a3d3694a1d030d8a10d057.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

38 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The photos show that I've somehow ended up with a big gap between the left hand rail of the cattle dock siding and the concrete slabs, so I'll have to insert a strip of plastic card there and blend it in.

Instead of a strip of plastic card, and depending on the size of the gap you could also mask it with a mixture of grass/coarse turf/ground cover etc.  As long as none of it fouls the running rails 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Instead of a strip of plastic card, and depending on the size of the gap you could also mask it with a mixture of grass/coarse turf/ground cover etc.  As long as none of it fouls the running rails 

That's a thought, but then I guess I'd have to do the same for the other rail, so that it looked similar.  And wouldn't all the grot washing out of the wagons kill any growth along the tracks?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's a thought, but then I guess I'd have to do the same for the other rail, so that it looked similar.  And wouldn't all the grot washing out of the wagons kill any growth along the tracks?

Yes good point.  The cow s*** probably would not do any harm (probably help things grow) , but any cleaning chemicals in the wagons or dock may well kill 99% of all known germs and vegetation.   

• Agree 2

Hi Graham, 

I'm enjoying reading about your layout. Some nice modelling there, if I may say so.

I saw you were after suggestions on making reeds.

On my N gauge layout I used short tufts of teased-out garden twine. Sprayed them with some bleach to tone the colour down and then popped them onto the river bank with some contact adhesive. 

Cheers. Andy

20210601_195630.jpg.718eaf705d3d996a8aeff12b8cc1e237.jpg

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy, thanks for the kind words and also for the suggestion regarding reeds.  Some very nice scenery you have there, I especially like the dinghy under the tree.

Edited by Graham T
Spooling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I spent a pleasant couple of hours this evening making up the feed store to go next to the cattle dock.  I think this is more or less the place I'm going to put it.  The building isn't quite finished in this photo, I still need to darken the edges of the roof and then fix it in place.

It's made from 2mm card for the walls, covered in Scalescenes aged red brick, plastic card for the soffits, and coffee stirrers for the door, with a thin slice of cocktail stick for the handle.  Scalescenes again for the tiles.

image.png.34040f70c3e497860881f07cbfc74a34.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That looks like the one in the photograph, nice job and considerably more upmarket than the feed store on my layout!

Thanks Rob.  As for the upmarket look, well, one likes to do things properly at Chuffnell Regis, don't you know?!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've made a start on the weighbridge office as well.  This is from a Railmodel kit (as was the platelayers hut).  I'm planning to build it straight out of the box but, looking at those big windows, I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll have to build some interior detail as well.  Ugh.

image.png.6aa4820d62535e359fdd84f0af0ee004.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

So, as threatened, the first bit of choppage has been committed.  No going back now ...

image.png.9fd3711c2592fdfd3dd3941bd6a236da.png

And with the feed store test fitted in place.  Looks ok I think.  Time for some glue.

Obviously a bit of making good will be needed once the glue has set, mostly just to establish the pathway up to the door.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

B*gger, as they say.  Whilst I was wetting down the filler to make up the path leading to the feed store, I managed to get some water onto the brick paper - which I had forgotten to seal.  Hopefully I will be able to touch it up with some paint, otherwise I'll have to dig up the building and redo the brickwork...

Maybe I can hide at least some of the damage with some grass.

image.png.8cba5d7ecdaf44524f3114d22d4a1582.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neal, I think you're right.  I'll probably try a spot of acrylic paint first, or maybe coloured pencils would be better.  And some grass too of course.

And as you say, thank goodness for normal viewing distance!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm stuck in sunny Mons (aka "the armpit of Europe") at the moment, working on a course for a couple of weeks; hence the radio silence.  But I did manage to make a little progress on the weighbridge office before setting out last weekend.  Yer tiz....

image.png.e1a299434b539f8311eab73ef2d28f0a.png 

Looking forward to getting home at the end of the week and getting stuck in again :)

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Like the proverbial bad penny, I've turned up again :)  Back from a couple of fun weeks in Mons...

I spent a little bit of time this evening on the weighbridge office, and got the roof on and tiled.  Although I'm not 100% happy with what I've done, to be honest.  I also put together some coal staithes, which fortunately I don't think I have made a hash of!

image.png.1d3943d4465d46900098ed5d1fd8d773.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Stage one of repairs to the feed store has now been completed by Messrs Bodgeit and Scarper.  The door has been given another lick of dark stone, the pathway painted, and the bricks touched in with some weathering pencils; not a great colour match, but I'm hoping that I can hide the gaps with some mixed grass.  That's the next step - there's still plenty of time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

image.png.735cd79703aa1413c77675e68d8571bd.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

If you hadn’t told us it had gone wrong…. Having looked at that photo you wouldn’t know 

#gotawaywithit :-)

Thanks Neal, very kind of you.  I've added some grass now and, as you say, I think I might have got away with it!

• Agree 1