Proposed Lincolnshire electrification

I wondered if it would be possible to put a pantograph on a wagon with a transformer inside to power a diesel electric loco from 25kv. Then realised that you would need a cab on one end so converting a 90 or 91 to multi with a 66 would probably be easier.

• RMweb Gold

I remember when I was FGW and the Class 180’s were first being introduced, they suffered badly because of overheating.  As they were based on the Alstom Coradia design which is successful in Europe, but trying to squeeze everything into the UK gauge body shell proved problematic, mainly airflow over the engines and radiators.

I believe that the Class 175’s didn’t suffer as badly but they didn’t run at the higher speeds as the 180’s.  I believe it was largely sorted but they still overheat from time to time.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hesperus said:

I wondered if it would be possible to put a pantograph on a wagon with a transformer inside to power a diesel electric loco from 25kv. Then realised that you would need a cab on one end so converting a 90 or 91 to multi with a 66 would probably be easier.

On the prototype for everything thread a few days ago there was comment on the Class 91 / Class 43 units use when the 91s were being introduced.  Could a single 43 push one of those sets off the wires if reintroduced as elctro-diesel bi-mode units.  Seems more sensible than scrapping the MK4 coaches.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Skeggy isn’t one of the possible locations of the ‘free ports’ that HMG thinks are going to revive the economy in coastal areas, is it?

Skegness isn`t a port . Boston, 20 miles away is but I am not sure if has has been awarded freeport status.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, class26 said:

Skegness isn`t a port . Boston, 20 miles away is but I am not sure if has has been awarded freeport status.

Probably too small and limited facilities compared with the likes of Great Yarmouth etc.

• Agree 1

On 17/03/2021 at 21:22, john new said:

On the prototype for everything thread a few days ago there was comment on the Class 91 / Class 43 units use when the 91s were being introduced.  Could a single 43 push one of those sets off the wires if reintroduced as elctro-diesel bi-mode units.  Seems more sensible than scrapping the MK4 coaches.

The reason they were using HST power cars with 91s in this instance was because the MK4 coach's weren't ready.  The 43 only had the engine running to provide ETH as HST stock is a different voltage to everything else but hours of idling caused problems with unburnt fuel in the exhaust so they changed to duel power.

Being as both are surplus to requirements it would be interesting to see if a 91+43 could haul a freight train.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Hesperus said:

The reason they were using HST power cars with 91s in this instance was because the MK4 coach's weren't ready.  The 43 only had the engine running to provide ETH as HST stock is a different voltage to everything else but hours of idling caused problems with unburnt fuel in the exhaust so they changed to duel power.

Being as both are surplus to requirements it would be interesting to see if a 91+43 could haul a freight train.

Technically (providing you run a high quality cable the length of the train so they can work in multiple) they could - BUT as both were designed as high speed passenger trains the gearing is totally unsuitable for freight.

You wouldn't need to run a cable. You could either fit the HST with buffers and run them back to back as a pair, or if you want then you could adopt the American solution of radio control.

Regearing for whatever speed is needed shouldn't be too difficult, but whether the cooling would be up to working flat out at 65mph for long periods rather than 125mph I couldn't say.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 14/03/2021 at 01:26, jools1959 said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I was talking to a friend earlier and he mentioned that Network Rail had submitted a proposal to the DfT for electrifying the Peterborough to Doncaster joint line via Spalding, Sleaford (both station and bypass) and Lincoln, plus the line from Nottingham to Skegness as part of a extension of the MML electrification.

It sounded quite a wild idea, though I can see the benefits of electrification of the joint line to reduce NR’s carbon footprint, but the Nottingham - Skegness route to me doesn’t sound like a very good business model considering the low numbers travelling, except for peak times.

If that were the case then they would have made the OLE at the Werrington dive under ready for it from day one?

10 hours ago, ess1uk said:

If that were the case then they would have made the OLE at the Werrington dive under ready for it from day one?

Not necessarily - changing a project late in the day because someone has had an unfunded idea for a further enhancement usually isn't a good idea (scope creep).  

I imagine the divenunder has been built with clearance for future OLE.  If  that's been done then tweaking the OLE to make the connection through it and off towards Spalding would be a tiny part of a project to electrify the whole route.   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

I imagine the divenunder has been built with clearance for future OLE.  If  that's been done then tweaking the OLE to make the connection through it and off towards Spalding would be a tiny part of a project to electrify the whole route.   

Think it would need a solid conductor bar