Heljan Class 27 (4mm) Green / No yellow panels / No tablet catcher recess

cctransuk

Has Heljan ever released a 4mm. scale Class 27 in green / no yellow panels / no tablet catcher recess?

In other words, I need one of the Cricklewood batch that was temporarily re-allocated to Leicester in 1963.

If such a thing exists, what was the product code, please?

Thanks in anticipation,

John Isherwood.

24 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Has Heljan ever released a 4mm. scale Class 27 in green / no yellow panels / no tablet catcher recess?

In other words, I need one of the Cricklewood batch that was temporarily re-allocated to Leicester in 1963.

Thanks in anticipation,

John Isherwood.

Looking at the Heljan catalogue on Hattons product database it appears not

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Looking at the Heljan catalogue on Hattons product database it appears not

Are you saying that Hattons have a Heljan catalogue that lists all the locos that Heljan have ever produced?

I have scoured the Hattons website, but I cannot find such a thing; could you post a link, please?

Thanks,

John Isherwood.

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Thanks in anticipation,

John Isherwood.

I don't think such a thing will exist John, because it didn't in reality. In his new book 'From Green to Blue' Russ Saxton says that yellow panels arrived on new-builds from D5369, possibly D5370. D5369 was the last of the Scottish batch, D5370 the first of the NER non-boilered batch D5370-8. Brian Haresnape's 'BR Fleet Survey 4' has a photo of D5379, the first of the Cricklewood batch, brand new at St Pancras on 27/4/62 with yellow panels.

1 hour ago, Neil Phillips said:

I don't think such a thing will exist John, because it didn't in reality. In his new book 'From Green to Blue' Russ Saxton says that yellow panels arrived on new-builds from D5369, possibly D5370. D5369 was the last of the Scottish batch, D5370 the first of the NER non-boilered batch D5370-8. Brian Haresnape's 'BR Fleet Survey 4' has a photo of D5379, the first of the Cricklewood batch, brand new at St Pancras on 27/4/62 with yellow panels.

I have, by a process of elimination, come to that conclusion.

I clearly recall seeing my first of what became Class 27, at Wigston - just south of Leicester. I don't recall it having yellow warning panels, but I'm now sure that it must have had them.

Anyway, I have just bought a brand new Heljan D5403 in green syp, and this will become D5405; one of the batch that Leicester shed acquired from Cricklewood.

Thanks for the input,

John Isherwood.

D5370-8 were the Thornaby batch new with small yellow panels, with the Midland batches from D5379 fitted with train heating boilers.

The Heljan model of D5403 has been liveried as in its last years on the Midland before transfer to Scotland and has the cab roof cantrail painted grey roof colour instead of BR green. This livery amendment seemed to be introduced by Derby works after their first major overhaul from 1965 onwards, however the build up of dirt around this area made most of this unnoticeable. I have attached a picture I took of D5407 at Cricklewood in April 67 to illustrate this, as well as one of 5405 taken at Eastfield in August 71.

5405 Eastfield August 71 Slide 1472.jpg

D5407 Cricklewood April 67 Slide 106.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

The Heljan model of D5403 has been liveried as in its last years on the Midland before transfer to Scotland and has the cab roof cantrail painted grey roof colour instead of BR green. This livery amendment seemed to be introduced by Derby works after their first major overhaul from 1965 onwards ....

So - in order to portray D5405 shortly after arriving at Leicester, I should repaint the cab roof cantrail from grey to green.

That's just the sort of 'personalisation' that I enjoy!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I clearly recall seeing my first of what became Class 27, at Wigston - just south of Leicester. I don't recall it having yellow warning panels, but I'm now sure that it must have had them.

Probably there under the dirt - I'm not sure the LMR ever put any of theirs through a washing plant!!

• Agree 1

Thanks very much "Brush Veteran" for sharing those two BRCW shots. 

Have to say the Birmingham "furniture" was so much neater than that of Derby works just up the road. The gangway door hinges are barely visible on those two, compared to the clunky bracketry on the 24s and 25s. 

• 2 months later...