DVR Mk.1 Suburban coach c.1977?

Signaller69

Hello,

I am seeking number information on the Non Corridor Mk.1 57ft S [or SO(NG)] coach used on the Derwent Valley Railway Steam Specials c.1977 (and possibly up to 1979).

There may have been more than 1 vehicle involved. I already have information on the Mk.1 corridor stock used around this time.

Photos I have seen show a 9 door, non lavatory fitted vehicle in BR Blue (as per the Bachmann model below, which I want to number as this vehicle if info can be found), but sadly the number is not legible.

Many thanks,

Martyn.

20210218_230541.jpg.737ea9b3d60f3fdfa72eebc93d7d0106.jpg

4 hours ago, keefer said:

That's just an S - the SO(NG) was a different coach, 2 open saloons with toilets in the middle

Thanks, I'm not really up to speed with the Non Gangwayed stock - I thought that was the SLO with 2 open saloons and toilets in the middle? With the S being just full width compartments?

• Thanks 1

I have a feeling that it or they was either originally from or later went to the K&WVR.

They have a few of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_stock_of_the_Keighley_and_Worth_Valley_Railway#Carriages_and_wagons

Might be worth a search on the Railway Heritage Register but it seems to be down at present.

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/search.asp

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks, I'm not really up to speed with the Non Gangwayed stock - I thought that was the SLO with 2 open saloons and toilets in the middle? With the S being just full width compartments?

Ah, you're right enough, my mistake.

Perils of working from memory!

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I have a feeling that it or they was either originally from or later went to the K&WVR.

They have a few of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_stock_of_the_Keighley_and_Worth_Valley_Railway#Carriages_and_wagons

Might be worth a search on the Railway Heritage Register but it seems to be down at present.

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/search.asp

Jason

Thanks Jason, istr the corridor stock went to the K&WVR so it is quite possible the Suburban also went there (and may have come from there as you say). Will have a look at the links.

According to the Parkin Mk.1 "bible" all the suburban stock without lavatories, other than brake ends, had been withdrawn by 1970, BUT for some reason the 'S' are not mentioned in the context of withdrawal dates. If they had also gone by 1970, then it would appear the DVR must have bought or loaned one from a Preservation Group, but it doesn't seem to have been recorded as a DVR asset, unlike the corridor stock.

We were still running 57' non corridor stock without toilets on the ER until 1977. and there were a few used on outer suburban runs with toilets, they "shouldn't" have been worked to Moorgate but I bet they did! Something to do with toilets emptying onto LT track in the tunnels.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The three blue/cream corridors went to NYMR.  I rode in them there, still in DVR paintwork.

They had white rose stickers over the double arrows on the carriage mirrors!

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, 45655 said:

The three blue/cream corridors went to NYMR.  I rode in them there, still in DVR paintwork.

They had white rose stickers over the double arrows on the carriage mirrors!

Which also fits in with my thinking that they possibly had something to do with the owner of Joem.

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1