'Across the Yard' and now, 'On Shed'.

Worsdell forever

Paul, been an admirer of you layouts for a while. Your new fence can you give us a few details as I am thinking of doing some more work on my P4 NER/LNER layout. Which I need at least some fencing on. The layout is packed away  while I do some work on a station building. 

Well that looks to be a book I need to get hold of.

Will be some time until the bank account recovers enough for me to buy some more modelling gear or books sadly. At only a bit under 6 quid its pretty cheap....I wonder... no must pay SWMBO's study bill. 

Happily though I have more than enough modelling to get on with at the moment. 

Thanks for the heads up! 

Edited by DougN

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Just now, Worsdell forever said:

According to the introduction the book was prepared in 1908/9, the drawing for the gate is dated 30th March 1908.

It's much the same with a lot of Midland standard drawings - they're from around about then or later so for c. 1902 one has to take a punt that they represent existing best practice.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, waggy said:

Hi Paul.

I bought some chinchilla dust today what glue have you used in the yard area ?

Graham

Neat PVA  brushed on.

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Impressive. I was wondering how you had got the tubes through the braces on the gate.

Another thread I'll be following.

I didn't, they pass through the verticals and the diagonal braces are built around them, two strips of 40x10thou and packed with Squadron white putty filler.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

When I read how you had done it further up the thread I was impressed by the quality of both the filler and the filling, not to mention the neat job of finishing it off. The reinforcing straps are a very nice job too. There was a very similar gate buried in the hedge on the driveway to Market Weighton station for years, along with a couple of concrete posts with square hoops for oil lamps.

Despite being up since seven, I'm clearly not awake. I meant Middleton on the Wolds station. I last went there about 20 years ago having bought an old Ford Consul in the village, I thought I better have a test drive before heading back the other side of the penines.

Picture borrowed from disused stations for illustrative purposes only.

middleton7.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Despite being up since seven, I'm clearly not awake. I meant Middleton on the Wolds station. I last went there about 20 years ago having bought an old Ford Consul in the village, I thought I better have a test drive before heading back the other side of the penines.

Picture borrowed from disused stations for illustrative purposes only.

middleton7.jpg

That will be the same kind of gate, they're basically a lighter version of a level crossing gate.

• Informative/Useful 2

I'm probably a bit strange, but I always find a layout convincing as soon as I spot some details that rings the "I've been somewhere like that" bell in the memory.

Oddly enough, there's the remains of an almost identical gate guarding the remains of the colliery spur near Sutton Scarsdale on the old Midland Railway branch to Glapwell in Derbyshire. Parts of both have disappeared under junction 29 of the M1.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/03/2021 at 19:10, Compound2632 said:

Why is the Midland D299 open always just in half off the edge of the photo or just too out of focus to bag its number for the list?

Ah, well... 

It was put there just for you... 

It's the same with NER C2s (and others), lots of numbers are known but there's so many variations in body strapping, brakes and axleboxes, I've got a spreadsheet that I fill in whenever I spot a new one! 

• Like 1