Pre printed OO Mk 1 coach sides. can anyone Identify please.

DSCN4037.JPG.6672fa6ed1568e42e42a686f3284cedc.JPGI recently acquired at great expense, to whit six whole English Pounds and some Eighty Pence,  three OO gauge coaches.  One Triang Mk 1 Composite, and two further Mk1s with pre printed plastic overlays.  One vehicle had pre printed Kitchen Car overlays draped over a Lima BG body and the other Mk 1CK overlays over a Mainline Mk1 CK.  All the sides stuck out beyond the edges of the roof, but all of them peeled off reasonably easily due to the thickness of the layers of glue used, 

I can't work out what make they are.  They look re usable, I'm thinking of attaching the Kitchen car sides direct to the lima glazing and cutting away the upper bodysides and thinning the lower bodysides or even making new lower bodysides.

The colours look very good, not unlike Mainline Red/ Cream, much better than I could achieve with paint .

I am curious as to the make of the sides as they look very useful and I wouldn't mind getting a few more if the Lima BG conversion to Kitchen Car works.

Any suggestions.

DSCN4035.JPG

Edited by DavidCBroad

• RMweb Premium

I'm not certain, because they have been out of production for so long, but they might be PC Kits.  They produced a number of coach sides printed on acetate but it must be 25 years since they went out of business.  I'd say those are a lucky find, and you will be even luckier if you find any more!

• Thanks 1

I wish - that Dapol or someone would produce a clear plastic body shell for their Stanier 57! stock that was slightly narrower so you could apply a pre printed Clear vinyl side. Electra do 00 versions of various Mk1 stock although I have never tried one.

A few years ago I produced a vinyl home printed kitchen card sides for use on a modified Bachmann 50' brake, The windows were not transparent and I could not get the colours quite right. The model in the photo is now awaiting later BR maroon sides. I used Inkscape to do the drawings.

kitchen car.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'd agree they are PC, I've got a couple of packs of blue/grey somewhere which include full kitchen cars. ISTR that the kitchen car in blue/grey pack is a later diagram than the red/cream ones. There are four different coach types in each pack.

• Like 1

Found one of my packs, the missing sides at the bottom are from an FO, not sure where they went:

IMG_20210314_195218.jpg.71c44f1914c97020eac2f5f7689252ad.jpg

The types are:

Dia 701/702 RK (the notes that came with the sides says that the red/cream ones are dia 700

SK/SO/TSO

BCK

FO

• Like 1

I had a go at re building the Kitchen car.  It isn't great but at least the windows have clear pastic behind them.

I cut the Linma BG sides down using the roof and glazing as a template then thinned the lower sides as much as I dared.  There was still a step between the lower bodyside and the glazing  but the  sides still attached rather well. Reprofiing the ends sort of beat me  and the end profile isn't right but the sides look a lot better with the roof overhanging the sides and the windows not having solid plastic behind them. See pics. It's on a couple of odd bogies.

The trouble is I really want a LMS 50ft vehicle.  Oh well, there's always eBay

DSCN4134.JPG

DSCN4145a.JPG

DSCN4141.JPG

Edited by DavidCBroad

I used loads of those back in the day - so much better than the huge "window ledges" on the Hornby and especially Lima mk1s of time. I always thought the flat glazing behind the moulded side absolutely ruined the realism of what were otherwise not bad coaches. I then moved on to South Eastern Flushglaze window packs for the rest of my mk1s. Another great improvement. Modellers of today don't know they're born!