Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Is N gauge under-rated?

12 minutes ago, Ben A said:

The best way for N gauge models to reduce in price is for more of them to be sold.  And the way to encourage more sales is to produce smooth running, high quality models.   Then, as sales increase, hopefully prices can start to come down in a virtuous circle.

cheers

Ben A.

When I buy a new loco I’m doing it for the good of the hobby, not for my own personal gratification.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

33 minutes ago, Chris M said:

When I buy a new loco I’m doing it for the good of the hobby, not for my own personal gratification.

I'll try that one on SWMBO next time.

I'll report back after, and include the hospital visiting hours..... ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I have a Farish "large Prairie" — not quite as old as the one Paddy described I suspect — which actually runs pretty well. I have several Dapol Panniers and they all run very well indeed — albeit rather noisily. The only locos I have that run badly — apart from those with split gears — are the various Dapol 2-6-2Ts of the GWR and Ivatt varieties.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Well, I have a Farish "large Prairie" — not quite as old as the one Paddy described I suspect — which actually runs pretty well. I have several Dapol Panniers and they all run very well indeed — albeit rather noisily. The only locos I have that run badly — apart from those with split gears — are the various Dapol 2-6-2Ts of the GWR and Ivatt varieties.

Hi @D9020 Nimbus

My first 2-6-2T had the smaller bogie wheels and was awful.  I now have one of the Chinese produced ones and it runs OK.

Kind regards 

Paddy

Edited by Paddy

6 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi Paddy,

Interesting post, but I am not quite sure what you are arguing for.

As you said, the Minitrix Britannia ran well; the Farish did not.  That was what put you off N gauge: the running.  I agree with this, but the way to solve it IMO is not to cut costs.  It is to improve the standard of the chassis.

Kato US chassis are superb - smooth running, powerful, reliable - and for me are the desirable benchmark 

But the US market has two key differences:  Firstly, dieselisation in the US took place well before it did in the UK.   So while some steam locos are available, nearly all US modellers run diesels in varying numbers, and I think most would agree that *generally* good running is easier to achieve with bogie chassis than steam type chassis.  Secondly, the US market is huge so development and tooling costs are amortized across more models.  The numbers behind this are really stark: for a typical locomotive with, say, a $100k development/tooling and $50 unit assembly cost, the price each for 1000 is $150; for 2000 models that number comes down to $100, and for 5000 models it comes down to $70.  And that is without 20% VAT.  Typically US production runs are 5-10,000; yet a British N gauge loco will do well do sell through 2000 units.

For the same reasons comparing the price of N models with 00 is disingenuous.  Actually, N gauge models are cheaper to tool and manufacture but the lower production numbers offset that advantage.

The best way for N gauge models to reduce in price is for more of them to be sold.  And the way to encourage more sales is to produce smooth running, high quality models.   Then, as sales increase, hopefully prices can start to come down in a virtuous circle.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi @Ben A

I am not arguing for anything really - just musing.  I would agree with you in some cases the mechanical side of British N Gauge locos has not progressed as quickly as model detail.  My point about prices is that irrespective of the reason, someone choosing a model will see that an N Gauge model costs the same as OO but is much smaller (can equate to poorer value, less for your money in the mind).

I agree with all your points and despite the advances in British N Gauge since 2000 we have not achieved critical mass.  May be in reality, British N Gauge models should be a lot more expensive than they are to allow the levels of running quality etc. that many seem to desire?

There does seem to be a bit of rock and hard place with British N Gauge.

Kind regards

Paddy

Edited by Paddy
  • Like 1

Another current issue with British N Gauge is availability.  I am fortunate, as I have been “collecting” N Gauge stock since 1996 so already have than I could ever justify!

:rolleyes:

Back on the Poole Farish days we simply got a few new releases each year and that was your lot.  However, unlike today most of their range was readily available to buy new.  The models were in no way as fine but someone starting out could buy a lot of what they wanted (funds permitting).

With batch manufacturing we are in a “snooze  you lose” situation or even worse, a person was simply not modelling at the time it was released.  This means you either have to hunt the pre-loved market or wait/hope the manufacturer will do another run.  Personally I enjoy the “hunt” but I can also see how many people would find this frustrating and demotivating.

We now seem to be in a position where the releases from the major players has almost reduced to Poole Farish levels but without the general range availability.

Kind regards

Paddy

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

My point about prices is that irrespective of the reason, someone choosing a model will see that an N Gauge model costs the same as OO but is much smaller (can equate to poorer value, less for your money in the mind).

This has been mooted as one of the reasons why Triang's TT venture failed in the 1960s

• Agree 1

Most modern N diesels come in at around £120-£130, compared to around £150 for 00. N Dmus are around £160, 00 Dmus usually over £220, sometimes a lot more. N coaches are often £10 cheaper thab their 00 equivalents. 

N is slightly cheaper on unit price, despite silly price rises recently. Of course, you might need more N gauge for a given space... 

6 hours ago, fezza said:

N is slightly cheaper on unit price, despite silly price rises recently. Of course, you might need more N gauge for a given space... 

You hit the nail on the head. If I went back to 00 in the same space I would only be able to have a 5 coach train to represent an express rather than a 10 coach train. Even if N coaches are slightly cheaper a larger investment is required. The upside is that it looks so much better. Dapol coaches are noticeably better value than Farish. I would have liked a full rake of Farish mk2s but having seen the price I opted for a Dapol HST instead. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Chris M said:

Looking through this month’s editions BRM, Model Rail and Hornby Magazine one could believe that N gauge had ceased to exist.

It's relevant to say that this year has reduced opportunities to photograph layouts and I am immensely grateful to those modellers who have been able to take photographs to a publishable standard and work with us to get some great and creative results. How many of those have been N gauge? None, not one. We have had occasional tentative submissions of N gauge layouts but the images have been nowhere near publishable quality (photographing smaller scales does have more technical challenges so I'm not blaming those layout owners).

However we've got some great 2mm finescale content next month where we worked with the owner before lockdown came.

So, please, do not blame any of the magazines for dealing with the hands dealt. Turning it around, have you submitted your layout article to any of the mags mentioned? No? If not it's just part of the problem.

Are you prepared to reconsider your sweeping statement that paints us, and others, as the bad guys?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Totally understand that you folks are working hard to produce a magazine in very difficult circumstances. I was just saying how I felt having looked through the mags this month; I certainly don’t see you folks at BRM as bad guys. I apologise for giving that impression. From what I have seen over the years you folks do a lot of work to further the hobby and I thank you for your work.

The reason for starting this topic is that I think a lot of folk don’t consider the value of N as a suitable scale for making a great layout, especially if you want to emulate a main line situation. This is something I have come to realise slowly over the last six years or so. Perhaps a better thread title would be - how can we encourage more modellers to seriously consider N for their next project?

Once again apologies for my clumsy comment. Apologies also to any others (such as Chris Nevard) involved in producing magazines.

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

However we've got some great 2mm finescale content next month where we worked with the owner before lockdown came.

Let me guess, a reinvented particular colliery layout perhaps?

Missy.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
Just now, -missy- said:

Let me guess, a reinvented particular colliery layout perhaps?

Missy.

Spot on plus some nice inspiration plans from Jerry for other small collieries that would suit small scales, including N, to make scenes in the landscape. Some kind assistance from Restock Museum too so it's a lot more than just 'ticking an N gauge box'.