Modelling British Railways Wagonload Formations

Simon Bendall

• RMweb Gold

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Found a copy in the East Croydon Station WHSmiths of all unexpected places. 

There is one copy left as of 09:15 this morning. 

That's harking back to the good old days, W.H.Smith's station bookstalls were the place to get your combines/loco shed books/shed directories etc from! I remember getting most of mine from the one on platform 1 at Sheffield Midland.

Mike.

On 12/03/2021 at 16:18, Simon Bendall said:

With Andy's kind permission, a plug for volume 2 of my Modelling British Railways guides from Key Publishing, this following on from the engineers' wagons. This one sees the focus switch to revenue wagons and takes three of the most popular wagonload commodities - china clay, timber and scrap metal - and provides a detailed history of their operation throughout the diesel era from the 1960s to today. Also covered in detail are the operation of the multi-bogie nuclear flask wagons and all types of Cargowaggon ferry van. Accompanying the detailed text are numerous photos, many previously unpublished and a selection of modelling projects. Many of the photos have detailed captions that explain what's in the train so they can be accurately recreated in miniature. So if you want to know how recent or upcoming releases from the likes of Accurascale, Kernow, Revolution and others can be used, this has the answers.  Contributors include David Ratcliffe on the prototype side and Alex Carpenter, James Makin and Barrie Jones on the models.

It will be on sale from the end of next week in the likes of Smiths and other newsagents. Also now available from the Key online shop at https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECBRENG2/Modelling BR Engineers Wagonload Formations

Price is £8.99 and its 116 pages. A few sample pages below.

P1 Cover.jpg

P6-7 Clay.jpg

P26-27 Clay formations.jpg

P38-39 Timber.jpg

P66-67 Nuclear.jpg

P101-102 Scrap models.jpg

P108-109 Cargowaggons.jpg

Hi Simon, i have ordered my copy. Can you disclose if there will be any more volumes, as they are a great read and for references. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, warringtonbankquay said:

I received my copy yesterday.  These first two volumes are excellent and take me back to the very best of the modelling and prototype articles which used to grace Rail Express in the Sutton/Bendall/Bayer years.

I am already looking forward to Volume 3...and more.  Highly recommended.

Chris

Rail Express's loss etc!

Mike.

• Agree 1

On 13/03/2021 at 11:23, Alcanman said:

This looks great, just what I've been looking for.  I'm planning a BR Speedlink era timber unloading siding, for my next small layout project.

I hope I can pick up a copy in my local WH Smiths before they, sadly, close down for good!

Picked up a copy in my local WH Smiths. Great photos and informative text, not to mention great value for money. Contains exactly what I was looking for regarding timber traffic in the BR Speedlink era. 

Look forward to more 'Wagonload Formations'!

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great book and superb value for money.  However, it’s gone straight to my bookshelf as I’ve little need for it at present. The subject matter covers, perhaps intentionally, some esoteric traffics and for that reason it doesn’t score as highly as the first book IMHO. There is no mention of intermodal, military, mineral or tank traffic (China clay excepted) but it’s there for future reference.  Looking forward to part 3.

Griff

1 hour ago, griffgriff said:

The subject matter covers, perhaps intentionally, some esoteric traffics and for that reason it doesn’t score as highly as the first book IMHO. There is no mention of intermodal, military, mineral or tank traffic (China clay excepted)

It was never the intention to cover everything in one go, that's what future parts are for ;)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Another really useful magazine. I found the section on Cargowaggons especially interesting as it’s a wagon that I haven’t paid much attention to previously and I hadn’t realised they date back to 1979. I might have to pick one up for the layout!

• Like 1

Hi All,

I found this in my local Tesco's on Saturday & spent the rest of the weekend with my head buried in it!

Excellent reference material.

So much so, I have ordered some additional rolling stock on the basis of some of the images.

Already looking forward to any future editions with one (hopefully) having a chapter relating to the conveyance of steel products.....

Thank you Simon Bendall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2021 at 19:43, griffgriff said:

Great book and superb value for money.  However, it’s gone straight to my bookshelf as I’ve little need for it at present. The subject matter covers, perhaps intentionally, some esoteric traffics and for that reason it doesn’t score as highly as the first book IMHO. There is no mention of intermodal, military, mineral or tank traffic (China clay excepted) but it’s there for future reference.  Looking forward to part 3.

Griff

7 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

I found this in my local Tesco's on Saturday & spent the rest of the weekend with my head buried in it!

Excellent reference material.

So much so, I have ordered some additional rolling stock on the basis of some of the images.

Already looking forward to any future editions with one (hopefully) having a chapter relating to the conveyance of steel products.....

Thank you Simon Bendall.

Different strokes for different blokes!

Mike.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2021 at 17:03, Alcanman said:

Picked up a copy in my local WH Smiths. Great photos and informative text, not to mention great value for money. Contains exactly what I was looking for regarding timber traffic in the BR Speedlink era. 

Look forward to more 'Wagonload Formations'!

Mal

Having had time to read the section on Timber traffic, I've discovered that the Bachmann model OTA (exVDA) is too late for my modelling period of 1980-1985 as they did not come along until 1988. Time to buy some Hornby OTAs (ex OCA) and repaint them like this one.

Thanks Simon.

OTA & OBA wagons at Crianlarich.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Different strokes for different blokes!

Mike.

Indeed Mike.... I still bought it though ;) ... it’s just vol 2 is on the shelf and vol 1 is on the workbench.

Besides.... isn’t all a bit modern for you?

Griff

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, griffgriff said:

Indeed Mike.... I still bought it though ;) ... it’s just vol 2 is on the shelf and vol 1 is on the workbench.

Besides.... isn’t all a bit modern for you?

Griff

Well, you would think so, but wagons is wagons!!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

My copy arrived yesterday and it's a good read.

Is it possible to include train reporting codes (e.g. 7M20) where known? Doing so would make searching for similar trains on Flickr much easier!

Steven B

I enjoyed reading through my copy at the weekend. There is a lot of detailed information about the history of the various wagon types covered. I am fairly familiar with most of the wagons and traffic studied apart from the multi-bogie flask wagons. By the end I had learned a lot of things I did not even know I did not know.

The quality of the photos is very high, though it would have been good if there were more photos from the 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s. Though I expect that is due to lack of earlier photos to choose from. Although outside the scope of this edition the early flatrols used on domestic nuclear waste from Bridgwater to Sellafield travelled on ordinary wagon load services quite probably at times with clay and scrap traffic all on the same train.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
clarification
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...