Incident at Kirkby

• RMweb Gold

The unit is planned (has) to be dragged to Kirkdale, as a 3 car otherwise couplings will be an issue. The 37 is dragging it back onto the track and attempts are being made to rerail it, sort of "as it goes"  I'm not certain of the exact details. Planned to move at a very low speed after service finishes tonight - but that remains to be seen.

• Informative/Useful 3

On 16/03/2021 at 00:31, jools1959 said:

Urm, I think you’ll find the middle coach, the PTSO which has the transformer and rectifier installed, deals with the 25Kv AC or 750V DC via the pantograph or shoe gear and then sends the correct current to the traction motors via bus wires.  None of the other internal wiring needs to be altered.

The Class 507 DMS that was converted into a 314 basically had the shoe gear removed and a pan up or down selector switch installed in the driver’s cab.  I think this was same arrangement that happened with the three 508’s but obviously kept the shoe gear, that worked for Silverlink on the Euston - Watford Junction services.  

The pan selector was if they coupled to a 313 and needed to drop the pan remotely.  I think the 508’s were also banned on the NLL because of breaks in the 3rd rail after the wires went up, but I’m happy to be proven wrong.

On 16/03/2021 at 00:54, roythebus1 said:

The motors work on 750 volts dc, no ac on that side. all control voltages are about 110dc if I remember correctly. surely there's no driving trailers on them, driving coaches are both motor coaches. 

Pretty sure there were big differences between the 313 on one hand and the 314/315 on the other. 

The 313 was definitely a DC unit with camshaft control, which had the pantograph and transformer on the centre car so it could receive DC either from the third rail or from the output of the transformer.   One of them ran as a 2-car DC only unit for a while when there was some problem with the third car.  I'm not certain of 507/508 but it would be logical for them to be similar to a 313 but without the AC parts.  

The 314 and 315 were AC-only units and I believe had phase angle control which was "state of the art" or for such units (on BR at least) but not compatible with a DC supply.  So converting a 507/508 motor coach into a 314 would have involved replacing some of the control gear, but converting one into a 313 should have been more straightforward.  

• RMweb Gold
On 15/03/2021 at 16:29, john new said:

Roughly how long before the initial reports go up. Nothing yet about either Kirkby (probably serious enough) or the EMU fire at Worthing. (possibly too minor).

Still nothing on RAIB's current investigations page but as mentioned above there is news on the Network Rail site.

It’s the second such incident at Kirkby. I think the first was late 1980, s if I recall. Also in 1875 ( I think) there was a massive rear end collision about 20 yards to the west between an excursion and a freight. There was also the post war accident just up the line at Simonswood which resulted in lives lost . Maghull is another station that seems to have had more than its fair share of rail calamity too over the years. This combined with 2or 3 bad smashes at Ormskirk and the awful ‘ head on’ at Burscough adds up the old Elr lines in the area being a tad unlucky 

According to a poster on RailUKforums there have been similar incidents at Kirkby in 1987 and 1997.  I haven't yet found any other reference to either of them.

Edit: According to this article in the Liverpool Echo there was yet another similar incident in 1991.  Again, further information appears to be not straightforward to find.

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, paulj said:

That appears to be going quite fast, however it appears to be a speeded up video due to the frame rate. Scary for those involved. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Which, I think, is a standard process to facilitate certain aspects of questioning/answer recording regarding any potential future court processes. It is not, of itself, any indication of guilt but a means to ensure Q&A is done after a caution. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Anyone arrested is innocent until/unless proven guilty, but arrest of traincrew after an accident isn't usual and implies some suspicion of criminal behaviour.  It's not really appropriate to speculate on anything beyond that, including the comments on the Echo story. 

I'm going to suggest this thread is locked due to the prospect of legal proceedings.  

• Agree 1